MRJ 250 - Contents Only thread

PMP

• RMweb Premium

I do own a lathe. I have had it for about 10 years now and used it once to make a tapered chimney pot for a house.

The milling machine gets more use.

They make life slightly easier for some jobs (like making tapered brass signal posts) but I had 25 years of modelling before I got them and they are certainly not essential.

Now, the piercing saw, files and soldering iron, I would be lost without them!

My god all this talk of ownership of lathes ,last time I went near a lathe was in the early fifties at school and teacher banned me after just five minutes if I remember correctly! 

I loved my schools four and a half inch Boxfords.......

But that was 4 decades ago, and they aren't there any more. (Workshop Theory and Practice and Engineering Drawing.  They don't do proper things at school any more!)

• RMweb Premium

I have been trying to think of articles in MRJ that were centred around lathes (see what I did there!) and I can only ever recall a handful. I recall one on turning cast wheels, one on making chimneys and domes and one on making wobbly plastic centred wheels run true.

Apart from that, there has been an article or two about making things like rivetting tools, which have needed a lathe or milling machine.

It has never been too top heavy with model engineering type articles, plenty of which are available in other publications if that is your interest.

Now, with the MRJ way of publishing, using traditional methods, with no web presence or email, can you really expect a focus on computer related modelling?

As I have said already, the best of MRJ for me is when people find ways to produce stunning models using "ordinary" tools and materials, available to us all, perhaps using techniques that they have developed themselves and are willing to pass on to others.

• RMweb Gold

I have been trying to think of articles in MRJ that were centred around lathes (see what I did there!) and I can only ever recall a handful. I recall one on turning cast wheels, one on making chimneys and domes and one on making wobbly plastic centred wheels run true.

Apart from that, there has been an article or two about making things like rivetting tools, which have needed a lathe or milling machine.

It has never been too top heavy with model engineering type articles, plenty of which are available in other publications if that is your interest.

Now, with the MRJ way of publishing, using traditional methods, with no web presence or email, can you really expect a focus on computer related modelling?

As I have said already, the best of MRJ for me is when people find ways to produce stunning models using "ordinary" tools and materials, available to us all, perhaps using techniques that they have developed themselves and are willing to pass on to others.

I have in hand for a future addition an article on the building of one of the stunning 3mm locos for Ballyconnell Road which features inside working valve gear amongst other things. The only machine tool used is a Proxon minidrill and stand on which all the turnings are done. Its Kitchen table technology at its best.

I have a Unimat 3 lathe and a little Proxon mill both of which I find very useful. Ive had the former about ten years, the latter I got for a significant birthday a couple of years ago. They make a lot of jobs much quicker and easier but, like Tony, I modelled for many years before that with just a selection of hand tools.

Jerry 

Archived