The Wallows

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Oh John you know me so well, my take on the Wallows will be as usual, bent, massaged and manipulated as to be as close to reality as Villa wining the premiership. :)

Edited by Mike

Spent a great afternoon in the activity bunker with my 9 year old grandson Ben. Considering Ben has never worked with these type of tools before, he did a fantastic job drilling. countersinking, using his own power drill, inserting screws and using PVA. A well done Ben from one happy and of course proud Grandad. Looking forward to have him building track once my supplies arrive. :)

post-185-0-04881500-1484567400_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-09738800-1484567417_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-49829700-1484567430_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Track laying has commenced but, although I have plenty of PCB strip I've run out of rail, so it's a phone call to Marcway for another 6 yard pack. I can of course add the front curved baseboard fascia which will increase the width and length at the head shunt end. I also need to finish gaping the PCB sleepers and start on the electrical feeds.

post-185-0-56751500-1484999720_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-73267900-1484999739_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Ah!.....my Alexandra Yard trackplan still keeps cropping up ..........oddly enough , as the original layout now forms the backscene for Jim McGeown' s Connoisseur Models website and lives in Jim's workshop, I thought after 20 years I'd build another one. ........which is underway......same track layout as before

John

• Like 3

Ah!.....my Alexandra Yard trackplan still keeps cropping up ..........oddly enough , as the original layout now forms the backscene for Jim McGeown' s Connoisseur Models website and lives in Jim's workshop, I thought after 20 years I'd build another one. ........which is underway......same track layout as before

John

Hi John, couldn't resist it, I'll be using Harts Hill Iron works instead of Dawkins warehouse plus a few other twists. Thanks for the inspiration.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Mike another one to follow with intrigue, enjoyment and some amazement.

I still have the "Digest" magazine with that plan in it and it was one I wanted to build but double slips and extra points kept appearing so I expanded into my present layout.

I expect you will be giving a full and regular account of the build as you go.

Great stuff.

Best

KISS works for me too Mike.  That's Keep It Simple Stupid.  Worked for me through my working life too.

Well I've kept the DCC & Sound bit but stepped back from the digital LED control panel and the digital control of my point work preferring the simpler manual approach of using a printed plan showing magnet positions, point route settings and wagon choices.  I have used the Fast Tracks Bull Frog mechanism http://www.handlaidtrack.com/bf-0002 to manually operate my point work.

I notice you are using Grainge & Hoddder http://www.graingeandhodder.co.uk/ quite a bit Mike.  I must say they are very good as I've used them too and I'm now looking to them for my next layout boards, and they're local too.

I already have some thoughts on the plan which basically will be a less is more concept.

Regards

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2

Mike,

I just wanted to comment on the work you and Ben did and to say "well done."  I have to think back when I was around that age and I would "help" my dad with projects (both my grandfathers passed before I was born).  Those were some of the best memories I have today and a big reason why I am in this great hobby of ours.  I'm sure Ben will remember working with you for years to come.  :)

Hello Dave I'm sure Mike won't mind if we slip into the exchange siding for a few words.

If you click on my link to Fast tracks in my above post you will get a menu page from them.  On the left-hand side the last item on the list is video documentation, click on it and select Bullfrog, there are 3 to watch.

The 6th one down the left-hand list is Bullfrog this has all the bits and pieces you may need to operate the system.

I found them very quick & easy to assemble and have found them very reliable in use.  You can see my build/install of them on my King Street layout, see link in my sig, probably a few pages back from my latest posts but you should get everything you want to know from their Canadian site video. 

Edit:   It starts on P9 and it has one of their videos there too.

Back on track again for the Wallows.

Best

Edited by Barnaby

Barnaby and Mike,

Thanks for your responses concerning Bull Frogs and Bluepoints.  It does seem a bit odd that me in the U.S. is getting advise from you two guys in UK about stuff from North America.  lol  Truth be told, I've seen them advertised, checked out the websites, etc., but nothing beats straight reviews from non-associated folks.  Thanks!

Dave