Build a DCC Controller

• Administrators

Sadly, treading in his footsteps does not only require the purchase of BRM, but also membership of MERG before purchasing the kit :rolleyes: 

Both of which are good things.

Truth is, I wanted a DCC controller. I didn't want a project. What I got was a well thought through kit which I could buy as a single item from a group who would then provide support if I hit any problems. As it was, I didn't, mainly because the kit is so well designed and presented but if I had there are forums, local groups and even regular exhibition stands I could make use of to bail me out.

There are many ways to aquire a DCC controller, I liked the MERG version but then, as I say, I'm not into electronics and don't need another hobby.

Both of which are good things.

Truth is, I wanted a DCC controller. I didn't want a project. What I got was a well thought through kit which I could buy as a single item from a group who would then provide support if I hit any problems. As it was, I didn't, mainly because the kit is so well designed and presented but if I had there are forums, local groups and even regular exhibition stands I could make use of to bail me out.

There are many ways to aquire a DCC controller, I liked the MERG version but then, as I say, I'm not into electronics and don't need another hobby.

I doubt there is a more cost effective way into DCC (apart from possibly a SPROG), unfortunately the Command Station kit is currently out of stock so you will all have to contain yourselves for a while.

I must have had the last one then. No doubt it will be a challenging build given the SMD design but the low price and more importantly the support from MERG, the open architecture and the large range of compatible MERG devices makes it a compelling buy. 

• Like 1

Actually, the Command Station (CANCMD) uses through-hole construction.

It is the CANCAB that uses SMD construction.

However, another member is working on a through-hole version of the CANCAB in a slightly bigger hand-held box, so that may well become another option in the future.

• Like 1

Sadly, treading in his footsteps does not only require the purchase of BRM, but also membership of MERG before purchasing the kit :rolleyes:  Could be cheaper to purchase a Roco z21 (white box) or Multi-Maus from a starter kit :P

For those so inclined, there are several alternatives available online, including, but not limited to, projects based on the Arduino platform, redundant PC's based on the x86/x86_64 Intel platforms (which includes those with AMD processors!) as well as, for completeness, the (non-DCC) Edits system by electronics magazine Elector. Having said that, the Edits system is 30 yrs old and based on the original Motorola protocol used by Märklin for their AC models and has long since been superseded by DCC. But it's based on discrete chips that can still be bought.

If you prefer to buy one, then you are 100% correct to do so.

This is a kit alternative to a RTR controller. Many of us have built wagon kits of made buildings from scratch & have taken pleasure in the knowledge that we have built it ourself. I don't see how this is any different.

I've read the article a couple of times, and see that the price quoted was "less than £65 for the base unit and handset". Does this includes postage, and how much is membership of MERG? Ok, so you'd get a year's with of MERG material / member access to information, but for non members it would push the price up a bit?

I'm running my test track with a Sprog 3 at the moment. Other than the cost of the Sprog and PSU the only other cost required was that of a laptop, which I already had lying around..... :prankster:

Hello.

I think membership of MERG is a small price to pay when you get access to one of the most comprehensive compatible and economic systems available anywhere that can be built over a period of time. I am unaware of any commercial offerings that are as comprehensive  variable or capable. Being a member I may be biased but the truth is I looked at the commercial options prior to joining and decided I could not get a better DCC setup.Why reinvent the wheel?

trustytrev.:)

Hi,

I went down the MERG route about 5 years ago and I don't regret it.   I use their DCC and CBUS equipment on Neely.   The CAB uses surface mounted components but apart from that the other kits use through-hole type PCBs.  The instructions accompanying the kits are very comprehensive and the help readily available on the website.   If you get really stuck someone will no doubt offer to sort it for you.

Providing you can solder moderately well then their kits are the solderer's equivalent of painting by numbers!

You can get a quality DCC controller, booster (you might not need this for a small layout) and a command station for less than £100.00.

Importantly, in these uncertain times, MERG is based in Britain so you don't have to worry about exchange rates or customs duty - the postage is charged at cost.

I haven't used the SPROG but I understand that this is also a good buy.

• Like 1

Actually, the Command Station (CANCMD) uses through-hole construction.

It is the CANCAB that uses SMD construction.

However, another member is working on a through-hole version of the CANCAB in a slightly bigger hand-held box, so that may well become another option in the future.

Do you have any more information on this as the surface mount components are the only thing that is putting me off this project. I am happy with through hole soldering having built a number of audio projects but have never worked with SMD components.

Do you have any more information on this as the surface mount components are the only thing that is putting me off this project. I am happy with through hole soldering having built a number of audio projects but have never worked with SMD components.

As surface mount goes, the handset is a well thought out and simple design.   If you are organised, have a decent soldering iron, and a reasonably steady hand, then its nothing special. 

What is essential is a tidy work area, good lighting, a means to hold components in place (plastic tweezers, cocktail sticks, etc.), and somewhere to rest ones arm whilst holding the iron (fore-arm supported usually give a much steadier hand for fine work).

The manual for the handset kit is very thorough, with guides on how to learn surface mount techniques referenced out, dozens of clear pictures, etc..

There is ONE big issue which potential users of the MERG CBUS system should be aware of:  currently, there is no support for DCC Accessory devices.  The expectation of the system is that you have DCC Loco decoders, and everything else should use MERG CBUS-connected devices for signalling, turnouts, train detection, etc..     Consequently, those existing Hornby/Lenz/Cobalt/whoever turnout accessory devices don't function with the MERG system.    There is discussion within MERG forums of a software upgrade to fix this (the upgrade, when ready, can be applied to existing kits).  Various dates have been suggested (including a few only a couple of months away), but the issue has existed for many years and hasn't yet been resolved.    There are work-arounds, but many of them involve a second DCC system for the accessories and a computer to link the two setups together. 

With that one major issue acknowledged, the MERG system is good, and if willing to spend the time assembling, a very good price.  The command station PCB benefits from installation in a quality box - there are examples around MERG forums of some superbly finished boxes, but they do add a few tens of pounds to the cost.    The handset is one of the nicest available regardless of commercial or home-assembled - my personal view is that its second or third on my list of current handset designs.  

- Nigel

I've posted this link in some of the other threads, but a good, easy and cheap to build DCC system is the one designed by Paco:

http://usuaris.tinet.cat/fmco/lokmaus_en.html

It runs on the xpressnet/ROCO protocol so you can use standard accessories like Lenz products.  It is simple to build.  You can build the command station for the cost of the MERG membership.

There are throttles, computer interfaces (compatible with Rocrail, JMRI) and boosters.

It's starting to show it's age, and is on par with the first generation zephyr.

This is why MERG also produce a couple of SMD trial kits where you can practice assembly techniques on a low cost collection of components and a PCB before committing to putting anything more comprehensive together. You even get a potentially useful end product.

Kit 436 is a 2/3/4 aspect colour light signal controller, and Kit 461 is a multichannel Gas Lamp Twinkler.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only ever had a MERG system (big)but it helps living in the same small town as one of the founder members. As I regularly operate his US layout and do a occassionl weathering projects for him we trade skills. I dare say I could build their kits myself but I would seriously need to push my technical skills, soldering etc. My choice for an of the shelf system would be ESU as this is my sound decoder of choice, but the cost!!!!!! My entire system cost less than a Lokprogrammer.

I've only ever had a MERG system (big)but it helps living in the same small town as one of the founder members.

Slight clarification required here...

MB cannot realistically be considered a founder member, having joined only (?) about 20 years ago (of the 49 years the group has existed). I can only claim a 30 year stretch myself.

Sadly the number of members still with us who could reasonably claim Founder status can be counted on the fingers of one hand these days.

I've just bought a Raspberry Pi3 and an Arduino uno + motor shield, loaded up JMRI and DCC++. No kitbuilding required and it was cheap as chips. And I suspect far more capable...

How about an article on how you did it? I assume it is NMRA compliant too?

The advantages of the MERG system is the community support & its ergonomics.

How about an article on how you did it? I assume it is NMRA compliant too?

The advantages of the MERG system is the community support & its ergonomics.

http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=gca1-pi01-en&DokuWiki=18ae3785370f447bb70f18e45a5d9f9c

This is one method to use the RPI.  This one uses custom built add-ons that extends the RPI.

You can also use the RPI as a computer (headless or with a monitor) to run JMRI or Rocrail - then use a sprog or other booster to make the connections.  A RPI 3 is pretty powerful - enough to run windows if you want.

Edited by gcodori

http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=gca1-pi01-en&DokuWiki=18ae3785370f447bb70f18e45a5d9f9c

This is one method to use the RPI.  This one uses custom built add-ons that extends the RPI.

You can also use the RPI as a computer (headless or with a monitor) to run JMRI or Rocrail - then use a sprog or other booster to make the connections.  A RPI 3 is pretty powerful - enough to run windows if you want.

Interesting, given me food for thought.. I have been thinking about a RPi3

There is also now the Pi-SPROG that connects direct to the Pi GPIO.

Andrew Crosland

http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/

• RMweb Premium

As surface mount goes, the handset is a well thought out and simple design.   If you are organised, have a decent soldering iron, and a reasonably steady hand, then its nothing special. 

What is essential is a tidy work area, good lighting, a means to hold components in place (plastic tweezers, cocktail sticks, etc.), and somewhere to rest ones arm whilst holding the iron (fore-arm supported usually give a much steadier hand for fine work).

The manual for the handset kit is very thorough, with guides on how to learn surface mount techniques referenced out, dozens of clear pictures, etc..

The handset is one of the nicest available regardless of commercial or home-assembled - my personal view is that its second or third on my list of current handset designs.  

- Nigel

totally agree I have always used JMRI  with a sprog a dabble with DCC++ and finally assembled the merg command station  ( after a horrible first experience with a Bachmann controller   :banghead: )   all work very well however curiosity led me to build the handset, not easy but do-able by anyone who can read the instructions  and solder.   A real quality kit  which  on first playing   testing has almost converted me from JMRI to a  physical controller although JMRI on a Android is pretty good.  

Line No20 is due to  be making a public debut early next year  and I think a physical controller will be easier for the  second operator whose own layouts are   DC  ( although he is coming round to magic boxes and hopefully no  magic smoke)

Now to case all the bits up 

post-1480-0-46828300-1479483213_thumb.jpg

Nick

• Like 1