Hornby Announce Mk1 FO and BSO

MGR Hooper!

Build details. The Hornby ones are Diagram 73:

35738299986_ac70e7dd82_c.jpgFO-73-Diagram-book-index by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

The trial Commonwealth batch are not marked as such but as noted above there were five: E3076-3080. I thought I had seen a photo of one in crimson and cream but have been unable to locate it.

Edited by robertcwp

Pity they have the no smoking section at the wrong end too. It should be the first 2 windows at the other end. There was an internal partition between the 2nd and 3rd bays. There was no partition in the 4-window end!

As shown here.

38441868736_5f18b79313_c.jpgBR073m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Later, the smoking sections changed. The third bay in the smaller saloon is non-smoking in this one:

15531200921_fc30aed305_c.jpgM3116_Newport_30-1-82 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Also this one, showing first class markings on the windows and the two nearest bays having non-smoking markings:

5710804877_a467f5e402_b.jpgE3049_FortWilliam by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Diagram in later life showing altered non-smoking accommodation:

38502130971_66cda69e79_b.jpgBR073-later_m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edited by robertcwp

• RMweb Gold

Surprised there’s been no comment on the maroon one yet, so here goes...post-20773-0-01709600-1511299487_thumb.jpgpost-20773-0-06124800-1511299525_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-42349800-1511299588_thumb.jpeg

Lighting kit is extracted from a Hornby mk2 bso and refitted into this.

The fittings are identical in both coaches (light frame, bogie plate and pickups) and the mk1 BSO, FO and TSO are all designed to have it fitted, no soldering or even glue required, though the later Commonwealth bogie (used on the blue/greys) has not been designed to include the lighting kit.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Surprised there’s been no comment on the maroon one yet, so here goes... image.jpg B75E7FDE-3F48-4A08-A077-042E14EDD03B.jpeg D446A8CD-FDF5-490D-A3A2-E3AB7A5051E1.jpeg

Lighting kit is extracted from a Hornby mk2 bso and refitted into this.

The fittings are identical in both coaches (light frame, bogie plate and pickups) and the mk1 BSO, FO and TSO are all designed to have it fitted, no soldering or even glue required, though the later Commonwealth bogie (used on the blue/greys) has not been designed to include the lighting kit.

Does the maroon match previous Hornby mk1s? And similar to Bachmann?

• RMweb Gold

Does the maroon match previous Hornby mk1s? And similar to Bachmann?

Next to the previous SK / BSK / CK / TSO in maroon yes, I’ll be putting the rake together tomorrow, but it was a match earlier when I checked, Bachmann i’ll compare tomorrow, though I have mixed my Bachmann and Hornbys together previous and they seem to match, but have slightly different profiles.

I’ll put a mix rake of Replica, Bachmann and Hornby tomorrow and compare results.

The Replica FO and Hornby FO are very very closely matching, indeed Replica may have the edge on it but Replica excels in details like destination board brackets, lamp brackets, the Replica FO has raised window frames, which Hornby doesn’t etc... as for length both are pretty much identical.

post-20773-0-88585500-1511301151_thumb.jpeg

post-20773-0-33247900-1511301163_thumb.jpeg

Edited by adb968008

Next to the previous SK / BSK / CK / TSO in maroon yes, I’ll be putting the rake together tomorrow, but it was a match earlier when I checked, Bachmann i’ll compare tomorrow, though I have mixed my Bachmann and Hornbys together previous and they seem to match, but have slightly different profiles.

I’ll put a mix rake of Replica, Bachmann and Hornby tomorrow and compare results.

The Replica FO and Hornby FO are very very closely matching, indeed Replica May have the edge on it, in all but flush glazing.

Thank you

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Railway Observer October 1961 page 326 reported BSO W9276 had been repainted into chocolate and cream.

I cannot at present locate a photo that shows it in that livery.

However, by chance, I discovered a black and white photo of the up Cathedrals Express arriving at Paddington on 1 October 1962 in the February 2010 edition of British Railways Illustrated. This shows BSO W9272 at the front. The number is clearly readable. The problem is that the image does not show enough of the carriage to see if it has the coaching stock emblem on it. If it does, this would confirm it is chocolate and cream. In a b&w photo there is a chance it could be crimson and cream although colour photos from around the same time show a chocolate and cream BSO in the train.
Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

did the FO come out in Inter City guise?  sure the real thing was but formed part of the Inter City Charter rakes with white roofs and wheel rims etc......I know Replica did some of these and they looked superb.

But needs the BCK and Restaurant cars to make a matching rake.. not to mention colour matching.

does anyone know if these 2 types of coaches are coming out in SR green? They brought out 4 mark 1 types a few years back in green and thats been it...

I'm happy to be corrected but I don't think the BSO, was deployed to the Southern. The FO was.

• RMweb Gold

does anyone know if these 2 types of  coaches are coming out in SR green? They brought out 4 mark 1 types a few years back in green and thats been it...

you can pick up a Replica FO easy enough. With new bogies / wheels / modern couplings and flush glazing it will out stand next to the Hornby ones, and for less the price, it also has a better profile and colour match to Bachmann stock (Bulleids / MK1s etc).

If I recall this version of the open first, with centre doors, is correct for inclusion into the "Caledonian", operated from 1957 to 1962. To complete mine I just need the Bachmann porthole BFK in maroon and a 50' kitchen car...Any views on how the maroon one compares to Bachmann maroon Mk 1s?

JF

The maroon is close slightly matter than Bachmann and lining finer. They're passable in a rake

• RMweb Gold

did the FO come out in Inter City guise? sure the real thing was but formed part of the Inter City Charter rakes with white roofs and wheel rims etc......I know Replica did some of these and they looked superb.

I’ve been quietly building a set of these, thanks to a user on here, I’ve now got a full rake of 8.

Here’s the as factory producedpost-20773-0-40209100-1524828204_thumb.jpeg

With an hours work I turned it into this one with B4 bogies

post-20773-0-98895900-1524828247_thumb.jpeg

And here’s it posed with commonwealths..post-20773-0-82007900-1524828278_thumb.jpeg

Minimal time and only needs some transfers and a lining pen in Blue, Red, Yellow and White (about £1.50 each on ebay). I made a slight mark on the existing glazing to mark each side of each window, then removed the glazing and drew with the red pen to make a curtain shape, some tied back, some loose, some less or more open than others. With retrospect the next ones I do will be the inside glazing side.

I noticed some curtains were off-white/ light grey so I may do some like this too. Also some windows had “1” in a blue square, rather than a totem shaped “first”.

I’ll probably buy some FO flush glazing from Replica and see how it looks then.

post-20773-0-03494800-1524828640_thumb.jpeg

Metal wheels are Hornby, I placed them in the bogie, secured it with my little finger, held the pen with my thumb and 1st finger, then spun the wheel round with the pen on the wheel rim.

For numbers i’ll Be going back to my 1991 Platform 5 and selecting some.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

you can pick up a Replica FO easy enough. With new bogies / wheels / modern couplings and flush glazing it will out stand next to the Hornby ones, and for less the price, it also has a better profile and colour match to Bachmann stock (Bulleids / MK1s etc).

Are the Replica coaches similar in profile to the Bachmann ones? The early Mainline ones had a 'shallow' bodyside with mold pips too if I recall. I would like the Replica green to be a match for the last Hornby batch, which I prefer to Bachmann's SR mk1 green-both light and dark shades used by them.

• RMweb Gold

Are the Replica coaches similar in profile to the Bachmann ones? The early Mainline ones had a 'shallow' bodyside with mold pips too if I recall. I would like the Replica green to be a match for the last Hornby batch, which I prefer to Bachmann's SR mk1 green-both light and dark shades used by them.

The replica ones follow same profile as Bachmann / Mainline. These ones didn’t have flush glazing but later Replica ones do (with top lights). I understand Replica still has the tooling on this and may some day re-run them. But meanwhile the spares are on their website... I intend to try one with the flush glazing it’s £2 odd a pack.