Hornby Announce Mk1 FO and BSO

MGR Hooper!

If these are being painted into blue and grey should they not have lost the steps at the end? Of course this is a pre-production photo and they might well be removed on that livery.

Also the windows do seem to suffer the prismatic affect, though again it is a pre-production sample and may look different on release.

Either way, I think Hornby's approach to communicating with people via that page is pretty good. Well done Hornby.

• RMweb Gold

If these are being painted into blue and grey should they not have lost the steps at the end? Of course this is a pre-production photo and they might well be removed on that livery.

Also the windows do seem to suffer the prismatic affect, though again it is a pre-production sample and may look different on release.

Either way, I think Hornby's approach to communicating with people via that page is pretty good. Well done Hornby.

Also something Bachmann fail to acknowledge - so out with the craft knife!

Phil

I am sure Hornby will follow their usual ethos and ensure the models are correct for the steam era, us diesel modellers will just have to lump it!

Some trains including BSOs.

Two blue/grey BSOs together in this one:

22571285212_e00692ac82_z.jpg1964_1V86_Reddings-between-Cheltenham-Gloucester_3-69 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

2269204602_c86efa92c1_z.jpg?zz=160006_KX by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

5731117733_004b963e14_z.jpg60018_HadleyWood_1959 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

9267947421_b147d7e221_z.jpg60022_Brookmans_Park_1961 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

18956864344_09c30a9bbd_z.jpgA4_HighDyke_9-8-58 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

12861994403_3b8dd7bba9_z.jpg60103_OakleighPark_Leeds-KX_8-62 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

8056414782_82ee5f812b_z.jpg60065_LittleBytham_14-5-60 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

8056414706_cf5210b0f2_z.jpg60059_LittleBytham_14-5-60 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

5731710288_b63c674f96_z.jpg60158_HadleyWood_1959 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

5052171262_6dfe256856_z.jpg60157_Talisman by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

21993948583_5d94c62273_z.jpg60892_Barkston by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

5565478400_0fe5ee1ae4_z.jpg7021_Cathedrals_1961 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I am sure Hornby will follow their usual ethos and ensure the models are correct for the steam era, us diesel modellers will just have to lump it!

Looking forward to these but agree it is a right pain for us diesel modellers when we have to cut off the end steps and find a maroon paint that matches the body sides when we repaint the ends to maroon.

Clive, a diesel modeller of the green period.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Reading the announcement, it appears that these might not be the only new MK1s being introduced for next year's range (though the others could "just" be new livery variants), just presumably the ones that are most advanced in the production pipeline.

A BIG would be nice ;)

Griff

Edit

Predictive text... A BIG would indeed be great (and a CIG too) but I typed BFK :)

Edited by griffgriff

• RMweb Gold

That's a big presumption. Never mind waiting to see. Guilty without any evidence. What is wrong with people. Hornby announced a new model and this thread already has at least three people moaning.

From the Diagram book index - Hornby are doing the Diagram 73 FO

Useful tables Robert. Do you know why there is such a variation (over 4T) in Weights between batches?

Bachmann have done an RFO which aside from the style of seats was the same as the earlier FO with no side door.

The other one missing is a standard 2+1 SO. Everyone does the TSO. I'd have thought one of them could do an alternative interior. Plus an RKB, and that will be my Thames clyde sorted. I don't want that RTR though as I'm halfway through a Bachmann/Comet bash!

• RMweb Premium

Useful tables Robert. Do you know why there is such a variation (over 4T) in Weights between batches?

Bachmann have done an RFO which aside from the style of seats was the same as the earlier FO with no side door.

The other one missing is a standard 2+1 SO. Everyone does the TSO. I'd have thought one of them could do an alternative interior. Plus an RKB, and that will be my Thames clyde sorted. I don't want that RTR though as I'm halfway through a Bachmann/Comet bash!

Bogies.....Commonwealth ones are very heavy compared to B4s.

• RMweb Gold

Very pleased with this announcement. At last two important Mk1's that have been long asked for. Plenty of sales to come Hornby's way here. Well done Hornby, you seem to have been listening. I wonder what has happened to Bachmann?

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

We just take the steps off the tail end vehicles....

Cracking set of photos Robert - looking at those you might think BSOs are an ECML special but IIRC that one in the Cathedrals is there as additional catering accommodation next to that restaurant - and cracking shot of 1964 between Chelt and Glos too.....

Phil

Hornby do the 2+1 SO - it's the only Hornby Mark 1 that I have in my fleet.

We just take the steps off the tail end vehicles....

Cracking set of photos Robert - looking at those you might think BSOs are an ECML special but IIRC that one in the Cathedrals is there as additional catering accommodation next to that restaurant - and cracking shot of 1964 between Chelt and Glos too.....

Phil

The East Coast bias was partly because I went through the album where I was most likely to find BSO images.

• Like 1

Clive, forgive me if I am wrong on this, but the originals weren't always removed in a very tidy manner- certainly leaving a pristine finish afterwards was not their primary aim. Is it not an option to replicate the rather rough looking removal?

Looking forward to these but agree it is a right pain for us diesel modellers when we have to cut off the end steps and find a maroon paint that matches the the body sides when we repaint the ends to maroon.

Clive, a diesel modeller of the green period.

• Like 1

... that one in the Cathedrals is there as additional catering accommodation next to that restaurant ..

You RC.  It is W9276 which is preserved at the Great Central.

Chris

EDIT - most of the BSOs allocated to the WR were formed into excursion sets which were sometimes used for reliefs

Edited by chrisf

Here's my BSO W9276, complete with white dining table cloths, cobbled up from parts of a Bachmann BSK and a TSO, a friend advises me that I should have moved the battery boxes to a new position. As far as I know, this was the only Mk1 BSO in Chocolate and Cream, in BR days. It was provided as additional dining space, next to a RB, on the Cathedrals Express service, replacing a compartment brake, without the need to add an extra dining car, which would have compromised the train's overall weight, on a tightly timed service. It didn't last very long in these colours, could Hornby justify this as a later livery release, as it was a very short term one-off?

Cheers, Brian.

post-298-0-75407300-1477083113_thumb.jpg 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Clive, forgive me if I am wrong on this, but the originals weren't always removed in a very tidy manner- certainly leaving a pristine finish afterwards was not their primary aim. Is it not an option to replicate the rather rough looking removal?

Hi Derek

Early in the mid sixties BR works were painting the ends of maroon coaches, maroon not black when the coach came in for a repaint. Most models of maroon liveried Mk1 coaches have black ends so for my chosen period most should be maroon and many would have had the ends steps removed so they could go under the 25KvA wires.

Maroon ends and no steps are also applicable to trains on layouts with steam locomotives as well.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

<SARCASM MODE ON - just in case anyone misses it>

Not sure I can buy one of these, as I think there's a rivet missing from the lower left corner of the carriage end under the second step,  also the steps look to me to be about a millionth of an inch too thick so they're totally wrong :jester:  :O  :jester:

<SARCASM MODE OFF>

They didnt run on the Southern Pacific either so thats me out .

That's a big presumption. Never mind waiting to see. Guilty without any evidence. What is wrong with people. Hornby announced a new model and this thread already has at least three people moaning.

Show me some other Hornby Blue/Grey mark 1 which dont have the end steps, but where they are present on the 'steam' liveried versions of the same coaches?

I am pretty sure I will be proved right, it wont stop me buying a few though!