Hornby Announce Mk1 FO and BSO

MGR Hooper!

Different diagrams. The Bachmann version very few were made, its based on the RFO version. The Hornby version is based on a prototype of hundreds.

Thanks! Having scrolled back through the thread after you mentioned it I was able to find reference to the different diagrams.

are they out yet and what sort of a match are they alongside the Bachmann Mk1s in blue and grey???

If they go with the same colour spec as the Mk1 BG and Mk2s the blue will be a tad darker and the Rail Grey will be slightly more creamy than the Bachmann colours. Unless they change the spec of course.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hopefully the BSO will make an appearance in the Railroad Range as well at some point (not to bothered about livery mind) as the £40 mark is just above my personal limit at the moment for a coach. 

Hopefully the BSO will make an appearance in the Railroad Range as well at some point (not to bothered about livery mind) as the £40 mark is just above my personal limit at the moment for a coach.

It's a physiological barrier for many. Though a discount wil kick in at many retailers.

• RMweb Gold

There’s a couple of things that so far have put me off these..

1. Lights.. they really made Hornby’s mk1’s more interesting, no lights not as interesting.

2. Bachmann mk1’s are more detailed, and more established, I have at least 60.

3. Livery matching blue/grey was fairly standard, maroon was pretty good too..l but a mix of blue shades between Hornby and Bachmann puts me off

4. Shape, Hornby’s is a different shape to Bachmanns, not only would liveries not match but height/width profiles are different, whilst some say livery differences were common, the shape of a Mk1 was not.

5. The only way it worked for me was to buy a whole rake, but there’s no buffet... which means skipping in an odd shaped noncolour matching Bachmann or Replica one.. no lights either.

Against that lot, when the Hornby one was cheaper, then I started actively selling a green Bachmann rake, and one maroon rake, and bought a Hornby rake to suit.. as overall these coaches are nice.

However without lights, a buffet and a higher price than Bachmanns, rake doesn’t make sense, and a BSO / FO on their own isn’t a proposition, so instead of me buying 14 coaches (b/g and maroon rakes), instead I’ve still not decided whether to stick or twist on all of them.

• RMweb Premium

1. Lights.. they really made Hornby’s mk1’s more interesting, no lights not as interesting.

3. Livery matching blue/grey was fairly standard, maroon was pretty good too..l but a mix of blue shades between Hornby and Bachmann puts me off

4. Shape, Hornby’s is a different shape to Bachmanns, not only would liveries not match but height/width profiles are different, whilst some say livery differences were common, the shape of a Mk1 was not.

5. The only way it worked for me was to buy a whole rake, but there’s no buffet... which means skipping in an odd shaped noncolour matching Bachmann or Replica one.. no lights either.

Against that lot, when the Hornby one was cheaper, then I started actively selling a green Bachmann rake, and one maroon rake, and bought a Hornby rake to suit.. as overall these coaches are nice.

However without lights, a buffet and a higher price than Bachmanns, rake doesn’t make sense, and a BSO / FO on their own isn’t a proposition, so instead of me buying 14 coaches (b/g and maroon rakes), instead I’ve still not decided whether to stick or twist on all of them.

Is this a roundabout way of suggesting Hornby announce an RB (so avoiding duplication with Bachmann's RMB and RU))? If so, I'm with you on that.

• RMweb Gold

Is this a roundabout way of suggesting Hornby announce an RB (so avoiding duplication with Bachmann's RMB and RU))? If so, I'm with you on that.

Not just that, my Colletts/Hawksworth/Maunsell/Stainers passengers are all starving hungry.

When they said cut backs at Hornby I didn’t think they mean go on a diet !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But every photo of the BSO still shows it has compartments!!!!

https://beta.railsofsheffield.com/br-mk1-coach-brake-second-open-w9353-blue-grey-livery-2017-range--JJJA32301

Please ...not!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

But every photo of the BSO still shows it has compartments!!!!

https://beta.railsofsheffield.com/br-mk1-coach-brake-second-open-w9353-blue-grey-livery-2017-range--JJJA32301

Please ...not!

Phil

Don't worry Phil :-) Hornby's Engine Shed announcement page from last year https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/10730/ includes a CAD drawing which shows a central corridor if you look carefully, so I wouldn't be concerned. Edited by brushman47544

Don't worry Phil :-) Hornby's Engine Shed announcement page from last year https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/10730/ includes a CAD drawing which shows a central corridor if you look carefully, so I wouldn't be concerned.

Looking at the link above, it appears the window surrounds are missing on these new MK 1's, going by the photos of the first running examples ?  let's hope not..............

Could really use a new Mk.1 RB, Kitchen Car and BFK now too. BFK would be great for Motorail services now carflats are available. . .

BFKs were not very common, only 28 of them. Kitchen Cars were also not very common. However, there were 128 production RBs, which carried lots of liveries and appeared just about everywhere. It's about time we had something to supersede the old Mainline one, good though it was for its day.

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry Phil :-) Hornby's Engine Shed announcement page from last year https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/10730/ includes a CAD drawing which shows a central corridor if you look carefully, so I wouldn't be concerned.

Phew - missed that!

Thanks Andrew

Phil

BFKs were not very common, only 28 of them. Kitchen Cars were also not very common. However, there were 128 production RBs, which carried lots of liveries and appeared just about everywhere. It's about time we had something to supersede the old Mainline one, good though it was for its day.

Agreed they aren't common. But they could be considered interesting as vehicles.

I wouldn't be so hung up by the lack of a buffet as certainly by the late 70s, most Mk1 rakes were used on non-buffet services (with Mk1 buffets ironically being utilised in Mk2 and Mk3 sets)

• RMweb Gold

A quick photo of the FO, that I’ve just PMed Phil Bullock, as I said to him, no close coupling mechanism, feels a bit lightweight.

I’m sure with a bit of attention they will scrub up (or down if weathering) well.post-6925-0-12958500-1508270395_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Downendian