New batch of Heljan 4mm Hymeks

Downendian

• RMweb Gold

I've just noticed on eBay Rails of Sheffield are advertising a new batch of Heljan 4mm Hymeks

D7011 in blue full yellow ends

D7012 in green no yellow panel

D7054 in green yellow panel

D7076 green full yellow end

This was news to me, and it seems the lure of these old diesels still continues. I'm looking out for a new batch of spares when they arrive.

They are super models save the lack of the dominant scavenger fan, incorrect headboard clips on the earlier machines and needing replacement head codes.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

I've just noticed on eBay Rails of Sheffield are advertising a new batch of Heljan 4mm Hymeks

D7011 in blue full yellow ends

D7012 in green no yellow panel

D7054 in green yellow panel

D7076 green full yellow end

This was news to me, and it seems the lure of these old diesels still continues. I'm looking out for a new batch of spares when they arrive.

They are super models save the lack of the dominant scavenger fan, incorrect headboard clips on the earlier machines and needing replacement head codes.

Neil

And when new in 1961 they were first allocated to 82A....the then newly constructed Bath Road depot.By the following summer they were pressed hurriedly into service hauling Paddington -South Wales expresses.13+ Mark1's was a tall order for 1700 hp but they coped...just.Their sound was unique and remains in my ears to this day.

Guest Midland Mole

Mmmm got my eye on the one with no yellow ends.....wrong region for me, but I've always had a soft spot for the Hymek.....and the Bachmann weathered 9F has just come out.....

giphy.gif

- Alex

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

D7076 in green full yellow ends. From my records it never carried this livery in service, so a preserved only livery.

This week I picked up an earlier release, D7097 from eBay for a bargain £45. It will be rewheeled and renumbered to D7094. The new release has red buffer beams, the earlier release had black, prototypically correct for D7094.

Still no spares advertised on the Howes website Ivan, I know I'm not the only one after them.

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

D7076 in green full yellow ends. From my records it never carried this livery in service, so a preserved only livery.

This week I picked up an earlier release, D7097 from eBay for a bargain £45. It will be rewheeled and renumbered to D7094. The new release has red buffer beams, the earlier release had black, prototypically correct for D7094.

Still no spares advertised on the Howes website Ivan, I know I'm not the only one after them.

Neil

Hi Neil

I am tempted to buy a secondhand one but recall that the earlier releases had a different type of wheel that was more prone to collecting dirt (hence I presume why you are rewheeling yours), do you know which models used the earlier wheels please?

Ta

Hi Neil

I am tempted to buy a secondhand one but recall that the earlier releases had a different type of wheel that was more prone to collecting dirt (hence I presume why you are rewheeling yours), do you know which models used the earlier wheels please?

Ta

3500 D7017 G

3501 D7039 GSYP

3502 D7036 BSYP

3503 D7042 BLYE

3504 D7097 GLYE

3505 D7009 G

3506 D7044 GSYP

3507 D7040 BSYP

3508 D7035 BLYE

All of the above were originally fitted with the bronze wheels. All models 3509 and above have nickel silver wheels and replacement nickel silver wheels can be purchased as spares from Howes.

3500 D7017 G

3501 D7039 GSYP

3502 D7036 BSYP

3503 D7042 BLYE

3504 D7097 GLYE

3505 D7009 G

3506 D7044 GSYP

3507 D7040 BSYP

3508 D7035 BLYE

All of the above were originally fitted with the bronze wheels. All models 3509 and above have nickel silver wheels and replacement nickel silver wheels can be purchased as spares from Howes.

Thank you very much sir, great to know.

Will have to delve to check my Hymek fleet Rob, in the model room later will take a look.

What livery are you after?

Neil

Blue full yellow ends Neil, Number is irrelevant as will be renumbered to one of the last few to come anywhere near my time period.

• RMweb Gold

So the last in service I saw Rob, 1974 all roving the Bristol area.

D7011, D7017, D7018, D7022, D7026, D7028, D7029, D7076 and D7093

The Heljan model has headboard clips so that means D7076 and D7093 if you don't want to remove them. I would say D7093, a favourite for me, and saw it a lot in late 1974.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

D7076 (& D7096) arguably outlived the rest, as they were "used" at the old Dalby test track, for several years (only pictures I see of them being "used" were as rusting hulks in a siding), but none the less survived until D7076 was preserved in 1982/3 and D7096 was scrapped in 1986.

So the last in service I saw Rob, 1974 all roving the Bristol area.

D7011, D7017, D7018, D7022, D7026, D7028, D7029, D7076 and D7093

The Heljan model has headboard clips so that means D7076 and D7093 if you don't want to remove them. I would say D7093, a favourite for me, and saw it a lot in late 1974.

Neil

Thanks Neil, will probably go for D7076 as have had it for haulage and saves chopping the headboard clips off.

Thanks Neil, will probably go for D7076 as have had it for haulage and saves chopping the headboard clips off.

Actually scrub that, having done a bit more research think I will go for 7017 as it lasted until 1975 and it appears to have had transfers rather than the raised lettering at the end so saves me a bit of cash, just need to remove the headboard clips and touch up or repaint the yellow.

• RMweb Gold

Heljan did 7017 in that guise, I have one. It's cat no Heljan 3511-HX and you can see pics of the model that was for sale at Hattons.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/76224/Heljan_3511_HX_Class_35_Hymek_7017_white_numbers_in_BR_blue_with_full_yellow_ends_Pre_owned_D/StockDetail.aspx

By 1975 she had lost her alloy numbers and were replaced with conventional vinyl numbers, one end only. By late 1975 she was stored at Taunton for move to the WSR, I have a photo somewhere of it there. I last saw her en route to Avonmouth in December 1974, the last time I ever saw a Hymek in BR service.

Neil

Heljan did 7017 in that guise, I have one. It's cat no Heljan 3511-HX and you can see pics of the model that was for sale at Hattons.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/76224/Heljan_3511_HX_Class_35_Hymek_7017_white_numbers_in_BR_blue_with_full_yellow_ends_Pre_owned_D/StockDetail.aspx

By 1975 she had lost her alloy numbers and were replaced with conventional vinyl numbers, one end only. By late 1975 she was stored at Taunton for move to the WSR, I have a photo somewhere of it there. I last saw her en route to Avonmouth in December 1974, the last time I ever saw a Hymek in BR service.

Neil

Thanks Neil, I hadn't noticed this model before so will keep a look out for if one comes up. You mention it only had vinyls at one end, but the pics on the Hattons website show them at both end so presume the model is incorrect

• RMweb Gold

Rob, There's one here of her shunting in service at Taunton, with the numerals at one end (no 1) only. I vaguely recall the two sides may have been different, will need to rummage through the galleries.

http://www.tauntontrains.co.uk/HYMEK.htm

Edit : I think the numbering on the model is prototypically correct.

Neil

Rob, There's one here of her shunting in service at Taunton, with the numerals at one end (no 1) only. I vaguely recall the two sides may have been different, will need to rummage through the galleries.

http://www.tauntontrains.co.uk/HYMEK.htm

Edit : I think the numbering on the model is prototypically correct.

Neil

Thanks Neil, just need to get my hands on one now!

Archived