MRJ 251

NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Not having to wade through pages and pages of turgid postings trying to find a solitary nugget of original new content is hardly detrimental in my opinion.

I congratulate you, Sir, on your apparent ability to get through the day without a regular fix of sausage references, a check on the status of WH Smiths in Ealing or Haverfordwest and various other references to ribaldry.

Unfortunately for some of the rest of us, I fear that we may never attain such a desirable status, so we'll just have to keep on taking the tablets!

I congratulate you, Sir, on your apparent ability to get through the day without a regular fix of sausage references, a check on the status of WH Smiths in Ealing or Haverfordwest and various other references to ribaldry.

Unfortunately for some of the rest of us, I fear that we may never attain such a desirable status, so we'll just have to keep on taking the tablets!

There's nothing like a bit of Railway Ribaldry!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZEvDCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT9&lpg=PT9&dq=railway+ribaldry&source=bl&ots=NzhM5SQCoQ&sig=qfkzeQTAmWTun2HTWnHJKDuTX_4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS76vr7Y7QAhUdOsAKHe0iDoA4ChDoAQg4MAQ#v=onepage&q=railway%20ribaldry&f=false

Given the age of this particular Journal, it probably counts as a primary source.

And as far as I'm concerned, the tablets never worked.....  :jester:

Sossigessssss.....

There's nothing like a bit of Railway Ribaldry!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZEvDCwAAQBAJ&pg=PT9&lpg=PT9&dq=railway+ribaldry&source=bl&ots=NzhM5SQCoQ&sig=qfkzeQTAmWTun2HTWnHJKDuTX_4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS76vr7Y7QAhUdOsAKHe0iDoA4ChDoAQg4MAQ#v=onepage&q=railway%20ribaldry&f=false

Given the age of this particular Journal, it probably counts as a primary source.

And as far as I'm concerned, the tablets never worked.....  :jester:

Sossigessssss.....

MRJ Issue 0 I take it

• 2 weeks later...

For myself, I think the last bit of the title is the most important bit, Journal. So when I open up the MRJ I am expecting a good read about model railways. I find that some other magazines seem to have articles that tell the story in such simple language and so few words that I am left just as uninformed about whatever the writer was trying to convey as I was before I started to read the article. What I like about MRJ is that the story is allowed to be told, so that the content informs and enthuses and doesn't rely solely on numbered captions. (even if it does drag on for the 3 editions.

There is also a problem of defining what finescale actually is. For instance, I think that Bills layout would be a good one for MRJ as it isn't just straight RTR stock and is operated very well. I think that there is a very good story there.

• RMweb Premium

I'd certainly welcome the occasional non-UK piece (I model East German and US railways/railroads as well as British ones), be it a layout feature (Pempoul and Federal Street immediately spring to mind) detailing locos/stock, structures and scenery - always worth looking at how someone else approaches these things.

Or how about operations and running a railway prototypically, such as the P87 freemo chaps or our US friends are into - the sizeable freemo P87 set up at Warley a few years back showed just how a railway should be operated properly, something we rarely do here.

On the US side, guys like Lance Mindheim have shared some very interesting things in recent years - photo-realistic structures, layout-mounted brake hoses/handles/wheels to replicate a shunters actions (and so slow down operations), use of sound as well as the more usual layout design. Some of the US guys also go the whole hog when it comes to operating paperwork - train lists, switch lists, dispatch orders - not that dissimilar for layouts using correct signalling/bell codes

Actually, why not also include the occasional piece from the aircraft or military modelling scenes - a bit of cross-fertilisation might be beneficial to all??

Not sure I'd want a whole issue devoted to such though, just drop an occasional piece in.

Dear Sirs,

I have searched with no success for MRJ 251 at all my usual stockists (I don't buy it there, as l have it on subscription, but it affords me the opportunity to phone and complain re non-arrivals)

I now realise that the projected issue date for MRJ 251 is actually 17th November, i.e. tomorrow.  This presents me with somewhat of a dilemma, do I await its non-arrival (having first checked in Smiffs in town to see if they have a copy) or do l just get a life................... :scratchhead:

BTW Sainsbury's do a superb venison sausage, currently on offer at 8 for £3.00.   

• RMweb Gold

Rewarding to see a significant amount of sausage on this thread.

As an accompaniment I enjoy some creamy buttery mash laced with bacon and cabbage. Topped with a red wine onion gravy things become a lot clearer.

Rob

BTW Sainsbury's do a superb venison sausage, currently on offer at 8 for £3.00.

As MRJ is probably mostly read by people who make things, may I recommend Delia Smith's recipe for Venicon sauasages braised in red wine, from her Winter Collection cookbook. Delicious!

I do think though that a single subject issue is pushing it a bit, whether it be foreign, modern image, whatever.

So would a single subject issue featuring only British outline steam locos also 'be pushing it a bit'?

But then didn't MRJ do a mainly modern traction interest issue a year or so back?

For me it's about balance. Appropriate inclusion of the occasional overseas layout, that meets the MRJ standards and philosophy, are fine. But I'd suggest that the content of each issue should cover a range of subjects to be of interest to a wide range of readers with at least one or two to pique my interest. Bring on some articles about modern EMUs.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Most importantly of all, only two days to go before we can start this thread properly*

I'm very excited.

*By "properly" I mean adding anything that might be vaguely described as amusing, and/or annoying to those who believe anything other than an Incredibly Serious Discussion Of Contents Only is an act of heresy.

• RMweb Gold

Most importantly of all, only two days to go before we can start this thread properly*

I'm very excited.

*By "properly" I mean adding anything that might be vaguely described as amusing, and/or annoying to those who believe anything other than an Incredibly Serious Discussion Of Contents Only is an act of heresy.

Milford Haven.

• RMweb Gold

It will arrive within the next week so I have been informed, I expect the usual staggered delivery.

Are the issues heavier in your neck of the woods then?

Rob.

I'm very excited.

Ha! Sorry to disappoint you but it's not annoying anymore if anything I've come to realise it's sympathy and understanding that is required. By way of a little explanation: 

It's like having a family reunion and the first year your Uncle Charlie stands up to make a speech and in it makes some jokey in family joke that gets a laugh. Next year he's struggling to think of something witty to say but thinks I know what got a laugh last year I'll use this joke again, everyone laughs a bit but thinks hang on a minute we heard this last year.

By the third or fourth year you're all trying to guess at which point in the speech Uncle Charlie is going to make his joke again.

By the fifth and sixth year a few of the regulars are finding it annoying and try to derail Uncle Charlie's speech by shouting out the punchline before Uncle Charlie makes the joke.

Now into the seventh and eighth year and Uncle Charlie makes the same joke yet again and is getting heckled from the back seats now for using the same material.

In the following year a couple of family members have the temerity to not laugh at Uncle Charlie's joke again and are immediately castigated for having no sense of humour.

So now we are into the 9th and 10th year and Uncle Charlie still thinks his joke is funny because it got a laugh in the first year and is going to use it yet again. The rest of the family now know they are going to have to hear the "joke" yet again but humour him because they realise it is obviously the one high point in the year for Uncle Charlie - the only thing keeping him involved from one year to the next is his one chance to stand up and be make his joke. Whilst it would nice if Uncle Charlie could find a new joke it won't surprise anyone in the least when he trots out the same old joke again - So we sympathise and humour him because we now understand that he needs to make the joke to feel part of the family.

So we are now into what must be the 15th anniversary of the MRJ "joke", who's going to be Uncle Charlie? which will no doubt spawn a "Je suis l'oncle Charlie" meme as well!!

• RMweb Gold

post-14192-0-77082300-1479335843.png

Well, it does get like that a bit, but I personally think that the split of threads last month worked for me.

Personally, I don't see copies as often as I'd like over here, so I'm just happy in the knowledge that there will be some in-depth articles to get my teeth into. I'd also be happy to see continental articles in there from time to time to add variety.

• RMweb Gold

Ha! Sorry to disappoint you but it's not annoying anymore if anything I've come to realise it's sympathy and understanding that is required. By way of a little explanation: 

It's like having a family reunion and the first year your Uncle Charlie stands up to make a speech and in it makes some jokey in family joke that gets a laugh. Next year he's struggling to think of something witty to say but thinks I know what got a laugh last year I'll use this joke again, everyone laughs a bit but thinks hang on a minute we heard this last year.

By the third or fourth year you're all trying to guess at which point in the speech Uncle Charlie is going to make his joke again.

By the fifth and sixth year a few of the regulars are finding it annoying and try to derail Uncle Charlie's speech by shouting out the punchline before Uncle Charlie makes the joke.

Now into the seventh and eighth year and Uncle Charlie makes the same joke yet again and is getting heckled from the back seats now for using the same material.

So now we are into the 9th and 10th year and Uncle Charlie still thinks his joke is funny because it got a laugh in the first year and is going to use it yet again. The rest of the family now know they are going to have to hear the "joke" yet again but humour him because they realise it is obviously the one high point in the year for Uncle Charlie - the only thing keeping him involved from one year to the next is his one chance to stand up and be make his joke. Whilst it would nice if Uncle Charlie could find a new joke it won't surprise anyone in the least when he trots out the same old joke again - So we sympathise and humour him because we now understand that he needs to make the joke to feel part of the family.

So we are now into what must be the 15th anniversary of the MRJ "joke", who's going to be Uncle Charlie? which will no doubt spawn a "Je suis l'oncle Charlie" meme as well!!

Brilliant idea, Adrian. I see what you've done there. Taking things forward then..........

Arc de Triomphe.

• RMweb Gold

In the following year a couple of family members have the temerity to not laugh at Uncle Charlie's joke again and are immediately castigated for having no sense of humour.

Well this is all very well. I think I understand what is being said here.

However, to my mind, the whole thrust of Adrian's argument falls down flat if one doesn't have an Uncle Charlie.

I don't have an Uncle Charlie, so I don't quite see how a relative that I don't have can cause embarrassment at Christmas by repeating a joke that he could never possibly have told, because he doesn't exist.

I can't speak for other families, of course, but perhaps there are families who have an Uncle Boris. Maybe this Uncle Boris, assuming he exists, might relate a somewhat tedious and repetitive joke every year, although I imagine that this would only happen if he had sufficient sausage meat with his Christmas lunch.

Oddly enough, the serving of sausage meat with Christmas lunch is by no means a guaranteed event at Kernow Towers, as the sausage meat would have to be gluten-free to satisfy CTMK's dietary requirements. I can say that gluten-free gravy is tasty enough, it's certainly better than no gravy at all.

There is always the chance of raiding the secret sausage supply, but as soon as said supply is raided, it ceases to become secret, as I've yet to discover a way of keeping the cooking of sausages from the keen nose of CTMK. The use of the extractor fan in the kitchen has always given the conspirator away in the past.

So, sausages have to be a collaborative affair here at Kernow Towers, and if they're not gluten-free, then they tend not to happen.

One is then forced back to the contingency of relying on street vendors in Northern Germany or the deli counter in Tesco, where I still maintain that their Cumberland Ring takes some beating.

So, back to the main topic.

What was it we were talking about?

Archived