MRJ 251

NHY 581

Uncle Charlie is dead.

There was an Uncle Charlie on both sides of the family so to be strictly accurate both Uncle Charlies are dead.

Reminds me of an expression from my early teenage years.

This thread also reminds me to pop into the butchers in Tring tomorrow as I need some Quails eggs and they also do a good selection of local sausages.

Now will 251 be in Smiffs, Hemel before my subscription copy arrives? The suspense.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Well this is all very well. I think I understand what is being said here.

However, to my mind, the whole thrust of Adrian's argument falls down flat if one doesn't have an Uncle Charlie.

I don't have an Uncle Charlie, so I don't quite see how a relative that I don't have can cause embarrassment at Christmas by repeating a joke that he could never possibly have told, because he doesn't exist.

I can't speak for other families, of course, but perhaps there are families who have an Uncle Boris. Maybe this Uncle Boris, assuming he exists, might relate a somewhat tedious and repetitive joke every year, although I imagine that this would only happen if he had sufficient sausage meat with his Christmas lunch.

Oddly enough, the serving of sausage meat with Christmas lunch is by no means a guaranteed event at Kernow Towers, as the sausage meat would have to be gluten-free to satisfy CTMK's dietary requirements. I can say that gluten-free gravy is tasty enough, it's certainly better than no gravy at all.

There is always the chance of raiding the secret sausage supply, but as soon as said supply is raided, it ceases to become secret, as I've yet to discover a way of keeping the cooking of sausages from the keen nose of CTMK. The use of the extractor fan in the kitchen has always given the conspirator away in the past.

So, sausages have to be a collaborative affair here at Kernow Towers, and if they're not gluten-free, then they tend not to happen.

One is then forced back to the contingency of relying on street vendors in Northern Germany or the deli counter in Tesco, where I still maintain that their Cumberland Ring takes some beating.

So, back to the main topic.

What was it we were talking about?

Two observations here, CK.

Firstly, is this the same Uncle Boris who is now Home Secretary.

Secondly, and very relevant, I feel obliged to instruct that 'beating a Cumberland ring' is still an offence in Cumbria and carries with it a hefty fine and a requirement to wear tight trousers for a time period as set by the Magistrate.

In 1923, Cuthbert Fosdyke, 23 yrs, was fined two pounds and required to wear tight trouser for seven months and 20 days.

He was convicted of ' Wanton and furious beating of the Cumberland ring belonging to Elsie Upshank 38 yrs of Whitehaven'

Rob.

We have an Uncle Mort, also known as 'happy release'......as relatives usually fall of the perch following a visit.

He is very serious, deadly serious and there's no room for mirth, merriment or japes in his world.

I'll try and post a link to his blog.........hopefully some one will read it after all the effort he puts in.

Most importantly of all, only two days to go before we can start this thread properly*

I'm very excited.

*By "properly" I mean adding anything that might be vaguely described as amusing, and/or annoying to those who believe anything other than an Incredibly Serious Discussion Of Contents Only is an act of heresy.

Surely you mean 2 more days to start the pre-emptive MRJ 252 thread?

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Ha! Sorry to disappoint you but it's not annoying anymore if anything I've come to realise it's sympathy and understanding that is required. By way of a little explanation: 

It's like having a family reunion and the first year your Uncle Charlie stands up to make a speech and in it makes some jokey in family joke that gets a laugh. Next year he's struggling to think of something witty to say but thinks I know what got a laugh last year I'll use this joke again, everyone laughs a bit but thinks hang on a minute we heard this last year.

By the third or fourth year you're all trying to guess at which point in the speech Uncle Charlie is going to make his joke again.

By the fifth and sixth year a few of the regulars are finding it annoying and try to derail Uncle Charlie's speech by shouting out the punchline before Uncle Charlie makes the joke.

Now into the seventh and eighth year and Uncle Charlie makes the same joke yet again and is getting heckled from the back seats now for using the same material.

In the following year a couple of family members have the temerity to not laugh at Uncle Charlie's joke again and are immediately castigated for having no sense of humour.

So now we are into the 9th and 10th year and Uncle Charlie still thinks his joke is funny because it got a laugh in the first year and is going to use it yet again. The rest of the family now know they are going to have to hear the "joke" yet again but humour him because they realise it is obviously the one high point in the year for Uncle Charlie - the only thing keeping him involved from one year to the next is his one chance to stand up and be make his joke. Whilst it would nice if Uncle Charlie could find a new joke it won't surprise anyone in the least when he trots out the same old joke again - So we sympathise and humour him because we now understand that he needs to make the joke to feel part of the family.

So we are now into what must be the 15th anniversary of the MRJ "joke", who's going to be Uncle Charlie? which will no doubt spawn a "Je suis l'oncle Charlie" meme as well!!

Anyone who claims not to be annoyed, and then goes on to give a very long and detailed explanation of exactly why it is that they are not annoyed, is clearly annoyed.

My work here is done.

• RMweb Gold

Uncle Charlie is dead.There was an Uncle Charlie on both sides of the family so to be strictly accurate both Uncle Charlies are dead.Reminds me of an expression from my early teenage years.This thread also reminds me to pop into the butchers in Tring tomorrow as I need some Quails eggs and they also do a good selection of local sausages.Now will 251 be in Smiffs, Hemel before my subscription copy arrives? The suspense.Bernard

Good lord, Tring? 15 years ago I lived near the Tring Natural History museum. I popped back there last January for a look around, and it's not changed much. :) it's a lovely place to be, and I used to enjoy the Christmas market. The hardware store there was more than twice as old as Fernie, the town I moved to in Canada.

Berko on the other hand was a bit of a nightmare to drive through. Ugh.

Good lord, Tring? 15 years ago I lived near the Tring Natural History museum. I popped back there last January for a look around, and it's not changed much. :) it's a lovely place to be, and I used to enjoy the Christmas market. The hardware store there was more than twice as old as Fernie, the town I moved to in Canada.

Berko on the other hand was a bit of a nightmare to drive through. Ugh.

Steady on, we might get round to a sensible discussion, even if well OT.

The name of the shop is Grace and the family have been there as long as any one can remember.

They owned all sorts of other businesses as well.

There are some very elaborate railings and a spiral stair case in the museum and my grandfather, not the one mentioned in the remembrance thread, was a blacksmith and he worked on this iron work.

There is a very nice little local museum in the old market building but it is only open on a Friday.

I knew a chap called John Bowman and he has donated various items to the museum. He was an engine driver while in the army. He was involved with the assembly of USATC stock in the Hainault Loop prior to D Day and was later  posted to Berlin around 1947. I had some fascinating chats with him about his experiences.

Traffic in Berko has not got any better.

Bernard

Ha! Sorry to disappoint you but it's not annoying anymore if anything I've come to realise it's sympathy and understanding that is required. By way of a little explanation: 

Quite a lot of Blah snipped.  :smile_mini2: 

:rolleyes_mini:

Call that a "little explanation"?  

I do detect a hint of annoyance. Some might even interpret it as a bit of a heckle, but to be a good heckle keep it short, to the point and witty (see below). Some say, "never heckle when hackled".

That will allow this one to be left for those who just want to do their wurst.

Good one Tony. 10/10 for that. Showing others the way.  :wink_mini:

In 1923, Cuthbert Fosdyke, 23 yrs, was fined two pounds and required to wear tight trouser for seven months and 20 days.

He was convicted of ' Wanton and furious beating of the Cumberland ring belonging to Elsie Upshank 38 yrs of Whitehaven'

"The Fosdykes". A reet set of little tinkers, they were. Nowt like a good bit of tripe in an MRJ thread. Thanks for bringing it up. (May it takeover from sausage and cabbage!)

post-508-0-70060700-1479411225.jpg

P

• RMweb Premium

Back to the Journo....and Tring.......

Some years ago, a portion of a 4mm dead scale layout based on Tring graced the hallowed pages.

I think it was based down under, NZ perhaps?

Does anyone know if it was ever completed?

I am not sure how advanced the layout got but sadly the builder (from memory I think he was called Bill Richmond) passed away a while ago. By coincidence, I was chatting with somebody on Monday and the subject of the layout came up. He told me that it was presently stored but if anybody wanted to take it on, it could be available.

You are right, it was in NZ and although Tring was the part featured in MRJ the layout also included that little terminus just up the line from there. I think it was called Euston. The layout was not to P4 standards but to the even closer to scale S4.

I am not sure how advanced the layout got but sadly the builder (from memory I think he was called Bill Richmond) passed away a while ago. By coincidence, I was chatting with somebody on Monday and the subject of the layout came up. He told me that it was presently stored but if anybody wanted to take it on, it could be available.

You are right, it was in NZ and although Tring was the part featured in MRJ the layout also included that little terminus just up the line from there. I think it was called Euston. The layout was not to P4 standards but to the even closer to scale S4.

It appeared in MRJ 23, 1988, with more pictures in issue 27.

The following appeared in MRJ 105, 1998;

"Ten years ago, MRJ published the first ever account of Bill Richmond's extraordinary modelling odyssey in New Zealand - the re-creation of a large section of the LMS main line in 4mm scale. Bill sticks to pure, uncompromised Scalefour standards, and even back in 1988, he'd been at work on his project for some 20 years. Today - with over 30 years under his belt - the project continues, aided by a team of enthusiastic helpers from both the Antipodes and the UK. With work now starting on the construction of Euston itself, two of them - David Lord and Roger Howell - sent this report."

Is it still in existence 18 years later? I would be a little surprised, as such an impressive project would surely have received  further mentions.

The information about MRJ content can be found in the excellent online MRJ Index 

http://www.modelrailwayjournal.com/

• RMweb Premium

It appeared in MRJ 23, 1988, with more pictures in issue 27.

The following appeared in MRJ 105, 1998;

"Ten years ago, MRJ published the first ever account of Bill Richmond's extraordinary modelling odyssey in New Zealand - the re-creation of a large section of the LMS main line in 4mm scale. Bill sticks to pure, uncompromised Scalefour standards, and even back in 1988, he'd been at work on his project for some 20 years. Today - with over 30 years under his belt - the project continues, aided by a team of enthusiastic helpers from both the Antipodes and the UK. With work now starting on the construction of Euston itself, two of them - David Lord and Roger Howell - sent this report."

Is it still in existence 18 years later? I would be a little surprised, as such an impressive project would surely have received  further mentions.

The information about MRJ content can be found in the excellent online MRJ Index 

http://www.modelrailwayjournal.com/

I will get in touch with the person who I was talking to about it and see if I can find some extra information on the present status of the layout.

According to what he told me, it does still exist, in store, in the hope that somebody wants to take it on. 

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps all those who enjoy posting about sausages and Smiths would like to move to the BRM thread.  I'm sure Warners would love their magazine to get even half as many posts as MRJ consistently receives....

DT

Perhaps all those who enjoy posting about sausages and Smiths would like to move to the BRM thread.  I'm sure Warners would love their magazine to get even half as many posts as MRJ consistently receives....

Just a minute. That looks suspiciously like...   PARP...  "Repetition"!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115544-mrj-250/page-6&do=findComment&comment=2458799

post-508-0-49198800-1479477426.jpg

P

• RMweb Gold

DT

post-14122-0-75383700-1479477697.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

DT

No, not really, but thank you so much for being so caring and considerate as to include us in your thoughts.

Archived