3/4" Allchin Agricultural

Harrogate009

My most recent steaming project, following on from a few stationary's:

post-21360-0-84506300-1478032448_thumb.jpg

I am only 16, so this isn't a particularly advanced model for lack of skill & access to machines.

This is my most recent foray into model engineering, though I have involvement in all sorts of real world engineering, including steam preservation.

Good job.  My model from when I was 16 is "thing", 

21121981523_cb15fd83fa_c.jpgThing1 by Peach James, on Flickr

Mostly built on a 9" South Bend, and a home-made mill.  I had access to tools at school as well, a full sized bridgeport did some of the milling, along with a very small CNC mill & big lathes (13" or so).  I had help from dad, the boiler was his work not mine, but the fittings were mostly my work.  It's still sitting downstairs, with the 2nd boiler on it, and a 3rd down there with it.  The 2nd has 3/8" tubes, the 3rd has 1/4"- the first boiler was the semi flash boiler based on the Sentinel Doble, which was incredibly impossible to steam.  The engine is a Stuart, now it has mine on it (after re-work), but originally it had a bitza that dad made up from a few bits of V10.  Gear reduction is ~6:1, and you can time it best with a calender when pulling the driver around the track.  

(photo is when I was 19, I think...so 20 & 1/2 years ago...)

James

Thanks.

I considered a 16mm loco as a first project but at the time I had no where to run it at the time, plus this is something a little different.

The boiler on this is fairly larger for use with a roundhouse burner, at 54mm external diameter with 19mm flue. It steams quite well, though the burner struggles to work against the regulator.

A 1:15 gearing on this, single speed set up, and single direction valve gear. There is, however, scope to add Stephenson's later on if I wish.

I'm looking at a 16mm scale model of the Harrogate Gas Works peckett at the moment, though I'm struggling to find drawings.

Archived