Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - The Wishlist Poll 2016

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Very many thanks to all who voted! The results in the usual three formats are attached for N and 00.

Once again, The Poll Team would like to thank Andy York for his help with 'the computerised bits'. As ever, it has been a great pleasure to work with him on this project.

We also send our regards and best wishes to Phil Parker. Many of you will know that MREmag was 'derailed' last month, so we are unable to thank him there. All the best, Phil, and many thanks for your support of our work over the years!

OK... we hope you all enjoy reading the results. One thing to take into account is that we deleted the 'Lineside' category this year as we couldn't do the subject justice. That, together with the deletion of the announced items, has freed up 19 spaces in The Top 50.

Brian Macdermott (on behalf of The Poll Team)

1. 2016 00 Most Wanted.pdf

2. 2016 00 Results by Category.pdf

3. 2016 00 Results Top-to-Bottom.pdf

4. 2016 N Most Wanted.pdf

5. 2016 N Results By Category.pdf

6. 2016 N Results Top-to-Bottom.pdf

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For OO, nice to see the U at 2 :D

Also in OO nice to see the Terrier, 442 and 205 get a shout in the top fifty as well :)

Edited by Ian J.

Interesting to see that the Bulleid Leader class did reasonably well. Although not a particularly successful prototype, and with limited relevance to most modellers, it's nonetheless the kind of quirky, offbeat loco that seems to do quite well for manufacturers. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that crop up in a release announcement.

• RMweb Gold

Over 400 votes for a loco class that was very restricted in its allocation, at least until its final couple of years, and barely lasted more than 10 years in service?

Surely the success of the recent USA class tank blows any, indeed all theories of what makes a commercial success out of the water?

Edited by PhilH

• RMweb Gold

Over 400 votes for a loco class that was very restricted in its allocation, at least until its final couple of years, and barely lasted more than 10 years in service?

Hello Johnny

I guess you mean the 78xxx. This is how it has fared since 2012.

2012 - 9th overall. All eight ahead of it (apart from the Class 120) have been made or announced.

2013 - 2nd

2014 - 2nd

2015 - 2nd

2016 - 1st. It had been second in previous years to the Gated Level Crossing.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil

Many thanks for the kind comments -  much appreciated as usual.

We always give the voter totals at the end of the 'Most Wanted' results (as they are the most downloaded).

00 - 2473 (up from 2178 in 2015)

N - 552 (up from 528 in 2015)

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

We always give the voter totals at the end of the 'Most Wanted' results (as they are the most downloaded).

00 - 2473 (up from 2178 in 2015) ...

Thanks  -  sorry, I missed the total.

So the largest "OO" vote of 443 for the BR Standard Class 2 2-6-0 only represents 17.9% of the total voters.  Likewise the 50th most popular (Class 70 SR Co-Co) with 239 votes only represents 9.7% of the voters.

I can understand why the manufacturers have to think about what they produce.

====================================

(EDITED  FOR STUPIDITY)

Up 300 in a year !

Interesting.

Edited by phil gollin

We also send our regards and best wishes to Phil Parker. Many of you will know that MREmag was 'derailed' last month, so we are unable to thank him there. All the best, Phil, and many thanks for your support of our work over the years!

Hear hear!

While I was but an occasional MREmag reader, it is clear that Phil did yeoman's work there.  While many clearly appreciated his contributions, evidenced in apparent dissatisfaction with the changes, such work is on the whole quite thankless, as I'm sure Andy York can attest through his experiences (and now career) running RMweb.

Very many thanks to all who voted! 

Brian, perhaps I missed it in the results, but how many individuals participated in the 00 poll?

EDIT:

My apologies: I should have read the thread more carefully:

... Second, a question.  The largest number of votes for a single subject was 443.  Can you tell what was the total number of separate individuals voting ?

00 - 2473 (up from 2178 in 2015)

N - 552 (up from 528 in 2015)

I will say that it is easy to miss, even when you are looking for it.

Congratulations on the trend.

post-1819-0-91622400-1478188043.jpg

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Brian,

There's a curious clue in the header of your PDFs.

"Draft Summary of BRCS Survey of “Commercially Viable Coaches "

I very much liked the work of the team on "commercially viable steam locomotives" (even if Hornby picked a different Peckett!)

I look forward to an essay on "commercially viable coaches" and hope that the difficulties in selecting 'representative' diagrams don't dissuade you and the team from including Churchward toplight coaches, which polled strongly again - this time in 13th place overall and 3rd on the coaching stock list.

On a related topic, I continue to find it interesting that GWR slip coaches poll as low as they do. (Of course I remain keen.) The best answer of course is probably a well built kit, but I find the results interesting all the same.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

I can understand why the manufacturers have to think about what they produce.

Yes.

If you make the assumption (bad I know so please don't tell me why) that people will mostly purchase models from their era/region of interest the total market divides down radically.

I happen to like pre-1940s(ish) West of England subjects. (I like steamy green things.) But even GWR/SR/S&DJR subjects will represent less than half pre-nationalization subjects and results in a pretty small percentage of likely buyers.

This is why the shiny object phenomenon - a really pretty/interesting/unique model has such cachet - like the Wainwright C class (I resisted temptation there) or the GNR Stirling Single (I plan to get one of those) is so important. The more interesting the model the more enthusiasts are likely to be drawn out of their self-imposed 'rules' about what they want in a model railway item.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

I assume the manufacturers know how to interpret these results based on previous experience. OO and N may be most popular, but O gauge and OO9 are getting more popular, and manufacturers have responded.

Well, I propose we suggest something - particularly in the 009 space.

I mentioned here that "I do think 009 might be handled the same way as "Industrial" locomotives."

To Brian's reply:

Hello Oz

If you can give us some thoughts on what it might look like, I'd welcome the input either here or to the email address you have for me.

Thanks.

Brian Macdermott (on behalf of The Poll Team)

I think we can come up with something.

Brian, since the poll is no longer visible, Can you send me the list of the 009 questions?

Edited by Ozexpatriate