New modelling Magazine

David Bigcheeseplant

Further to EddieB's post 48 there have been three issues: December, January and February. Although it is called the 'Railway Magazine guide to modelling' they are on a separate pile in the Swanage Station shop. There are some interesting articles about the Bachmann 00 gauge passenger luggage van, NEM 362 couplings and the history of Hornby railways as made by Meccano in the February issue.

• RMweb Premium

The list of outlets has 19 in Essex though three are model railway clubs, one is the Chilterns Association of Model Railway Clubs and two are preserved railways. A similar sort of mix in other areas, and quite a number which do not appear to be model railway shops.

Not something to lose sleep over if you can't get a copy, methinks.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

None in WHSmiths or indeed my local shop which did have the preview type issue some months back.  How are they supposed to make a decent headway in sales when it is not even generally available?

• RMweb Premium

So if it is a freebie then again it needs a decent comprehensive distribution network on the same lines as the pay for mags. At the moment all there seems to be is random availability of something that the majority of its target audience either don't know anything about or simply cannot find.

The alternative is this winds up dead in the water before it has barely begun.

I've not seen it anywhere. Not even as a freebie in any of the magazines.

I did get a nice little branch lines booklet In the latest Railway Magazine though.

Jason

I got my copy of the first issue bagged with Rail Express, but I've not seen later issues being made available.  Its a pity you can't buy issues direct from the publisher for a nominal (ie P&P) charge.  Might not keep it beyond a couple of reads, unless there was something of real interest, but it could be passed on to useful targets....

• RMweb Premium

Found the latest issue in my local craft/model shop. Nearly tripped over the huge pile of them in a box on the floor. Might be what you'd expect in terms of quality and subject matter given that it's a freebie. Rather like those booklets of products for sale stapled into many mags these days. Probably good for peaking the interest of someone not into railway modelling and encouraging them to look closer at it, but I wouldn't think it would hold more than a passing interest for anyone else. Nothng I would go out of my way to get, and by that I mean making a detour into a shop I was passing to pick one up.

Izzy

I got a copy with Rail Express mag this month. Quick flick through, & straight in the recycling bin. Sorted.

Rail Express, on the other hand, I quite like , even if only as an occasional buyer. The modelling section is getting pretty good - maybe they should switch it around, so that the prototype info is a supplement inside the modelling magazine!! :yes:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys.

Distribution of this Mag has taken a different turn.

At our Club (we rent a hall once a week), a box of about 50 copies was delivered without notice last week.

It needed to be lifted by someone in their late years or left outside. The contents could have been anything, so the elderly person took it in.

You'd think that when our address is a c/o address, someone with a smidgen of sense wight think twice about dispatching such a heavy box without first checking.

No doubt more Clubs will be receiving copies.

Dave.

ps. they call is a Newspaper.

Edited by dasatcopthorne

Our club got a big box, delivered unannounced to the church we are in the grounds of. Not sure what we are going to do with them all.

I thought the cover design was very reminiscent of many other magazines, the typeface of the title was very RMesque, for example.

Attending a meeting at Keen House this evening, I was nursing an expectation that at least the HQ of the Model Railway Club would have copies.  Seems like they may get them occasionally -,but not on this occasion.

We do get copies, and they are put out in our main meeting room when they arrive for members and those attending other meetings to take. Perhaps they hadn't arrived or had all gone - they do tend to go quite fast.

• 4 weeks later...

Having replied to the email from them, a Colin Smith, asking them to stop deliveries another box has arrived.

Yet again an elderly person has shifted it out of the weather.

This is fast becoming junk mail and needs to be sorted out by whoever is delivering this unsolicited stuff.

Then someone has to take it to the dump for recyling.

I hope someone from Mortons Media Group reads these posts.

Dave

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another edition has arrived at my local model emporium.  It seems to have devolved a bit, being of newspaper format (complete with poor quality chip wrapper paper) presumably to reduce costs?  I can't really see this lasting much longer.

Its still going?

I've not seen any issues since the one given away with Rail Express.

Visited a couple of preserved railways this summer and while I didn't ask if they had any, I didn't see any in their shops either.  As for availibility on Issuu, I find their interface tiresome, so I don't bother, and there doesn't appear to be a download facility so I can't keep it for later use anyway!.