The owner is an 'O' gauge L&Y modeller so won't be doing anything with it.  It came to him via his 2nd wife's brother who had it when he was a lad.  He may look to parting with it as is, no chance of him re-magging it - or me!

It's not a roller pickup one, definitely plunger.  I'll try and take a couple of photos for you.

http://prosandconscomic.com/comics/december-25-2016/

Thought you might enjoy this, even if it is Hornby.

Christmas comic strip that was in our papers.

Obviously the artist is an enthusiast seeing the quoted catalogue number is correct (the drawing rather less so...). Today's Hornby is really Tri-ang, so it's quite acceptable here!

There is an American tradition of a train around the Christmas tree - my suggestion of following this delightful idea was vetoed by both wife and daughter...   :scratchhead:.  

It would have been an excuse to run my 'Davy Crockett'.  (OK! Right! Excuse not needed!)

P.S. They appear to be valuable   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Triang-Davy-Crockett-Steam-Engine-Tender-Spares-or-Refurbishment-/152388616410

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested - a Rovex Plunger Princess with most of her box. She needs a tender, but otherwise seems quite reasonable with only slight warping around the cab. A bargain price at the moment!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rovex-Tri-Ang-Hornby-Princess-Elizabeth-Locomotive-with-Original-Box/172506228887?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140328180637%26meid%3D6d58fc011e6a4231a1acc65a8e17f22c%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D232221504425

There's also a Trackmaster N2 complete with her key.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tri-ang-Railways-R-51-Precision-Clockwork-Side-Tank-Loco-Complete-With-Winding-K/232221504425?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D774c7ae71cad441781b5379346a7b8b8%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D311791123698

Despite the heading, this is NOT a Tri-ang R.51. These have insulated wheels and Tri-ang couplings. A Trackmaster wagon (easy enough to find) can provide the missing pony wheels. I think this is the later type which should have disc wheels.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

There has been one or two like this before but I have never seen the pre-plunger version advertised.  This one had rollers where the plungers were situated.  I have one photo but that's all.

Garry

They are rather like hen's teeth. Not many were made and few will have survived due to a excess of plastic in the construction and a tendency to warp. I seem to recall one selling for a large sum recently.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There's also a Trackmaster N2 complete with her key.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tri-ang-Railways-R-51-Precision-Clockwork-Side-Tank-Loco-Complete-With-Winding-K/232221504425?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D774c7ae71cad441781b5379346a7b8b8%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D311791123698

Despite the heading, this is NOT a Tri-ang R.51. These have insulated wheels and Tri-ang couplings. A Trackmaster wagon (easy enough to find) can provide the missing pony wheels. I think this is the later type which should have disc wheels.

Early version of the R51, tri-ang couplers, disc wheels with original trackmaster wagons. Note the finer wheel treads, spoked wheels, closed axle boxes.

post-6952-0-02058600-1489666477.jpg

Edited by TT3
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously the artist is an enthusiast seeing the quoted catalogue number is correct (the drawing rather less so...). Today's Hornby is really Tri-ang, so it's quite acceptable here!

There is an American tradition of a train around the Christmas tree - my suggestion of following this delightful idea was vetoed by both wife and daughter...   :scratchhead:.  

It would have been an excuse to run my 'Davy Crockett'.  (OK! Right! Excuse not needed!)

P.S. They appear to be valuable   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Triang-Davy-Crockett-Steam-Engine-Tender-Spares-or-Refurbishment-/152388616410

Oh dear.   I had two damaged Crockets, one now has a shortened Princess chassis with Jinty wheels as a 4-6-0 and the other with a shortened body on a Jinty Chassis converted to 4-4-0, I have no idea how I fitted coupling rods as it looks like I used Jinty wheels on that as well.   I want (ed)  another body to make the 2-8-0 version on a H/D 1/2" 8F chassis.  They were my sons nominally and ran on Super 4 track on floor layouts when we rented houses for holidays.  

• Like 3

While searching for some TT bits and pieces I came across this JVM loco thinking it was Trackmaster having just seen TT3's post on here.  I certainly would never have bought it as it is so it must have been in a box along with other items a few years ago.  I have not tried it as I am working on my TT layout now but it looks to be in good condition.  The "cracks" that can be seen are only paint ones that are not even noticeable to the naked eye and not Mazak rot.  Until I saw the photos I had not noticed them and so looked to see if it was rot and still cannot see them so it is just the flash highlighting it.

Having plenty of Dublo ones and knowing the Trackmaster one and now this JVM (is that Gaiety?), how many other variations of this diecast model came out?

Garry

post-22530-0-57390700-1490713891_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-14034100-1490713900_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-70883700-1490713908_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-93183500-1490713917_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-22897600-1490713928_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-77246200-1490713937_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The Trackmaster N2 continued as Tri-ang and then appears to have been sold to Kirdon. The castings all appear to be the same. Gaiety's remained with them, but was not as successful as their pannier tank, presumably due to the Dublo model, to which it bears a close resemblance. It is a better model than the pannier, but the latter had no competition in th e50s R-T-R market. There are many variations of the Dublo N2 of course and still more from when it went to Wrenn.

A complete collection would consist of around fifty models at a rough guess.

• Like 1

Interesting mechanism, like a miniaturised version of a BL 0 gauge one.

K

It bears a passing resemblance to this Cherry's one?

post-807-0-23996800-1490805978_thumb.jpg

Obviously not identical but the long thin style seemed popular at the time.  I really like the 'plug-in' method of fitting.

• Like 1

It bears a passing resemblance to this Cherry's one?

attachicon.gifCherry's Motor & Chassis Aug 54.A.jpg

Obviously not identical but the long thin style seemed popular at the time.  I really like the 'plug-in' method of fitting.

The motor is certainly similar to the Gaiety one. The separate parts were available, so maybe there is a close relationship? The armature and puny brush gear seem the same. The locomotive is the Gaiety pannier tank of course.

5 thou doesn't seem much clearance for  the commutator and, on a critical note, the wheels don't line up with the splashers,

Edited by Il Grifone

Er, dunno.

On long, thin motors: my guess is that they were an attempt to get greater torque from fairly weedy permanent magnets.

My second guess is that it wasn't very effective, because it simply created a more distributed field, with a greater ratio of air-to-iron in the magnetic circuit than in a shorter design.

The bit that intrigues me is the slight gap in the middle. Do the armature coils do something interesting at that point, intended to minimise "cogging"? And, if not, why is there a gap at all?

Was the USA ahead of us in terms of permanent magnet strength at this date, allowing the Pitman motor to be more compact?

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

Don't know if this has been asked already, but were the Tri-ang station buildings based on any particular prototype?

Margate?   :)

Really I have no idea. The chimneys are rather particular.

The latter item is often/usually missing, but a repro replacement is available  http://www.model-supplies.co.uk/oddments.htm

I don't know anything more about it. I keep meaning to order some parts..... (they also do a few Dublo parts including that horse!)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Er, dunno.

On long, thin motors: my guess is that they were an attempt to get greater torque from fairly weedy permanent magnets.

My second guess is that it wasn't very effective, because it simply created a more distributed field, with a greater ratio of air-to-iron in the magnetic circuit than in a shorter design.

The bit that intrigues me is the slight gap in the middle. Do the armature coils do something interesting at that point, intended to minimise "cogging"? And, if not, why is there a gap at all?

Was the USA ahead of us in terms of permanent magnet strength at this date, allowing the Pitman motor to be more compact?

Kevin

The Gaiety motor has five poles but still 'cogs'. I would tend to agree rather the poor design. I have a couple which suffer from the brushes running hot. It could be oil on the commutator or a weak magnet (though they don't seem any weaker than ones that are OK).

The Pittman motor is roughly the same size as an X.04, so I don't think there is any great difference in magnetic technology. It's better made, but then it cost rather more. I recall an X.04 cost 12/10d in the sixties. From the link a price of $5.25 can be seen for a Pittman (over £2 at the time  - £1 = $2.8. When it was devalued to $2.8 in the late sixties following yet another pre Common Market crisis you have thought the end of the world had occurred from all the hoo-hah. A similar devaluation today passes without comment and our economy is supposedly booming   :scratchhead: )

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105520-large-pitman-7-pole-motor/

David

Edited by Il Grifone

The latter item is often/usually missing, but a repro replacement is available  http://www.model-supplies.co.uk/oddments.htm

I don't know anything more about it. I keep meaning to order some parts..... (they also do a few Dublo parts including that horse!)

What an amazing site! Pity there aren't photos of all the items, it would be an interesting half hour (or so!) trawling through them. Thanks for the link, it is now bookmarked for a future visit.

I'm fairly sure tha t the X04 motors was actually a Pittman design, iicesensed for production in Britain, either that or a 'Chinese Copy'(!) of the Pittman.

Pittman was supplying motors for H0 model trains well before supplying slot cars, see this interesting tale http://www.ecuriemartini.com/history.htm

K

post-26817-0-85901400-1490873696_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer