T25 Screw size

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

I have lost a screw on my Ryobi Petrol Line Trimmer. It holds the muffler together.

I know the head size of the screw takes a T25 Torx Screwdriver. From that information, can I work out the screw thread size?

TIA

• 5 months later...

The T25 size should relate only to one size if the bolt  maker follows the patent, but they do not always. The most common would be M6, the only way is to test with known sizes, it must be metric.

For the workshop I cut up a set of bolts as test gauges in each series, Whitworth, UNC, UNF, BA, Metric in fine and standard, plus some Swiss oddities used in watch and clockmaking, fitted them to keyrings and the row above the bench has those plus the Allen, Torx etc keys on rings, The shelf has about 60 rings of gauges for threads and screws now!, and still the right one eludes at times.

Stephen

• 2 months later...

From experience I've found it very difficult to differentiate between UNC and Whit up to about 1/4"  by eye, possibly pitch angle is slightly more acute with UNC.

Best

Guy

• 5 months later...

I have lost a screw on my Ryobi Petrol Line Trimmer. It holds the muffler together.

I know the head size of the screw takes a T25 Torx Screwdriver. From that information, can I work out the screw thread size?

TIA

Do you have a set of metric drills? Find which one just fits inside the screw hole. The screw will be 1mm bigger (assuming a 1mm pitch). Edited by meil

• 4 weeks later...