Strathmuir 4mm 1988 Scottish Region

87023Velocity

Why do I let you talk me into these things!!!

Ha Ha, it will be fine!

Been looking at the stock today and the first thing planned is to make a DBSO from the Hornby MK2e. I do have a DBSO using the Dapol MK2d but its showing its age, paint worn etc. It was actually done around 1996/97. I know Bachmann are producing a DBSO but I enjoy modelling so will convert the Hornby coach. Plus not sure when the Bachmann one is due.

post-6834-0-75278100-1478985925_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

Well its started, finding old projects which I had forgotten about. Looking through some of the boxes in the loft I found a class 104 conversion which I started around 2009/10 I think. This was not to run on Strathmuir but for a small North West based layout and the 104 would be a Newton Heath or Chester based set. Like lots of projects other things got in the way and took priority and the layout was never started either. Looking through Flickr and a small number of class 104 units could still be found operating in Scotland in 1988.

So here is how far the conversion got, basically sprayed and awaiting transfers, glazing etc. I had only planned on doing a 2 -car unit but all the ones in Scotland were operated as 3-car units. Fortunately I have the centre car somewhere. A new motor bogie will be fitted to replace the very old Ringfield Motor. This particular model was given to me  for Christmas aged 8 years old as a Blue/Grey Class 110 Calder unit so it would be quite nice to have it running on the layout.

Here is a picture of Class 104 Set 457 at Edinburgh Waverley as an example. Looking at the sets, 458 will be the better one to go for as it has a DMBS,DMCL & TSL which says chopping bodies up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101242744@N07/25285384036/in/photolist-EwocKb-bngQXj-qKGqZs-ndpvQE-qUAyZw-5r8pyd-7BtzwH-bAZ9ai-7mEvY8-dGVkud-y8WZeu-qKGACA-9Uds7r-cfV97Y-cYsSRm-qYHdbD-aBLgux-bAZ9mK-cEbqN3-cYt39u-apmZ7N-4kAp69-drLVQ9-9Dhtbr-9DhvyT-bAakgF-evqu1i-cR12us-q1754R-91oWqU-9vFd4E-CHDaeq-dvhWrK-dxDmsr-8HuvBc-9vCuqZ-dRchGP-a2nfKe-evXj54-7BxqXQ-dnyVXB-o1FFmv-e8MGTM-7aAY7g-9vtQ3s-9siR2E-cZ6tJC-apkTNK-cYtmFm-7BtxUp

And here is the unit so far.

post-6834-0-53886600-1479037137_thumb.jpg

Also we had 2 3-car class 101's both re-sprayed into Strathclyde Orange/Black but looking through Flickr shows there was also quite a few in standard Blue/Grey so one of these might also get added to the DMU roster if I happen to come across a suitable cheap Lima/Hornby class 101.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 7

Remember we have the 108 as well mate.

I had forgot about the 107. There were the odd class 120 DMUs still knocking about aswell but that might be pushing it - could build a DC kit.

Another item of stock to add to the roster is the Breakdown Crane. Mine is modelled on 96713 which was based at Springs Branch and later Crewe. 96714 was based at Haymarket I think. Will need to check on tool/staff vans on Departmentals.com

as they may differ from the ones used at Wigan TMD.

post-6834-0-80903000-1479047257_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 11

Another cracking layout Simon, and a great period to model too. I am seriously impressed by the number of projects that you can have on the go at one time. I struggle to cope with just one!

That crane is the bees knees......Any plans to make another one? If so could you make two! :sungum: :locomotive:

Another cracking layout Simon, and a great period to model too. I am seriously impressed by the number of projects that you can have on the go at one time. I struggle to cope with just one!

That crane is the bees knees......Any plans to make another one? If so could you make two! :sungum: :locomotive:

Hi Alex, thanks, to be fair though the layout has been in store for 12 years so just needs a tidy up as mentioned and the additional light units. I would like another crane but maybe a 75Ton fixed jib type but that would need scratchbuilding again or if its possible to heavily modify the Hornby example but not sure.

Fantastic crane there, Simon. I'm looking forward to watching this thread develop.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, looking forward to myself and Chris getting back operating Strathmuir at a show again and thanks about comments regards the crane.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Alex, thanks, to be fair though the layout has been in store for 12 years so just needs a tidy up as mentioned and the additional light units. I would like another crane but maybe a 75Ton fixed jib type but that would need scratchbuilding again or if its possible to heavily modify the Hornby example but not sure.

Thanks Dave, looking forward to myself and Chris getting back operating Strathmuir at a show again and thanks about comments regards the crane.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon, it still looks very good for being in storage for 12 years!

Apologies in advance, but is the fixed jib crane that you are talking about the same as Toton's old Cowans Sheldon fixed jib version? Sorry my knowledge of cranes is next to nothing!

Hi Simon, it still looks very good for being in storage for 12 years!

Apologies in advance, but is the fixed jib crane that you are talking about the same as Toton's old Cowans Sheldon fixed jib version? Sorry my knowledge of cranes is next to nothing!

Hi Alex,

No need for apologies, yes the fixed jib as per Toton, Motherwell had one aswell - it would be nice to have, maybe a long term project. Just been looking through Departmentals.com and all the tool vans for the Haymarket Breakdown Train are pictured which is good news, just need 3 Mk1 BSK's with BR1 bogies.

975483 Tool & Generator Van

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975483

975457 Tool Van coupled to crane 96714

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975457

975456 Staff and Tool Coach

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975456-2

Just thinking I could probably have different running numbers on the crane, 1 each side, that should work.

Cheers

Simon

That would certainly make a nice train to model, good luck with it.

Nice idea to have different numbers on each side.

Thanks Alex.

Just to confuse things further I stumbled across this Bachmann 37/7 as 37706 Conidae at £55 as it was a non runner. Long story short is it works now with no cost involved. In 1988 I don't believe a 37/7 had ventured to Scotland, however in 1989 37707 & 37708 were both transfered to Eastfield from Immingham and both saw quite a bit of passenger work which is good if your a tractor fan.

So not sure what to do, renumber (either 707 or708 with cant rail grill strapping added), detail and weather in this format and move time frame to 88-90?

post-6834-0-48818900-1479419872_thumb.jpg

Or pick a replacement body and swap them out. Hmmmmmm

Cheer

Simon

• Like 3

Managed to call in S and J models in Northwich for a browse this morning. Picked up 5 Hornby OTAs which at first I was going to use to replace the Cambrian kit versions we have on Dallam. However after placing them alongside each other I think the Cambrian versions will now be retained.

Here is the Hornby version alongside the Cambrian one.

post-6834-0-45197100-1479576585_thumb.jpg

The Hornby ones will be resprayed into Railfreight red and weathered accordingly.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

I have a couple of Lima class 47's which had been left in the loft as newer replacements had become available. One was part way through being finished but only with a small bit of detailing. I had a second look at them and then hatched a plan. Here is the progress so far..

The handrails on the front are from the first time round. Work so far has included removing the cab handrails, roof fan mouldings, boiler equipment mouldings and the windscreen and cabside windows have had the moulded surrounds removed. The curved bufferbeam has also been removed, a suitable straight replacement will be fitted.

post-6834-0-80173800-1480024698_thumb.jpg

Also the moulded gap between the battery boxes has been cut away aswell as the moulded infill above the battery boxes.

post-6834-0-62953400-1480024857_thumb.jpg

Replacement Ultrascale wheelsets will also be fitted. Not decided on lighting yet. The moulded pipework on the bogies has also been removed on the relevant side.

Hopefully once done they should look ok on the layout working a few short trains.

A few more arrivals for respraying for Strathmuir, Vitrains 37426, 47401. Not decided 100% what these will be but got a couple of ideas.

post-6834-0-04897600-1480025064_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

After a few busy weeks with work and family commitments for both myself and Chris, we managed to get 2 boards set up tonight so we could look at what needs doing. The layout was wired as standard cab control with probes and studs for point control. We decided tonight that we will change the layout over to DCC operation, the points will stay as DC control but with centre biased on-off-on toggle switches instead of the prob/stud set up.

Once this was all decided, a small amount of stock was placed on the layout.

08243 ticks over outside the p-way cabin, the XR3i must belong to one of the p-way gang, maybe the area manager.

post-6834-0-44630300-1481754245_thumb.jpg

Eastern visitor 37706 Conidae takes the Haymarket 75 ton crane up the branch to help clear some derailed wagons.

post-6834-0-32188900-1481754364_thumb.jpg

On the mainline a class 107 DMU slows for Strathmuir station.

post-6834-0-36057200-1481754456_thumb.jpg

It must be peak hour as staight behind is a Class 101/107 formation.

post-6834-0-31653800-1481754546_thumb.jpg

37706 heads up the branch again later this time with the p-way 15 ton crane and a couple of Salmon wagons.

post-6834-0-34076000-1481754629_thumb.jpg

So got quite a bit to do with both layout and stock and only 9 months to go!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8