Hello Peeps!

Newbridge Junction is the newest of what feels like my umpteenth layout I've tried designing and building but failed to complete in the last few years, but this one will very much be the one I will strive to be completed to a good standard, and then who knows, have the potential to be shown at a exhibition or as a layout feature article in a magazine in the future?

Located only a few miles to the west of Edinburgh in Scotland and a short distance south of The Forth Railway Bridge, Newbridge Junction is a fictional outer suburban station which is located in a real place found in your modern UK rail atlas.

The layout is the first of many over the years that I have been successful in building throughout modelling in OO in my teenage years, even once having a layout running round the walls of my old attic bedroom in my parents home before I was “evicted” from the attic into a smaller bedroom where I converted to N mainly due to the trouble with finding enough space for a decent layout in the much smaller room that I now found myself in around 8 years ago. All of the other previous attempts of building layouts failed at the stage where I had got the track down but then at the last minute I had suddenly changed my mind because I had seen a better and more interesting plan in either a track plans book or as I have done with Newbridge Junction, I just copied an existing layout plan from one seen in a Railway Modeller magazine that I liked the look of and which fitted in the allocated space in the room that we were building it in. I adjusted the plan to suit my own unique preferences so hopefully I will not get accused of “layout plagiarism” (If ever such a thing exists in this hobby!) as I admit that I am lazy (aka armchair modeller) and don't have the talent to draw up detailed layout plans. As we were spending time together one Saturday afternoon laying down the track for this layout, my Dad said that he had warned me that you'd better not change your mind again about track plans, as we had taken 6 years just to get this far!

The layout is built in N Gauge at a total baseboard size of only 6 feet 6 inches in length by 2 foot 6 inches in width and is what can be described as 'Modern Image' in the privatisation era what the rail traffic that would have been seen in the Edinburgh area at a time period between the year 2000 and 2016.

Newbridge Junction station is a busy location for rail traffic, as I imagine if the station was real it would make it a popular place for trainspotters in the area having a total of six platforms, four of which are used by through trains running on a 25 kV DC electrified mainline between Edinburgh Waverley, both of Glasgow's Queen Street & Central stations and other parts of both Scotland and Northern England (Including expresses to/from London) whilst the remaining two are short terminal platforms, mainly used by local DMU's running through to Waverley station and also serving the newly re-opened 'Waverley Route/Borders Railway'. Along with the station there is a small two track shed for servicing and refuelling diesel locomotives as I imagine it is used as a sub-shed of the main depot at Haymarket, and the local rumours amongst enthusiasts are known to be true that the shed manager is also welcoming to trainspotters! Located just behind platform 6 are sidings for Network Rail's engineering trains, located on the remains of the station's old goods yard.

Sam

Edited by sammyboy

Progress Update: More track has being layed earlier tonight and we could complete at least one of the double track circuits which make up the layout sooner than I thought - which means there is a real big possibility of trains (And new ones bought for Christmas at Warley!) being run before we hit the festive season yay!

Sam 

I must explain that the plan seen above was photographed from the new Peco Publication "Your Guide To N Gauge Railway Modelling", which I bought on Friday.

To me, this book feels like a Bible for N Gauge as it has so much useful and inspiring tips and features inside for all of us who model in the scale.

(Sorry for the state of the computer keyboard as the photo was taken on our office desk!)

Sam

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, the progress on the layout has resumed today before the New Year as we have been running one of very few railway related Christmas presents - the Scotrail Class 47 around the tracks, as a enjoyable first proper full test run/mini running session whilst also mending those places where the loco occasionally derailed with solder.

Sam

Edited by sammyboy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello folks, long time no read!

The Newbridge Junction layout is STILL in it's unballasted state, (Caused by many distractions i.e. work, plus spending too much time on here and enjoying playing computer games!) but at least I am happy with the running of the trains and the trackwork is all OK.

I'm sure there will be more pictures of my modelling to enlighten and inspire you coming soon...

Sam

• 2 months later...

Hello!

The picture seen below is of my reliveried Class 350 'Desiro' EMU into TransPennine Express colours, thanks to one of the vinyls bought from the 'Electra Railway Graphics' stand at the DEMU show at Burton-on-Trent Town Hall last weekend. And I can tell you that as a first time user, they are very fiddly and delicate to put on, but it makes the train look much better!

post-6145-0-13940100-1496756685_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Oops! I don't know why the picture appears to be vertical rather than horizontal, I'm 100% sure I took the photo with my iPad the right way up!

Plus I felt rather nervous when I stuck the vinyl on - it took me several failed attempts (on both sides of the coach) before I felt it looked right.

Sam

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry I've not updated you all about the layout for some time and my excuse is that it is the Summer and I want to go out and enjoy the good weather!

Holidays are coming up soon and as a family we're off down to Bournemouth for a week, to see my sister and her boyfriend who live down there in 3rd rail country - you never know, I'll probably return back home in Derbyshire with a load of inspiration and me wanting to build a Southern Region based layout...

Sam 

Edited by sammyboy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

DILEMMA: Do I either have a running session on the layout OR enjoy the sunshine?

Just as well I could even do both today!

Hi Sam,

How is your layout coming on? Looks like a good plan :) .....& you can never beat a good running session ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Not really an update of layout progress as such, but an idea:

What if I operate the layout in two different time eras - 1. A 'Modern Image' setting (year 2000 - present), this is the era the layout was originally designed for.

2. 'Backdating' the layout to the mid-1960's when it was possible to see all of steam, diesel & electric trains running on the WCML.

At least I'll now be able to give an excuse to buy more different locos and rolling stock and to make my operating sessions a lot more interesting - but just don't try to run trains from both eras at the same time!

Sam 

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: From today onwards, the room that my layout resides in will also become my new bedroom! This is because my parents want me to have a bigger room and we are in the process of being shunted around between rooms, as some of the upstairs rooms will have different uses for them as we begin 'redevelopment' of our family home.

Sam

hmmm.. nice! :sungum:

bigger room= bigger layout! :senile:

cheers

Mark

Sorry Mark (Scruff), there's no extra room in the new bedroom for expansion of the layout as all the furniture is in the room which fits perfectly - and I'm not ripping it all up again, my Dad would kill me!

Sam

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello!

Spent most of the afternoon having a great time just running trains around the layout, and being able to just relax in my big desk chair with music on and watching the trains go by!

Now what I really want to see running on the layout is the new Class 68 in Scotrail livery, will call into my local model shop to see if they've got it in stock tomorrow.

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

My fantastic brand new Class 68 diesel (Which was a birthday present yesterday!) on the layout - but can anyone tell me why my photos (which are taken with an iPad) always appear sideways on here?

Sam

My fantastic brand new Class 68 diesel (Which was a birthday present yesterday!) on the layout - but can anyone tell me why my photos (which are taken with an iPad) always appear sideways on here?

Sam

I find some times on my I pad they appear to down load on hear upside down even though they appear the right way up in the photo album on the I pad..

I realised the way to take pictures that you wish to down load from your album on the iPad need to be taken with the iPad volume buttons at the top as you hold it ( which is pain as the iPad then slips out of the cover/ folder it’s held in).

Though this could be how I may have un knowingly set it up.not sure

Could be worth trying

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Sam

Sam, If you go to your ‘Image’ icon App, select image/photo, click edit and the third option on the vertical menu allows you to rotate or crop your images. That should work?

Marlyn

• RMweb Premium

Sam

Hi Sam

Quick question about iPad photos. When you take them do you have iPad vertical with home button at the bottom?

If so then ipads have built in gyros which automatically detect original iPad orientation when photo was taken. So when viewed on any Apple device they know this and can reorientation the picture correctly. The iPad camera like any camera has a technically correct way up. The software compensates for taking it not the ‘correct’ way up. When uploaded to websites they cannot read the reorientation data.

Editing the photo to rotate mostly doesn’t work as this still results in wonky photos. I had this problem myself as well. Spoke to an Apple guy I know about it.

To get iPad to take pics that will appear fine on rmweb you need to take the pictures with the iPad held in a landscape orientation with the home button to the right. If you take pics like that they should always then upload correctly to rmweb.

Hope this info helps.