Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

New Book on the Southern Region Class 71 & Class 74 Locomotives

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 slilley

slilley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationLangley

Posted 23 November 2017 - 19:40

Excellent news,

May i ask, as there is a little confusion at the moment, is this  "'southern way' special number 14"

Cheers

Dave

Dave

Yes it is and I have been told this afternoon that they have arrived from the printers and will be at the NEC on Saturday.

I am going up there and will spend some time on the Crecy stand. Feel free to drop by one and all and have a chat if you wish.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like x 1

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#27 slilley

slilley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationLangley

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:07

I was at the Warley MRC show yesterday and delighted to hear how many copies were sold.

A big thank you to one and all who have bought the book so far

Best wishes

Simon

#28 ColinK

ColinK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:30

I hope there will be some available at the Manchester show next weekend.

#29 jbqfc

jbqfc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Locationcrawley

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:47

is there any where i can buy this book online
Thanks john

#30 Andy Y

Andy Y

RMweb Editor

• Administrators
  • 14,483 posts
  • LocationStaffs

Posted 26 November 2017 - 13:07

Just had a quick flick through; an excellent piece of work at first sight. I may have been the first to buy one yesterday as I grabbed one just as the advanced mob descended into Warley.

#31 slilley

slilley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationLangley

Posted 26 November 2017 - 14:02

is there any where i can buy this book online
Thanks john

Yes if you go to the Crecy website.

http://www.crecy.co....-special-no.-14

Best wishes

Simon

• Thanks x 1

#32 Bert Cheese

Bert Cheese

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationEH

Posted 01 December 2017 - 18:05

I received my copy in this mornings post from Crecy...a relatively quick glance through has found a wealth of information and plenty of new photographs to peruse.

Well worth the wait and a mere £16.95 for a better insight into these strange beasts that just eluded me...my only memory of them is having a look in the cab of a withdrawn 74 at Eastleigh depot as the fitters were stripping it, being around 6 y/o at the time I never thought to ask any questions!

#33 jbqfc

jbqfc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Locationcrawley

Posted 01 December 2017 - 18:32

got mine today as well and agree with Bert looks like a good read from the quick flick through

#34 ColinK

ColinK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 20:37

Picked up a copy at the Manchester Model Railway Exhibition. Must say it is an excellent book, explains everything in detail but very readable. My brain is still trying to work out how a booster loco works, but I’m no electrician.

When you read of all the changes made during the lives of the locos, rainstrips, grille changes, extra air vents, renumbering, livery changes etc Hornby and DJM must have been very brave to make a model 71 as so much changed over time.

#35 New Haven Neil

New Haven Neil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted 05 December 2017 - 20:39

Tonight's reading for me too!

#36 Kelly

Kelly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • LocationCoventry

Posted 05 December 2017 - 20:51

Been reading this, a great follow on to the CC1/CC2 book. Lots of great photos and information well done.

A class 73 follow on seems to me to be a logical step? something to consider perhaps?

#37 slilley

slilley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationLangley

Posted 05 December 2017 - 22:01

First of all thank you very much all of you who have left comments about the book. It is really good of you to leave feedback and so positive as well. Makes it all worthwhile.

As for the next book, well the Class 73s have been done already. I'll try and pick something that has not been looked at in a while I think.

Once again thank you very much and enjoy the read.

Best wishes

Simon

• Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Like x 1

#38 DJM Dave

DJM Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationLiverpool for my sins

Posted Today, 12:02

First of all thank you very much all of you who have left comments about the book. It is really good of you to leave feedback and so positive as well. Makes it all worthwhile.

As for the next book, well the Class 73s have been done already. I'll try and pick something that has not been looked at in a while I think.

Once again thank you very much and enjoy the read.

Best wishes

Simon

Yup,

now required reading, that's for sure!

Well done Simon, splendid job.

Cheers

Dave