Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

Well a bit of a minor disaster today, I went into the Shed and there was some water under the rubber Floor Mats by the Door, it looks like its come in from under the door frame, there is no damp on the walls or ceiling and it cant come up through the floor as it's 8'' off the Concrete base.

Lee, my mate is coming up tomorrow to have a look with me in the daylight.

Well a bit of a minor disaster today, I went into the Shed and there was some water under the rubber Floor Mats by the Door, it looks like its come in from under the door frame, there is no damp on the walls or ceiling and it cant come up through the floor as it's 8'' off the Concrete base.

Lee, my mate is coming up tomorrow to have a look with me in the daylight.

Looks like your door has had full on rain blowing at it.  I would think it is just a case of siliconing around the door frame that's required, although the extra rain strip would help too.

You could make one out of a bit of ali plate, drawing attached.

post-15323-0-51934800-1479680247_thumb.jpg

post-15323-0-66771800-1479680312_thumb.png

• Like 2

Looks like your door has had full on rain blowing at it.  I would think it is just a case of siliconing around the door frame that's required, although the extra rain strip would help too.

You could make one out of a bit of ali plate, drawing attached.

attachicon.gifpost-9335-0-18808800-1411738110.jpg

attachicon.gifshed.png

Hi Mick, Thanks for the drawing, since that pic was taken there is a rain shield along the top, but as you say, one along the bottom may be what's required as well. In the last 2 and a bit years there has been no signs of damp, and I only had the rubber mats up a few weeks ago to do another job and the floor was still like new underneath.

I will report back tomorrow.

Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Had a feeling you'd head down the O gauge route eventually :) I think the Dapol 08s will be too much of a magnet for a lot of people!  Me included!  I shall be following your progress, just wish I could move forward at the same speed you do!  Hope its nothing major with the shed.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Wind and rain together can find ways in at one place I had lean to with a slate roof the felt was taken 2 ins up the walls and lead chased into the wall above that and dressed down about 6 ins over the slates. The wind pushed the rain up the slates under the lead up to and over the felt. I had to put a line of bitumous mastic between the slates and the lead. What I should have done was to chase the felt into the wall as well as the lead.

With an outwards opening door the wind can push the rain onto the top of the doorwher it should be stopped by the seal but the ran will sit there and may seep through. Difficult to stop although some form of canopy/porch roof might be a long term solution it would also shelter you whilst opening and closing the door.

Incidentally an inward opening door has the problem every time you open the door when wet some water drips off the door onto the floor.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear about your water problems. The rain guards sound like a good idea as water can get in though all sorts of directions that can even look as if they're uphill at times. Unless it's a complete seal a very narrow gap can lead to capillary action that can take the nasty clear liquid anywhere.

Though you could build a small (say 10 x 8) porch that would keep the weather away from the door to the main potting shed and give you a little bit of space for...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear about your water problems. The rain guards sound like a good idea as water can get in though all sorts of directions that can even look as if they're uphill at times. Unless it's a complete seal a very narrow gap can lead to capillary action that can take the nasty clear liquid anywhere.

Though you could build a small (say 10 x 8) porch that would keep the weather away from the door to the main potting shed and give you a little bit of space for...

Funny, my immediate thought on reading your response was that adding a porch might provide Andy with an opportunity to start a garden railway!

Hope the problem gets resolved soonest Andy.

• Like 1

Hi Guys, Just a duplicate of the Willsbridge thread really.

The Shed man is coming out tomorrow, but Lee has been around and we have taken off the panel next to the door and it's coming down inside there, from the bottom of the Window, so definitely curable but will take a few days to dry it all out before I can re build it and make a start on tidying up the Shed.

post-9335-0-30669900-1479734939_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-31006400-1479734953_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-77329700-1479734967_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-45079500-1479734982_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-69257800-1479734999_thumb.jpg

Copy from Willsbridge.

I've Silconed the outside of the Windows, I know it wont work properly in the Rain, but it has slowed down the amount of water coming in from there. I now have the same with the other front Window and under the Door,

I will probably have to stay in the Shed overnight to stop the water on the Floor spreading and causing more dampness.

It's looking like I will need to Rent a Storage Unit and empty the Shed, and replace some flooring, the problem there is that the Flooring is a main part of the Shed and therefore the inside skin of Ply and insulation will need to come off before I can lift the Floor.

I'm not in a good place at the moment, to say I'm a little STRESSED would be an understatement.

Edited by Andrew P

Copy from Willsbridge.

I've Silconed the outside of the Windows, I know it wont work properly in the Rain, but it has slowed down the amount of water coming in from there. I now have the same with the other front Window and under the Door,

I will probably have to stay in the Shed overnight to stop the water on the Floor spreading and causing more dampness.

It's looking like I will need to Rent a Storage Unit and empty the Shed, and replace some flooring, the problem there is that the Flooring is a main part of the Shed and therefore the inside skin of Ply and insulation will need to come off before I can lift the Floor.

I'm not in a good place at the moment, to say I'm a little STRESSED would be an understatement.

Oh dear Andy, I'm sorry to hear this, what an awful issue. Water ingress is awful to deal with at the best of times, but in these awful conditions it's diabolical. Make sure you stay warm and dry, no matter what you do.

And havs a nice sit down and a cuppa regularly, it won't mend your shed, but it might help you!

All the best

Jinty ;)

HI Andrew,

Don't worry about it, wood is meant to get wet - they make boats out of it! Provided floor is not ordinary chipboard or mdf, it'll most likely dry out OK. I would suggest getting some heavy duty polythene, or a cheap Tarpaulin and cover as much as possible the end that is leaking.  Not sure how your doors and windows were fitted, but they need to be removed, and set back in properly, with sills, etc. Maybe a job for better weather.

Best wishes,

Ray

So sorry to hear about your water ingress into the shed - it must be serious driving rain that the structure is being subjected to.  I'm sure the plastic sheet will keep the rain out as long as it doesn't blow away.  Hope you are OK Andy.

Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

As long as it is not MDF and it can breathe it should dry out the problem with the insulation is it might not let it breathe although if there is space under the floor it should be able to dry out that way. Silicone is not always the answer it doesn't stick that well to wood which expands and contracts. A typical unlined shed it would not be a big issue as it would tend to evaporate away. A sill on the window resting on a piece of butyl (pond liner offcuts) would be something I would try.

Bit of a bu99er mate

Don

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

Hope the situation with the shed is improving. You mentioned about being stressed ... hopefully this minor gesture, while not improving the water situation, might help bring a smile to your face, and lighten the day (night?) a bit...

Feel free to hit delete if its not what you want tho ... or message me and I'll alter it for you.

Rich

post-16721-0-98759700-1479774091_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Morning Guys, Woke up with a whole NEW ATTITUDE after seeing the News this morning.

I'm a LUCKY ONE, some poor people have lost homes, Cars and Pets etc. there the ones with the BIG PROBLEMS.

And THANKS again Guys for ALL your Support / Comments / Postings  and PM's,  both here and on Willsbridge.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

That's it Andy a bit of the old Blighty spirit, sometimes we tend to wallow in our own problems and then we see that other people do have it much worse than ourselves, this is not meant trivialise your issues though.

Best regards

Craig

Just had a visitation from the Shed Man, he's left me a couple of tubes of Silicon to do a temporary job when the timber dries a bit in a couple of Days, he's then coming back to do Sills all around, strip out and re Silocon all the Windows, put an extra rain strip under the door and quote for a canopy of some sorts to protect the door and window tops.

• Like 3

Just had a visitation from the Shed Man, he's left me a couple of tubes of Silicon to do a temporary job when the timber dries a bit in a couple of Days, he's then coming back to do Sills all around, strip out and re Silocon all the Windows, put an extra rain strip under the door and quote for a canopy of some sorts to protect the door and window tops.

If you look at the link for ebay you will have some idea of price to compare your quote.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/porch-canopy