Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

The low-level shots of the track and wagons look very good, Andy.

Nice variation in the ballast colours.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, it's a mix of several colours to get the effect I wanted.

You need to give that 08 a bath in some s*#t, much too clean

Yes, I find Black Diesels / 08 a difficult one to get right, but I really must get it done, along with the Pannier and now the Iron Mink when it arrives. I wish I had the room to set the Spray Booth and Air Brush / Powder / Paint pots up permanently in the Shed, and before anyone says it, NO there will be NO SECOND SHED, hahha. :no:  :O  

Looking good Andy and you seem to be really enjoying your 7mm fix.

Apart from your 08 needing a blow over, you need some figures in your locos (I know I do too).

Have you seen the wonderful range that Modelu do in 7mm? They do lamps and all sorts of bits and bobs that are 3D printed, and for £5 each for figures in 7mm they are excellent value. https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/

And if you don't want to paint them, get Claudia to paint them for you at only £6 per figure, I've got a dozen or so with her at the moment.  https://www.cice.space/?lightbox=dataItem-ivqrldvt

A small layout demands detail, just as much as mine needs platforms!!!!! ;)

Jinty ;)

So nice to able to do a bit of shunting, I'm a ways away from that but things are moving forward.  I finished weathering my 08 today.    http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127114-another-as-yet-unnamed-7mm-layout/page-3 Post #66

Most of my figures are ModelU with a smattering Montys Models, Heroes of the Footplate and Omni.  I paint my own as best I can.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see you are expanding the layout Andy. This could be a worthy successor to Trebudoc. A couple of things one is sometimes a long siding is better than two short ones. Say you have room for a three foot long siding. Adding a turnout will give you two short ones 18 inches long. The capacity will be around 6 wagons either way. However if you have say the crane and the coal staithes along either the single siding or one of each of the two short ones. By adopting the principle that nothing comes in and then leaves by the next train you can have the situation on the single siding where to get to some wagons others have to be moved and then re-positioned adding to the moves.

The other thing is the position of baseboard joints can seem to constain the layout. For example using a 3ft 6in board I wanted 16in for headshunt which meant placing two turouts for the crossover one of them would have overhung the baseboard edge moving it back to make the join between them at the baseboard edge  lost some of the length of the run round loop. I found by sawing the turnout btween the crossing and the blades I could achieve a better result the only disadvantage being the need to provide the feed to the crossing via a baseboard connection. If you do that it is best to fix the turnout together with the boards joined then saw the turnout o it all aligns properly.

Don

Looking good Andy and you seem to be really enjoying your 7mm fix.

Apart from your 08 needing a blow over, you need some figures in your locos (I know I do too).

Have you seen the wonderful range that Modelu do in 7mm? They do lamps and all sorts of bits and bobs that are 3D printed, and for £5 each for figures in 7mm they are excellent value. https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/

And if you don't want to paint them, get Claudia to paint them for you at only £6 per figure, I've got a dozen or so with her at the moment.  https://www.cice.space/?lightbox=dataItem-ivqrldvt

A small layout demands detail, just as much as mine needs platforms!!!!! ;)

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jints, I have a list of the ones from Tower Models, (5.50 each ready painted), http://www.tower-models.com/  and almost ordered them last week, but I'll wait and see which track plan I end up with, so I can order them with the points and save the postage.

Like making Buildings, life is to short to sit and paint little people that will hardly be seen once inside a Cab, especially the 08.

• Like 2

So nice to able to do a bit of shunting, I'm a ways away from that but things are moving forward.  I finished weathering my 08 today.    http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127114-another-as-yet-unnamed-7mm-layout/page-3 Post #66

Most of my figures are ModelU with a smattering Montys Models, Heroes of the Footplate and Omni.  I paint my own as best I can.

John

Your Layout is coming on well John, and the weathered 08 looks superb, I like the ways your doing your Coal Loads as well, I must pop in and post on your site as well.

Thanks for the Post.

Nice to see you are expanding the layout Andy. This could be a worthy successor to Trebudoc. A couple of things one is sometimes a long siding is better than two short ones. Say you have room for a three foot long siding. Adding a turnout will give you two short ones 18 inches long. The capacity will be around 6 wagons either way. However if you have say the crane and the coal staithes along either the single siding or one of each of the two short ones. By adopting the principle that nothing comes in and then leaves by the next train you can have the situation on the single siding where to get to some wagons others have to be moved and then re-positioned adding to the moves.

The other thing is the position of baseboard joints can seem to constain the layout. For example using a 3ft 6in board I wanted 16in for headshunt which meant placing two turouts for the crossover one of them would have overhung the baseboard edge moving it back to make the join between them at the baseboard edge  lost some of the length of the run round loop. I found by sawing the turnout btween the crossing and the blades I could achieve a better result the only disadvantage being the need to provide the feed to the crossing via a baseboard connection. If you do that it is best to fix the turnout together with the boards joined then saw the turnout o it all aligns properly.

Donhe 

Morning Don, and thanks for the Post.

I am looking at doing a successor to ''T'',  but still retain the Inglenook Shunting Puzzle format, so needing at least two 3 x Wagon Sidings and a 5, which can be the Platform Road.

When I built Bitton, I built BIG BERTHA, the 20'' curved point over the board joint, then I cut it to separate the boards and it worked fine.

My next step is to get some Ply cut to the funny shaped Board and see which way up it fits into it's storage area, as the end will only take about 15 inches wide.

Edited by Andrew P

Wise words about painting people.. 

You made me click the link though, I like the new Dapol GWR coaches, oh and that Pannier.. And.. quick, close the page.

I have the Coaches, just need a 45XX Prairie Tank next like I had on Trebudoc.

post-9335-0-32269300-1521970596_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-09427200-1521970718_thumb.jpg

Pictures courtesy of Andy York.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 9

The top picture is a stonker and a 'like' isn't nearly enough. We need a 'splendudilous' button.  I thought it was the real thing. A fine shot from Andy Y and his G12.

I agree Larry, That pic is my Screen Saver on my Flip Fop.

It was fitted with SWD Sound and was lovely, 

I have three ESU Chips for re blowing that have come out of some ''OO'' Jubilees and 8F that I've sold recently, so I will have one done for either the 45XX or the 64XX, 

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/55334/7S-024-004-Dapol-64xx-Pannier-Tank-Steam-Locomotive-number-6439

http://www.tower-models.com/towermodels/ogauge/Dapol/dapolloco/45xx/index.htm

OR BOTH! :O  :nono: :sungum:  :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

Your Layout is coming on well John, and the weathered 08 looks superb, I like the ways your doing your Coal Loads as well, I must pop in and post on your site as well.

Thanks for the Post.

You are welcome to do so Andy.  I love your work.  I am pondering an exhibition layout using 4 spare 4 x 2 boards, one of which is a sector plate.  Trebudoc's track plan is very much on my mind.

John

I was able to give the Jinty and Pannier a bit of a workout at Tallylyn Junction this afternoon, but the time I have and am likely to have to spend on my own 0 gauge project made me finally face up to the fact it didn't stand a chance of going anywhere. So that leaves you, Jintyman and Focalplane still in the ring, so to speak. 

Cheers.

LG

Edited by coachmann

I was able to give the Jinty and Pannier a bit of a workout at Tallylyn Junction this afternoon, but the time I have and am likely to have to spend on my own 0 gauge project made me finally face up to the fact it didn't stand a chance of going anywhere. So that leaves you, Jintyman and Focalplane still in the ring, so to speak. 

Cheers.

LG

Wow Larry, what a bu**er, you must be gutted but I can understand your priorities and hope things get easier for you.

Hope that the OO stays and runs as required. 

All the best.

Wow Larry, what a bu**er, you must be gutted but I can understand your priorities and hope things get easier for you.

Hope that the OO stays and runs as required. 

All the best.

Thanks. You put it in a nutshell Andy. The whole 00 gauge layout is still extant even if i have nothing to run on it and so it is always there to operate, alter or whatever.

Edited by coachmann

Cheers.

LG

Larry

I join Andy (and I am sure David) in being dismayed at your decision re Gauge O.  Yes, we can carry the flag forward, but don't lose faith in Gauge O just yet.  Your Carrog buildings are magnificent and were created when you had the time to give them justice.  In many ways Gauge O offers a simpler way forward as Andy is proving right now with Pen y Bont.

Best wishes, Paul

PS  Andy, I am sure you don't mind the hi-jack?

• Like 3