8mm square hardwood strips

Fat Controller

I get a regular supply of scrap wood in large plastic sacks from a kitchen and furniture manufacturer in our village. The majority are offcuts and trial pieces, fit only for the fire; however, there are often pieces of square section, 150-200mm long, and 8mm square, which seem to be too good to use like that. Were they but half the cross section, then they'd be useful for things like coil supports for 4mm scale wagons.

Would these be of use to anyone, perhaps someone working in one of the larger scales? You could have them free, for the cost of the postage. It just seems a shame to 'waste' them.

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of wooden strips, I discovered a useful source of 11mm square x 60cm long 'garden stakes'. 6 in a pack for 99p in Poundstretchers. I suspect they won't be there out of the gardening season. (I checked and it's all tinsel & LED lights now) I bought some for garden purposes and then found that it is quite a nice quality wood and makes good braces for building corners, hidden roof timbers and scenic structures like bridges. The stakes have pointed ends, so if you want an obelisk for your town square - you have one ready made! Perhaps this should go into Bargain hunters thread.

• RMweb Gold

8mm square hardwood strips are very useful for jigs to aid all sorts of construction, trimmed, thinned and glued in various combinations they withstand a soldering iron quite well, so far I've used them for assembling lighting towers, laddering, covhop end slides, cross drilling .060" brass rod and all manner of other things.

I'd have some if it weren't for the logistics, but, if you're going to the Warley scrum??

Make sure you keep a few.

Mike.

Archived