Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

Continuing its long tradition of producing the latest streamlined high-speed trains, Hornby will release a Hitachi Class 800 bi-mode multiple unit in 2017. 

IEP.jpg

The OO gauge models will be released as the first full-size trains start to enter service with Great Western Railway (GWR) between London Paddington and Bristol. First to appear will be a GWR green five-car set (R3514) containing two Driving Trailer cars and three Motor second Open (MSO) vehicles. A limited edition pair of Driving Trailers in Hitachi test train livery (R3579) is also expected. 

IEP-2.jpg

IEP-4.jpg

No fewer than 122 IEP trains are being built to replace Inter-City 125 and Class 91+Mk 4 IC225 sets between now and 2020. GWR and Virgin Trains East Coast will take the majority of the fleet, but similar bi-mode trains have also been ordered by Hull Trains and Transpennine Express. VTEC will have a mix of bi-mode and AC electric sets, but all other trains will now be five or nine-car bi-mode EMUs with powerful underfloor diesel engines. 

Designated ‘Super Express Train’ (SET) by Hitachi, they are based on the company’s ‘A-Train’ concept and related to SouthEastern’s Class 395 ‘Javelin’ EMUs. They also share many components with Hitachi ‘Bullet Trains’ for Japanese railways. At 26 metres long, Class 800-802 cars are the first British passenger vehicles with bodyshells long than the previous 23m (75ft) ‘C3’ restriction. Hornby’s designers have been working with Hitachi since 2014 to develop a OO gauge model of the new train, which was revealed at the Warley NEC show on November 26. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The Great Western set will be lovely. Whilst I've been very critical of the IEP acquisition process I do think it is a good looking train and the GW livery is very attractive. Elegant, understated but attractive. Interesting they're selling it as a 5 car set too.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 1

Bump?

Not seen this thread before. Has Mr. York used his magic admin powers to hide it until just now? I think so.

Bump

Can I please be the first to say "hmph. Nothing in this model for me"? Really not interested in the real thing either (an age thing you see...) but that engineering drawing looks very impressive indeed.

Mind you, it might look very nice re-painted into IC Swallow livery...

Hornbys website is saying that there are only two of R3579 left? Does this mean they have virtually sold out?

Looks like they're now sold out

EDIT ​Still there to order

Edited by TFR

• RMweb Gold

Models of 26m stock running round train-set curves are likely to cause some interesting clearance issues with whatever might be running on the inner track.

John    

If you've got an APT-E and run that on your train-set curves and already carried modifications for that, It's a good bet this shouldn't cause any problems for the Class 800.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a no brainer, as its new, high speed and in GWR green. Its a pity they haven`t done a electrostar to go with it, which they could have also done for south of the thames.

They would have to do an unpowered version for Southern, as the operator is always suffering from industrial action!

Bit of a no brainer, as its new, high speed and in GWR green. Its a pity they haven`t done a electrostar to go with it, which they could have also done for south of the thames.

It's a pity they couldn't have done all the things on my wishlist, too. Still, let's not p1ss on everyone else's parade, shall we!

Given that even yesterday some people were stating their belief that Hornby would announce almost nothing today, I think it's a bloody good programme. And no, there's absolutely nothing there for me. And I really don't mind.

Paul

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Given the 20% or so devaluation of sterling relative to the dollar we've seen I think the price is where I'd expect it to be.

This should serve Hornby well as it'll become the standard inter city train for much of the UK for the next few decades. Get it right and the tooling could be a real cash cow for them.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, an ideal 'electric' train for running on lines without catenary - NR's gift to the model railway industry!

I'm sure the irony will not be lost on the good burghers of Bath, who will surely be happy to see the Hornby versions in the shops of that fair city, well before the real thing graces the railway through Bath Spa station.

Just had another thought, I think I might request a sample model and take it down to Dawlish and see how well it does during the occasional storm.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2

I suppose seeing these Hitachi trains coming in must be like seeing HSTs displace Deltics and Westerns. Some happy about the future, some seeing it as "wrong, just wrong" and most of the travelling public not caring about anything either way.

I suppose the only people who will really be able to objectively criticise these will be those who used to work building real trains or its model version.

I wonder if we can persuade the government to buy these for us and let us pay them back well below market price as a subsidised lease... (not meant to be political, just satire btw)

• Like 2