Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

I've mentioned this before in other threads etc, this is the reality we are now in. Manufacturers have to make money to survive. We all have a choice, we buy or we don't. If we don't buy then don't expect any future releases. I've pre ordered both packs, as a member of the collectors club i've used my 10% discount.

Edited by robf

You are free to wait if you like, but from what I've heard already, I think I'll go ahead and just pass judgement anyway.

The interiors might well end up as dreadful as the Class 700, but I will make my own mind up..

Completely agree. Me too!

I've mentioned this before in other threads etc, this is the reality we are now in. Manufacturers have to make money to survive. We all have a choice, we buy or we don't. If we don't buy then don't expect any future releases. I've pre ordered both packs, as a member of the collectors club i've used my 10% discount.

So we see Hornby firmly position this towards to the adult/collector market rather than the train set market. Maybe somehow there will be a 'railroad' version though for such a train that would historically have had a leaning towards the train set market with Hornby? Difficult to do maybe unless they drop the 5-pole all wheel drive for starters? Could we possibly see no train set version for what will be such an iconic front line train for many years to come? That would be a real break away from tradition for Hornby, without it is this its yet another close of the door to those youngsters in a hobby that's drifting towards the unaffordable to some. Maybe also a form of railroad version would suit the pockets of those modellers who just wont be able to face these kind of prices (or do they too increasingly face door of model railways being closed on them?).

Whilst most on this forum I would hazard a guess would position themselves at the more finer detail end of the market there is the wider market to consider also (especially going forward with increased affordability issues - only last week we hear more on incomes being squeezed).

• RMweb Premium

So we see Hornby firmly position this towards to the adult/collector market rather than the train set market. Maybe somehow there will be a 'railroad' version though for such a train that would historically have had a leaning towards the train set market with Hornby? Difficult to do maybe unless they drop the 5-pole all wheel drive for starters? Could we possibly see no train set version for what will be such an iconic front line train for many years to come? That would be a real break away from tradition for Hornby, without it is this its yet another close of the door to those youngsters in a hobby that's drifting towards the unaffordable to some. Maybe also a form of railroad version would suit the pockets of those modellers who just wont be able to face these kind of prices (or do they too increasingly face door of model railways being closed on them?).

Whilst most on this forum I would hazard a guess would position themselves at the more finer detail end of the market there is the wider market to consider also (especially going forward with increased affordability issues - only last week we hear more on incomes being squeezed).

I reckon somewhere along the line you'll get IEP light, a bit like the Blue Rapier set which is a derivative of the Javelin. Maybe in a few years. But hopefully they've learned their lesson of confusion between main range and Railroad. The Spec needs to be completely different , eg cheapo motor and plastic pantographs like the trainset 91s used to have. Crap for the enthusiast but keeps prices down so a trainset is viable .They need something for the young trainset market, unless of course, the bottom really has fallen out the market. They may also feel they have this catered with Pendelinos and Eurostars in the near term Edited by Legend

I reckon somewhere along the line you'll get IEP light, a bit like the Blue Rapier set which is a derivative of the Javelin. Maybe in a few years. But hopefully they've learned their lesson of confusion between main range and Railroad. The Spec needs to be completely different , eg cheapo motor and plastic pantographs like the trainset 91s used to have. Crap for the enthusiast but keeps prices down so a trainset is viable .They need something for the young trainset market, unless of course, the bottom really has fallen out the market. They may also feel they have this catered with Pendelinos and Eurostars in the near term

Yeah it will take sometime for the train to become iconic/in demand etc in train set terms so they have time to develop a railroad item (as you say if there is even such a 'youth' market anymore). Maybe they need a railroad type item not just for the young/train sets but also for those adults on tighter budgets as a whole? I know several adults who already just buy railroad items due to current costs, some will say you don't have to buy the highest quality items to still enjoy the hobby, each to their own.

Going forward in general maybe we will see an expansion of the railroad market as a whole but also ever higher demands for detail and quality for those who will and can pay almost any price (lets face it there seems to be a lot of these in modelling given the community is mostly made up of more mature age who have more cash on the hip than general society), possibly also seeing a clearer and growing distinction between the two product lines. Its going to be an interesting to see where model railways go. Time will tell...

• Like 1

That is rather nice, however, the mode will only represent 800004 up to last week when the new style fuel tanks were fitted which now extend out inline with the skirts.

The Hornby rep did make it clear that they are in regular contact with Hitachi to ensure Hornby get all the details and alterations correct on the model.

Now that is twice in two days I have said something nice about Hornby so I am off to lie in a darkened room!

The fact it is 2 o'clock in the morning has nothing to do with it.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

The Hornby rep did make it clear that they are in regular contact with Hitachi to ensure Hornby get all the details and alterations correct on the model.

I'm only picky because I maintain them. The rest of the model seems pretty good at first glance.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm only picky because I maintain them. The rest of the model seems pretty good at first glance.

Might be worth an email to Hornby just to check it's been noted, at least you'll have your answer and they'll know it's a reliable source.

Hoping someone can clear this for me, aren't the GWR Hitachi IEP Class 800's meant to be 5-car sets? And by 5-car sets I assume they mean 5 vehicles in total (2 power cars + 3 coaches). However the Hornby website shows the train pack with 2 power cars and 5 coaches, isn't that a 7-car set? Or have I made a thorough mess of all this?

Hoping someone can clear this for me, aren't the GWR Hitachi IEP Class 800's meant to be 5-car sets? And by 5-car sets I assume they mean 5 vehicles in total (2 power cars + 3 coaches). However the Hornby website shows the train pack with 2 power cars and 5 coaches, isn't that a 7-car set? Or have I made a thorough mess of all this?

I believe there are both 5 car (36) and 9 car (21) sets on order for GWR. This has the order details:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_800 

• RMweb Premium

I'm thinking perhaps they meant 5 in total and it's just written wrong. As a small aside to this, as a 5 car set they say this is their biggest train pack yet, however they released 2 6 car Eurostar train packs between 2004-2010.

Edited by Hilux5972

They are 5 and 9 coach sets with the 5 coach sets consisting of 2 driving coaches and 3 powered intermediate coaches, and the 9 coach sets have 2 driving coaches, 5 powered intermediate coaches and 2 unpowered intermediate coaches.

None of the driving coaches are powered and some of the intermediate coaches on the 9 coach sets are also unpowered.

It does take a bit of getting used to.

Edited by royaloak

Is Hornby likely to issue a 9-coach set in the foreseeable future?

Ask them!

It probably depends on how well the 5 coach one sells, they might do a 5 coach one (with the numbers of a 9 coach one) and have additional coaches available separately.

• RMweb Gold

Ask them!

It probably depends on how well the 5 coach one sells, they might do a 5 coach one (with the numbers of a 9 coach one) and have additional coaches available separately.

That's a good question. Realistically,how many of us have a layout that could accommodate a full 9 car set ?

.Therein may lie your answer.

Realistically,how many of us have a layout that could accommodate a full 9 car set ?

.Therein may lie your answer.

Not yet but the first wood has been purchased today.

14ft by 12ft room and a 40ft long garden with a very large garage at the bottom.

That reminds me I must get some more overtime in!

• Like 1

Ask them!

Hornby did that with the Javelin (6-car) and the Pendolino (9-car – long before 11 cars were thought of). Very nice trains (apart from the rubber tyres).

• RMweb Gold

A full 9-car set will be about 10 ft long*. Chasing that into a Radius 1 curve will look absolutely ridiculous, as the front will be out well before the rear even gets close to the curve :rolleyes:

So the question pertains: who has room on his layout to do justice to a full length train? :dontknow:

*doing the maths for you: each car is 26m. Divide by 76 for the scale, and you're close enough to 14". Times 9, and you've passed the 10' mark :yes:

<pedantry>

Well, the maths works out at 9 x 26000 / (76.2 x 25.4) = 120.9", i.e. just under 10' 1".

Modern RTR stuff doesn't run on radius 1 curves.

</pedantry>

If you're going to run trains that long, are you really going to use radius 1 to 4 curves? The minimum radius on my garden layout is 3' 6", which works out at just over radius 11 (radius 1 is 371 mm., add 10 x 67 mm. separation for 1041 mm = 41")

I like running long trains; that's what a garden railway is for.

They are 5 and 9 coach sets with the 5 coach sets consisting of 2 driving coaches and 3 powered intermediate coaches, and the 9 coach sets have 2 driving coaches, 5 powered intermediate coaches and 2 unpowered intermediate coaches.

None of the driving coaches are powered and some of the intermediate coaches on the 9 coach sets are also unpowered.

It does take a bit of getting used to.

Thanks!