National Collection in Miniature Dean Goods Class No 2516

LocomotionatShildon

• RMweb Gold

Surely, the reason that the LNER struggled financially was because what was the strongest constituent before grouping—the NER—served an area which suffered badly from before the time of the General Strike until the start of WW2. Therefore it was unable to make up for the weaker constituents such as the GER, GCR and NBR.

I doubt that Gresley's antipathy to standardisation had much effect. In any case he may have been making a virtue of necessity—the LNER didn't have enough money to engage in large-scale loco replacement for most of its existence (and *parts* were standardised even though locos weren't). The SR also paid dividends throughout its existence— despite having Bulleid as C.M.E. later on.

The only small-wheeled three cylinder freight locos on the LNER were the O2s, which were pretty much confined to the ex-GNR lines. The K3s weren't small wheeled.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think making wooden coaches was the LNERs problem, after all they owned two sources of teak plantations in Burma, which British Railways inherited in 1948.

The NER had plans for electrification, and built EE1 in 1921 for the purpose of York -Newcastle and maybe Edinburgh services, in this instance it would appear Gresley took the easy route and stuck with steam, but that EE1 survived 29years unused until 1950, but not as a preserved loco, suggests some people thought it's future potential was greater.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What have the last few posts about the LNER got to do with the GWR Dean Goods? I love how quickly and easily people get off topic.

The location of both the models promoter and the prototype LNER locos being discussed have a lot in common :-)

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

The location of both the models promoter and the prototype LNER locos being discussed have a lot in common :-)

The link was the significant improvement in the performance of certain Great Western classes that R.A. Smeddle, with his NER/LNER background (following in his father's footsteps), was able to make by the introduction of high temperature superheating and improved exhaust (double blastpipes/chimneys). However, the classes involved were the four-cylinder Castles and Kings, not the humble Dean Goods!

• RMweb Gold

The link was the significant improvement in the performance of certain Great Western classes that R.A. Smeddle, with his NER/LNER background (following in his father's footsteps), was able to make by the introduction of high temperature superheating and improved exhaust (double blastpipes/chimneys). However, the classes involved were the four-cylinder Castles and Kings, not the humble Dean Goods!

Pardon?  

Swindon fitted its first 4 row superheater to a 'Castle' in 1947 while the first one on a 'King was fitted in early 1948 and a programme to fit the entire class with them was initiated in 1949 - i.e. during the Hawksworth regime at Swindon.   The improvements in draughting on various classes including the move to double chimneys was largely down to the work of Sam Ell who was in charge of the Testing Section in Swindon Drawing Office and at work in these areas already during Hawksworth's regime although he really got underway with his controlled road testing approach in the early 1950s.  There are even some hints that the decision to fit double chimneys was delayed by the interference of the Railway Executive and authority only came forth after abolition of that body - and that was after Smeddle's arrival at Swindon of course.

• RMweb Premium

Pardon?  

Swindon fitted its first 4 row superheater to a 'Castle' in 1947 while the first one on a 'King was fitted in early 1948 and a programme to fit the entire class with them was initiated in 1949 - i.e. during the Hawksworth regime at Swindon.   The improvements in draughting on various classes including the move to double chimneys was largely down to the work of Sam Ell who was in charge of the Testing Section in Swindon Drawing Office and at work in these areas already during Hawksworth's regime although he really got underway with his controlled road testing approach in the early 1950s.  There are even some hints that the decision to fit double chimneys was delayed by the interference of the Railway Executive and authority only came forth after abolition of that body - and that was after Smeddle's arrival at Swindon of course.

Happy to stand corrected. I'd always understood that Smeddle got the credit. Continues to have nothing to do with the Dean Goods!

EDIT: on reflection, I think I may have got the idea of Smeddle being responsible from one of O.S. Nock's books - so doubtful authority. However, steamindex cites Roland Bond along the similar lines but saying 'pressing on with' rather than 'originating'.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

Much as I admire your tenacity in retrieving the ball from the long grass,I do believe Hilux has a point :jester:

Thanks I was trying :-)

Unfortunately I doubt this will be the last time a thread drifts off topic.

Indeed if it were, forums worldwide would cease to exist through staleness and dull content.

I for one am not over inspired by Deans goods class, but the last dozen posts have been the most interesting to read in this topic, at least since the knives were withdrawn over the quality /accuracy of the samples.

Edited by adb968008

I don't think making wooden coaches was the LNERs problem, after all they owned two sources of teak plantations in Burma, which British Railways inherited in 1948.

The NER had plans for electrification, and built EE1 in 1921 for the purpose of York -Newcastle and maybe Edinburgh services, in this instance it would appear Gresley took the easy route and stuck with steam, but that EE1 survived 29years unused until 1950, but not as a preserved loco, suggests some people thought it's future potential was greater.

It was. If the NER had been kept separate much akin to the GWR being kept the same at grouping, then I think development in the North East would have been much greater. As it was it had to subsidise the other operations that were bolted onto it, and Gresley while wonderful merely got on with designing express engines and some freight machines so make up for the fact that the NER engines were superior for freight and adequate for passenger operation. While some bigger express engines would have been needed soon there after, it would have been interesting if things had gone electric.

Meanwhile, for those wanting that Dean Goods link. Don't forget your Hornby Q6 to act as banker...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know the well served GWR lot twist on about a few rivets yet us North Eastern modellers just have the constant disappointment of getting no new models. Manufacturers take note! Stuff the GWR lot us North eastern modellers would be far more grateful. I include my Scottish friends in that statement they get overlooked as well

Haha absolutely! Only place to be in this gorgeous country of ours!

Hi

I agree, having explored from 90 mile beach to Stewart Island in January/February this year South Island is the place to go. Mount Cook is wonderful, great walks and the blue of the lake has to be seen to be believed.  However the Forgotten World Highway from 30A on North Island will never be forgotten by us, stuck behind 2000 sheep for 45 minutes!

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

It has taken me some while to realise that Locomotion has commissioned a Dean Goods.  Having made do with the Airfix/Mainline offering for many years, I am really pleased that an updated version is being made available.

The positive points are many; the 2017 mechanism, from the reviews I have seen, is light years away from the noisy, unreliable one which I have: the plastic "bearings" have to be oiled regularly, and the wheels and motion are far more to scale in appearance on Oxford's chassis.  Also the cab interior is very much better.  

Even though I converted the Airfix/Mainline tender to Ultrascale wheels and fitted pickups, managing to retain the whole geardrive, my 2516 still needs very frequent wheel cleaning, and the (practically) zero-inertia mechanism makes for somewhat stuttery running even on my feedback controllers (which can handle just about everything).  I am really looking forward to having something that runs properly.

Having said all that, I hope the detail issues raised by several contributors will not be too much of a handicap. The firebox crease looks all too obvious even on the latest Locomotion pictures, and I certainly can't find any evidence of this in any of my GWR books, which show several Dean Goods locos between the 1930s and 1950s.  I can't imagine why Oxford modelled it like that.  The cab height appears to have varied over the lifetime of these locos, so I don't worry too much about that.  The washout plugs have clearly been put in the wrong place on 2309, but it looks as if these may be slightly better on 2516. 

I've decided that perhaps these threads put me off purchasing a locomotive when actually it's not a bad representation and it's all we are going to realistically get.   I didn't buy the Oxford Radial at first but it's the only one in Maunsell Green and it's a good price for a reasonable model.  Same will for the Dean Goods, the NRM one will be a bit more but will be a good model with the NRM changes - I may or may not buy one of these but I will leave the decision to the emotional one of 'does it look nice and is it worth the money' over where the washout plugs are, the cab shape or whatever else is not quite right.

Life's too short and maybe I should be modelling over worrying about minutiae.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I wasn't at Warley but Locomotion Models answerphone is saying Late December/Early January for this, the Stirling Single and Evening Star. "All subject to change"

HTH

Evening star (both of them) were on the Bachmann stand at Warley.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know what make/model of DCC decoders will be supplied in the Locomotion Dean Goods "with sound"?

And is there any info about the sound project that will be supplied?

(I had a search around but couldn't find anything.)

Edit: The Oxford website says about their model:

"The Dean Goods is DCC Sound fitted and comes with a ESU LoksoundV4.0 decoder, speaker and sound chamber. Sound supplied by Coastal DCC"

So can we assume this same configuration will appear in the Locomotion model?

Edited by Harlequin

I wasn't at Warley but Locomotion Models answerphone is saying Late December/Early January for this, the Stirling Single and Evening Star. "All subject to change"

HTH

Their latest Newsletter has the Single due March, still subject to confirmation; Dean Goods February; Evening Star 66 April and 9F July.

• 1 month later...

Their latest Newsletter has the Single due March, still subject to confirmation; Dean Goods February; Evening Star 66 April and 9F July

The Website update now has the first of the Dean Goods being despatched commencing 26/1/18.

• Like 1