Focalplane's Workbench (mostly 7mm)

Focalplane

First "small" job completed.  It concerns my pride of place Lee Marsh Jubilee 45688 Polyphemus.  One of the very vulnerable cylinder cocks' piping had been knocked off.  I had previously glued it back on with CA glue but this proved to be inadequate.

Therefore solder was called into play.  I approached the problem with some trepidation but decided it was "now or never".

First I scraped off the remaining glue, then carefully drilled three holes out with a 0.6mm bit.  A very small application of liquid flux and and a hot iron (350º) and a small amount of solder and the thin wires were in place, a sharp tug proving that the solder had taken on all three applications:

post-20733-0-27530800-1508673468_thumb.jpg

Then a dab of black paint, and as good as new:

post-20733-0-70660100-1508673487_thumb.jpg

This fitting really is "fine scale".  I bet the wire used is even thinner than material that might or might not be present on a 2mm scale model!

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 6

A bit of a trying day.  We spent 1-1/2 hours at John Lewis in Solihull getting an faulty item exchanged (we did not have the receipt to hand).  After that a trying 180º circumnavigation of Birmingham round to Dudley to pick up the first 6 baseboard kits for Penmaenpool from Grainge and Hodder.  Be warned, the M5 at West Brom is in for major repairs, plus there was a broken down truck in one of the two remaining southbound lanes.  We arrived at Grainge and Hodder just in time to pick up the kits and I think they gave us more bits than we actually should have been given.  The kits look good and I think will be fit for purpose.  The workshop is a typical Black Country affair (so says the Brummie!) with old Land Rovers etc. in the driveway.  Last time I was in the area I was picking up a wrecked Jaguar XK 140 as spare parts.  The area hasn't changed much since 1977.  But thank goodness the West Midlands still makes things and the local people have such good humour.

Driving through Dudley I couldn't help but think of one of the more recent classic Black Country jokes:

A driver stopped by a canal bridge and asked the local:

"Is there a B&Q in Wolverhampton?"

To which the local replied:

"I dunno but there's two Ds in Dudley!"

Personally I prefer the good old Enoch and Ayli jokes but can never remember more than one at a time.  If you really want to hear one, ask.  But you may regret it.

I plan to dry assemble a couple of baseboards tomorrow.  Stay tuned.

Oh, yes, I also played Robert Plant's latest album while on the M5, just to keep the traffic moving.  Local boy dun good and all that!

• Like 4

Well, I have not yet begun to assemble the baseboards, but I have ordered some pattern makers' dowels which will fit into the pre-cut baseboard end and sides.  Also two spring loaded catches to join the first two 1200 x 800 mm modules together.

Because we were held up on the M5 I was not able to discuss a laser cutting project I have in mind for the concrete platform supports:

http://www.archive-images.co.uk/gallery/Archive-Colour-Images-of-Caernarvonshire-Railways/image/6/Penmaenpool_Railway_Station_c1970

I am going to need a lot of them and it may be that they can be used by other 7mm modellers as well.

I need to draw up an accurate "go by" scaled from photos and taking into account the materials I will use for the bolster and the boards the bolster supports.  The back guard rail post would be included and laser cutting can preform the four holes for railing (top) and wires.

I went to B&Q (not the one in Wolverhampton!) and asked about cork sheeting or tiles.  They apparently don't sell it any more as there is a world wide shortage of cork.  They don't even sell cork notice boards!

I went to B&Q (not the one in Wolverhampton!) and asked about cork sheeting or tiles.  They apparently don't sell it any more as there is a world wide shortage of cork.  They don't even sell cork notice boards!

Well that`s a new one..!!

When i`ve used them in the past i`ve always gone to Wickes for them ;

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Sealed-Cork-Floor-Tile-305-x-305mm-Pack-9/p/620950

They`ve usually got them in stock,but if not can get them...

Brian.

Edited by Tove

• RMweb Premium

Well, I have not yet begun to assemble the baseboards, but I have ordered some pattern makers' dowels which will fit into the pre-cut baseboard end and sides. Also two spring loaded catches to join the first two 1200 x 800 mm modules together.

Because we were held up on the M5 I was not able to discuss a laser cutting project I have in mind for the concrete platform supports:

http://www.archive-images.co.uk/gallery/Archive-Colour-Images-of-Caernarvonshire-Railways/image/6/Penmaenpool_Railway_Station_c1970

I am going to need a lot of them and it may be that they can be used by other 7mm modellers as well.

I need to draw up an accurate "go by" scaled from photos and taking into account the materials I will use for the bolster and the boards the bolster supports. The back guard rail post would be included and laser cutting can preform the four holes for railing (top) and wires.

I went to B&Q (not the one in Wolverhampton!) and asked about cork sheeting or tiles. They apparently don't sell it any more as there is a world wide shortage of cork. They don't even sell cork notice boards!

Hi Paul

Wish you would have said earlier. I'm just back from a week away in Madeira and there were cork products in every tourist tat shop.

Jesting aside, I had similar problems finding cork tiles in the DIY sheds. Even the old faithful Wickes had none. Bought the ones I needed for Pencarrow from eBay in the end. They were fine and worked out about £1 to £1.50 a square foot for 4mm thick depending upon how many you buy.

Typical product...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F310843222860

This looks like a good supplier, thank you.  I will give them a call and then order some thicker sheets (3/16" is probably best for 7mm scale)

I have just dry assembled one 1200 x 400 mm baseboard.  The fit is good and tight and the added pieces for joining boards together will work fine with the metal pattern makers' dowels.  C&L had sold me some of these for Shipston-on-Stour but they are currently out of stock with the new owner.  I ordered mine from here.

Paul

I have mentioned that Grainge and Hodder make a nice product.  However, parts are needed in order to assemble the baseboards.  These include:

1. White woodwork glue and tacks to assemble the modules, together with a mallet or hammer and G clamps.
  2. Metal pattern makers dowels with a 25mm diameter base to accurately register baseboard connections.
  3. Wooden dowels that are a tight fit in a 6mm drill hole - these are not for accurate registering, as noted by Miss Prism above, but to maintain initial fitting together of modules prior to adding:
  4. 6mm (M6) bolts, nuts and washers to firmly connect baseboards (in my case joining two 400mm wide units lengthways to form a 1200 x 800mm module).
  5. Spring loaded catches to lock modules together where they need to be quickly assembled/dissembled.  This will be at the ends of modules.

Hopefully I will be assembling at least two side by side units before leaving for Wales.

• RMweb Gold

Paul - I think Geoff Taylor produced some of those on his own laser cutter in 4mm scale for his Penmaenpool layout. I know he sells a range of window etches and the like, so it might be worth asking if he could do some in 7mm scale for you.

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall

Re. my shopping list - I forgot to buy the all important wood glue so no progress today.  I did buy the other bits and pieces for the baseboards though.

And, I have sent Geoff Taylor a PM, thanks for the suggestion, Dan

Paul

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 1

I bought the glue recommended by Simond above at Huws Gray in Porthmadog yesterday.  No chance to try it out yet as I have managed to get sick and assembling anything at the moment is out of the question.

The cork sheet has also arrived - free shipping from Charles Cantrill.

Meanwhile the loco and stock cases are in limbo.  The company closes down soon but they tell me I will get the order soon.  No doubt after I have left the country?

“Meanwhile the loco and stock cases are in limbo. The company closes down soon but they tell me I will get the order soon. “

Presuming we’re talking Parkwood here. I too ordered another stock box. I imagine everyone did. They’ll probably finish the order backlog and finally retire in 2021 as multimillionaires!

(And good luck, I hope they do!)

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1

Yesterday I stopped at Dapol's shop in Chirk and returned a lighting strip.  This has been an ongoing saga since I received a four coach Birmingham Division "B Set" earlier this year.  One of the LEDs in a Brake 3rd coach had failed.  So I contacted Dapol and they sent me a replacement, except it was for a Composite coach.  I brought this up while at Telford and they immediately organized a replacement Brake 3rd strip which I collected before returning to France in September.  This worked, so now I had a Composite light strip and decided it should be returned when next in the neighbourhood.  Which I did, and then obtained (for free) a replacement buffer for one that had broken, as well as buying some blackened couplers and a 5 plank wagon with corrugated end and tarpaulin bar.  So this could be called a win win deal.

They have some of the prototype new Dapol locomotives on display and they look very nice.  Too bad I have already built or bought the same prototypes already.

I encouraged the lady in charge of the shop to bring out more Gauge O stuff and she admitted that management were very focussed on Gauge O.  Which is great.  Send in your wish lists!

• Like 1

“Meanwhile the loco and stock cases are in limbo. The company closes down soon but they tell me I will get the order soon. “

Presuming we’re talking Parkwood here. I too ordered another stock box. I imagine everyone did. They’ll probably finish the order backlog and finally retire in 2021 as multimillionaires!

(And good luck, I hope they do!)

Best

Simon

And, it arrived, an 8-coach stock box. Thoroughly wrapped, two cardboard boxes, and a whole bin-liner full of bubble wrap! In perfect condition, however, so no complaints there. The handles, on the other hand, could not be assembled because they hadn’t been properly tapped. It was a matter of a couple of minutes with an M4 tap to sort it out, but might have been a problem for modellers who don’t have such tools. As the handles were bagged, I suspect they must have been supplied that way. Shame Parkwood are retiring, good products, nicely made.

I think filling that will take a year or two (but will be a cracking train!)

Best

Simon

• Like 1

My two TC510s arrived this afternoon but the 6 shelf case will have to be shipped to France as it wasn’t ready in time. Since shipping is free it won’t cost me more though I did order it in early September!

The products are indeed excellent and will be sorely missed. However, there is a chance that Bill Peters may review the situation down the road and make more cases. Fingers crossed! He told me he will probably continue to attend shows but not with a stand.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With planning for Penmaenpool on hold until the house sale is completed, I have reverted to the workbench. This evening’s project has been to add MagClic swing couplers to one end each of a Collett B set for the Barmouth-Dolgelley local. Replacing the Dapol couplers was not difficult. The MagClic shaft is thicker so needs some working in to free it up. Once installed the two coaches come together and the magnets spring up and connect. Disconnecting requires a sharp pull to break the magnetic bond. When disconnected the magnets swing down out of the way.

Connected:

post-20733-0-73927700-1511729505_thumb.jpeg

Disconnected:

post-20733-0-14052300-1511729575_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Paul, Have you figured out how to fit the Tail Lamp yet? And should there be 2 in the pack, I only had 1, so will need to find a way of swapping it to tother end?

No Andy, my tail lamp (one only) wouldn't fit easily so I boxed the coaches until the NewYear.  If there was one on each end they would need to be directional which doesn't seem to be an option.

Paul