Focalplane's Workbench (mostly 7mm)

Focalplane

It will be interesting to see how you get on with the Warren Sheppard all brass GWR 'Manor' kit.

Looking at the kit's etches my first question will be "can you please roll the boiler and firebox?"  The frame appears to be fully compensated which is good.  Also, some parts are described as "pressings" rather than castings.  A technique used a lot in the jewellery trade but in my experience rarely in kits.

As always I will need an actual prototype.  It should preferably be an Oswestry loco but any Cambrian Manor would be fine.  Foxcote Manor would seem more than appropriate!

Looking at the kit's etches my first question will be "can you please roll the boiler and firebox?"  The frame appears to be fully compensated which is good.  Also, some parts are described as "pressings" rather than castings.  A technique used a lot in the jewellery trade but in my experience rarely in kits.

As always I will need an actual prototype.  It should preferably be an Oswestry loco but any Cambrian Manor would be fine.  Foxcote Manor would seem more than appropriate!

I had spotted the flat etch boiler and firebox on the website. Does the kit maker offer to roll and bend these parts for customers? 

I have been relaxing after a few hectic days of soldering, etc. and while searching the interweb I remembered that the American company MTH (Mike's Train House) has a limited range of Gauge O coaches, basically several Stanier LMS Period III diagrams.  Prices are quite reasonable (or they were when the pound was "over-valued") for a rake of four in one of three liveries - LMS maroon, BR crimson/cream and BR maroon.  The coaches are also sold individually or in twos.

I did a search for reviews on the Gauge O Gazette and was positively surprised by two comments:

1.  The dimensions are reasonably accurate in 1:48 scale

2.  The coaches will negotiate 21" curves (though actually only if pulled and not pushed)

Made of ABS plastic I am sure they don't have the crispness of a brass etched coach but I hope to see examples at Bristol at the end of January.  Maybe I could have a rake of 14 Midlander coaches before I expire?

More research on the MTH Stanier coaches has produced a German review.  I don't understand German but the link is worth examining for the photos.

These show the inevitable thick ABS plastic walls and therefore recessed window glass.  Also the water tank piping appears to be missing.  And there is a gap between roof and body showing at the coach end.

But the basic look of the coach is OK and they could be modified quite easily to correct some of the deficiencies.  The coaches also have lighting strips installed with pickups from the bogie wheels.  But in looking at MTH's catalogues it seems that the four coach set is actually made up of two FOs and two BFOs.  At least that what appears when the various links are followed.  No third class?  A link to MTH's online catalogue confirms this and what is worse, for me, is that the two diagrams* are already covered by Sidelines and I have purchased them both.

So it looks like this chapter can be closed but I thought the information is worth sharing.

(*Actually the First Opens are slightly different) 

I haven't bothered looking up the prices of the plastic corridor firsts and brake firsts, nor do I know if etched sides are available on thier own, so I suppose it is pointless me saying the best way of improving their appearance is to fit etched sides. Another factor is, how many people can use all-first's anyway. The regulator box is of a type fitted to Period I and II stock, not Period III, therefore it only appeared on coaches that were rebuilt with Stanier sides (D1704A and D1720A).

Still on the subject of coaches, I just reserved what I hope is the maroon version of Dapol's autocoach which should appear on the shelves in mid-2017.  This will be paired with the Modern Outline Kits 14XX to replicate the Gobowen Rattler.

But as always, a misunderstanding has crept in.  Tower Models show older photos (from Lionheart) on their site, including a non-prototypical crimson and cream version.  Apparently Dapol are planning on five variants, four of which will be chocolate and cream and one crimson.  This latter variant cannot be correct, it should be maroon.  Tower Models have not been able to get any news from Dapol but tend to agree with me that Dapol's crimson should in fact be maroon.  So that is what I have ordered.  Maybe I can get some assurance at Bristol in January (or I could call at the factory in Chirk if they are open when I drive by).

Paul, sorry to disagree but I think Dapol's B.R. version in crimson may be correct.  AFAIK, under the 1949 livery specs 'mainline' stock was to be painted in crimson (sometimes referred to as "carmine") and cream - more commonly "blood & custard".  Suburban stock and NPCS was to be in plain crimson - although, as always, there were exceptions.  "Maroon" (the darker shade similar to LMS "crimson lake") was only introduced in 1956 by which time most of the early ex railmotor trailers such as the Dapol/Lionheart model had been, or were in the process of being withdrawn. IIRC the last one was withdrawn in 1957 so I would think it highly unlikely that the expense of a repaint into maroon would be justified. Hope this helps but, as always, I'm happy to be proved wrong!

Cheers,

Ray.

Paul, sorry to disagree but I think Dapol's B.R. version in crimson may be correct.  AFAIK, under the 1949 livery specs 'mainline' stock was to be painted in crimson (sometimes referred to as "carmine") and cream - more commonly "blood & custard".  Suburban stock and NPCS was to be in plain crimson - although, as always, there were exceptions.  "Maroon" (the darker shade similar to LMS "crimson lake") was only introduced in 1956 by which time most of the early ex railmotor trailers such as the Dapol/Lionheart model had been, or were in the process of being withdrawn. IIRC the last one was withdrawn in 1957 so I would think it highly unlikely that the expense of a repaint into maroon would be justified. Hope this helps but, as always, I'm happy to be proved wrong!

Cheers,

Ray.

Ray

I appreciate your comment a lot because it has become really confusing.  And it is not helped by my own memory of taking the Gobowen Rattler during the timeframe 1955 to 1958, right when these changes came about.  On many occasions it was dark when I rode the train.  And black and white photos don't really help except that in no case that I have seen have there been two tone paint schemes (carmine/cream or chocolate/cream).  Then there is also the question of how clean the coaches might have been!

This latter point may be more relevant than I had realized, because I really don't recall the colours of the Birmingham Suburban sets used out of Snow Hill and Moor Street on the Stratford via Henley line.  Dirty red might be an appropriate definition!

But thanks to your contribution I shall be more ready to talk to Dapol at Bristol.

A coach would have a 'life' before the next garage and attention to paintwork would take place. When BR Maroon, which was intended to resemble LMS crimson lake, came in during 1956, coaches that were marked down for withdrawal shortly, possible 2 years hence,  would most likely be varnished during 1956-8 to keep them going. The GWR Auto trailers were not entitled to Crimson & Cream in the first place and when this was pointed at to the W.Region, no more were painted in this livery after 1952-ish. These coaches got unlined BR crimson (blood) when due. So obviously Dapol has it right on thier elderly wood panelled Auto Trailer. 

Although not related, an interesting aspect of the 1949-56 livery saga was LNWR corridor coaches more often than not ended up with a single colour repaint under BR. It appeared to have been unlined crimson (blood), the same as applied to non-corridor stock. To counter this, the late John Fozard showed me a photo of a blood & custard LNWR 'Toplight' running on the E.Region.

Edited by coachmann

I feel I am getting somewhere - many thanks to all!  Perhaps weathered crimson is the way to go?

Off on the road tomorrow morning for a couple of days.  The Compound is in the car as is a subset of tools, so there will be something to do over the Season's holidays.

• Like 1

The coaches are having a rest, waiting on my return with paint and renewed vigour.

Meanwhile, I just arrived in England after a leisurely drive (cruise control on 110kph) via Tours and the Caen-Portsmouth ferry.  Then I hit the British roads and discovered that several of them were closed for overnight repairs.  I kept seeing signs saying this junction or that junction was closed, including various options on the A34 and M4.  I ended up at Didcot at 11 pm following a procession of artics through about 2,000 Oxfordshire villages with ridiculous names on narrow, poorly maintained "A" roads.  OK, enough moaning, I did finally arrive home well after midnight and this morning started to unload the modelling tools and the box containing the David Andrews LMS Compound.

I then went to the post office to collect another David Andrews kit, for the Castle (prototype 5070 Sir Daniel Gooch, as painted by Philip Hawkins on his Snow Hill Saturday masterpiece) but it turns out David never got my email saying when to mail the parcel, so I should now receive the box on Tuesday.  We had a good chat.  David will be at Bristol but as a visitor, not an exhibitor.

The Castle's tapered boiler is pre-rolled but not the firebox.  I think I will cope with the latter having already achieved good results on the Connoisseur kits.  But I will be buying some rolling bars to make this job easier and better formed.

Unfortunately, Christmas may present problems for modelling progress, but I also brought enough wine and food with me to allow that to not be too disappointing.

• Like 2

I have restarted work on the LMS Compound after quite a long break. So the first part of the job was to try to work out exactly where I left off on the loco chassis. Looking at the half finished brake system I realized that I really needed to think about the plunger pickups first. It does seem that many kit instructions fail to mention when the pickups should be fitted as these are considered to be a choice of the builder. I have learned that it is at least important to ream out the pre-etched holes to fit the plunger pickup housing. It is also a very good idea to follow Jim McGeown's tips for cleaning out the plunger housing to guarantee a good friction-free spring fit against the wheel tyres.

Here is the chassis, minus wheels:

post-20733-0-31701200-1482011858_thumb.jpg

There are three pickup holes on each side (the black plastic housings are inserted in them), two on the front axle, one on the rear. The forward front driving wheel plunger interferes with the inside (non-working) motion so the valve rods were filed back to allow the housings to be fitted. Likewise it is a tight fit for the rearward housing on the front driving axle. It would be quite difficult to do all this fitting after the brake system and the wheels are fitted.

The next job will be to wire up the plungers to wires and fix the housing with CA glue. The plungers will have to be masked during painting.

I have enough plunger pickups to add extra ones to the front and rear tender wheels. As the chassis on this model is not compensated that may be necessary.

Edited to correct information on plunger housings.

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 3

Looking neat with the added inside motion. A far cry from the white metal Compounds in one of my 1970's magazine articles! The biggest thought-provoker with these 4-4-0's is to prevent it hunting. Bachmann mastered that nicely on their 4mm model. 

That would have been the Gem kit.  I bought one but never finished it and it was then lost in an overseas job transfer.  I did complete the Gem simple 4P 4-4-0 (the 999 class), it used a Triang chassis and XO4 motor; it was not a great performer.

With family for dinner today I was not able to do a lot of modelling but the plunger pickups are now installed and the next job will be to finish the brake shoes and rodding.  At this point I may move on to the footplate so that the fit of the motor and gearbox can be confirmed.  The motor gearbox combination is by MSC and consists of a Canon motor and a 30:1 helical gearbox.  It is a beautiful gearbox, very smooth running.

post-20733-0-62830200-1482100084_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Some progress with the Compound's footplate and cab today (as well as introducing my 9 year old grand daughter to her first Airfix kit, a rather exciting turn of events, she seems to be hooked).

The Compound's footplate is in three parts but not difficult to put together.  I did not anneal the brass etches and the results are probably as good as if I had.  The key, as with all footplates, is to keep everything square.  A strengthening plate is included to aid this, now removed so that the frame can be tested for clearance.

First, just the body with the cab etch formed and attached.  The etch was bent into shape again without annealing,

post-20733-0-34965800-1482169804_thumb.jpg

Two views of the footplate fit on the frames:

post-20733-0-54146600-1482170003_thumb.jpg

post-20733-0-66090600-1482170028_thumb.jpg

Next, according to the instructions, will be the front splashers and then the firebox.

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 6

We worked up an appetite today by walking across Porthmadog's Cob in a strong offshore breeze, alongside the Ffestiniog Railway. This, of course, had me thiinking about modelling narrow gauge but I think I can resist the temptation for now.

Yesterday i opened a new box and completed all the rivet pressing required on my latest model, the David Andrews Patriot. Quite a few rivets, particularly on the rear of the tender where they are very close together. My eyesight was sorely strained.

The Compound has not been put to one side, it was sinply that getting out all the tools for soldering, etc. was not possible. I think I will carry on with fettling brass castings, etc.

Edited typos

Edited by Focalplane

Some progress on th Compound's body over Christmas as the photo reveals.

post-20733-0-64022200-1483024410_thumb.jpg

The smokebox took a while to fit with a lot of fettling. I still have to drill out the mudholes, etc.

Then the boiler and smokebox were soldered up. David Andrews supplies both already rolled and the inserts are clearly labelled, with the smiley face fitting at the front of the smokebox.

The etched wrap for the smokebox was a relatively easy piece to add, or perhaps I am getting a bit more experienced at it (the 14XX was a lot more trying).

The key thing to watch is that the boiler and smokebox are soldered straight and true and that when soldered to the footplate everything sits just right.

post-20733-0-65468800-1483024557_thumb.jpg

post-20733-0-17838700-1483024581_thumb.jpg

• Like 3