Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

Gaugemaster DCC80 frog juicer

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 danic19

danic19

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 14:11

P.s I have 6 of them and all of them do this but on the odd occasion they do change instantly and cause no power disruptions.

Dan

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#27 298

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,450 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:54

P.s I have 6 of them and all of them do this but on the odd occasion they do change instantly and cause no power disruptions.
Dan

Is the frog still wired to the switch rails? I once spent a weekend fighting a layout that was fine (!) on DC but kept getting momentary shorts on DCC because the switch rails and additional microswitches were both doing the same thing but not necessarily at the same time.

#28 danic19

danic19

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 20:31

Hi yeah the wires between the switch rails and frogs have been cut on all points.
Thanks for the help though

#29 298

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,450 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:59

Hi yeah the wires between the switch rails and frogs have been cut on all points.
Thanks for the help though

Hi Dan,

Following on from that, are the switch rails wired to the stock rails (as in post 19) and the hinges clean...? If the contact isn't sufficiently reliable then the juicer won't detect a short and change polarity, and the loco stalls with all pickup wheels on rails of the same polarity.

#30 danic19

danic19

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 16:32

Hi Dan,

Following on from that, are the switch rails wired to the stock rails (as in post 19) and the hinges clean...? If the contact isn't sufficiently reliable then the juicer won't detect a short and change polarity, and the loco stalls with all pickup wheels on rails of the same polarity.

Hi 

i have just been and checked everything, anything that needed cleaned has been cleaned and the problem is still there. I was wondering would the distance from the place where the power is taken from the track make a difference.

#31 The Bigbee Line

The Bigbee Line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationWatton

Posted 12 August 2017 - 20:12

If you want people to help you resolve your difficulty you must give all the information regarding wiring etc.  Make a diagram of the track, show all insulated joiners and all feeds, plus how each DCC80 is connected to the track.

• Agree x 2

#32 298

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,450 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 21:32

Hi 
i have just been and checked everything, anything that needed cleaned has been cleaned and the problem is still there. I was wondering would the distance from the place where the power is taken from the track make a difference.

If it's over a scale couple of miles, then yes. Otherwise I'd be bench testing a DCC80 on a spare but identical turnout with a short section of track on each end.
  • Agree x 1

#33 Mallard60022

Mallard60022

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,841 posts
  • Location36E most of the time, 36A some of the time and Seaton Junction part of the time.

Posted 12 August 2017 - 22:02

I have started using DCC80s and I wish I had found them ages ago. Brilliant piece of kit.

Can't help with any 'problems' people may have as I have yet to experience any. Sorry.

Phil