GWR Narrow Gauge Point Drawings - Peter Kazer
Small Suppliers Forum
Baseboards for Rugged Terrain - Peter Tatlow
The Ultimate 4mm K3 - Tom Mallard
The Maunsell 58ft Rebuilt Coach - Philip Hall
Letters
Diary

Let the seriousness commence!

(Edited because it's Canada Street, not Canada Road. You really can't get the staff these days)

• RMweb Gold

Just for the record, Canada Street is unbelievably good. To quote from the text, there is not going to be any "assuming it is invited" to exhibitions about it. I suspect Peter Johnson will be fighting off invitations with a stick.

(Quick sanity check - was that serious enough?)

(Edited - Canada Street, not Canada Road)

• RMweb Premium

I have seen Canada Road a couple of times at shows and the quality of the modelling is just stunning. the most recent time was at Hull show a couple of weeks ago. I was there all weekend and able to spend a deal of time looking at it and it is one of those layouts where each time you look you see something that you didn't spot before. It will be interesting to see how well it photographs when I get my copy but photos are a good way of being able to search out all the little gems that you may miss on a short viewing at a show.

I am glad to see that the 2 thread MRJ approach is carrying on. I think it works well.

• RMweb Gold

It will be interesting to see how well it photographs when I get my copy but photos are a good way of being able to search out all the little gems that you may miss on a short viewing at a show.

I am glad to see that the 2 thread MRJ approach is carrying on. I think it works well.

I think it photographs wonderfully - look at the top photograph on page 293 when your copy arrives. It's one of those "that must be the prototype" moments.

There's even a track plan (yes, I know that's verging on the not-quite-serious)

• RMweb Gold

I read the whole Canada Street article last night and took such pleasure from it and the accompanying photos. It is just stunningly well done.

Another key piece for me was the article by Philip Hall on the Hornby L&SWR coaches, some really subtle treatment of already excellent RTR.

I haven't yet really tackled the Tom Mallard piece yet, his work is just so good as to be actually intimidating.

The Small Suppliers forum had one item of interest, in that I hadn't realised that the Brassmasters Easichas for the Bachmann Midland 1F had only just come out, for some reason I thought it had been out for some time.

The photo of the 2mm 64XX was also pretty impressive.

A non-nonsense comment from Richard Chown in one of his letters, to the effect that exhibitors are there to entertain the public, so just 'get on with it'. Strong words, and clearly correct on one level.

I was aware of Not Jeremy's plans for a continental-themed show in Bradford-on-Avon, but wasn't aware that it will be in 2018, and not next year. So will this be in lieu of LarkRail for that year, Simon?

I have seen Canada Road a couple of times at shows and the quality of the modelling is just stunning. the most recent time was at Hull show a couple of weeks ago. I was there all weekend and able to spend a deal of time looking at it and it is one of those layouts where each time you look you see something that you didn't spot before. It will be interesting to see how well it photographs when I get my copy but photos are a good way of being able to search out all the little gems that you may miss on a short viewing at a show.

Can confirm that it will be at the Wakefield Model Railway Show Nov 2017. I saw it at York couple of years ago and it looked and operated great.

I loved the article on Canada Street, the industrial architectural modelling is superb, but could someone tell me how the uncoupling is done on the layout. Never having seen it one would believe on a shunting layout there is coupling and uncoupling but, unless I've missed it, it wasn't mentioned in the article. I ask because the high buildings, particularly in the dock area, would make the hand of God shunting difficult and if done from the front quite intrusive for the viewer.

• RMweb Premium

Canada Road used 3-link/screw couplings (magnetic lower link, IIRC).

So, on the assumption that Canada Street uses the same stock...  (I say assumption, I'm 99% certain it's the same stock - many of the em70s group share stock and certainly their layouts that I've seen/helped operate were all 3-link/screw coupled)

'tis a bloody nice layout, no question about that!

As for keeping the public entertained at exhibitions, I think the context of the show itself might also be a factor - at a ma, pa & urchins show then yes, keep the trains running (even if demonstrably way beyond line capacity or prototypicalness). At a 'scale' show, where the attendees will probably have a higher level of knowledge, I'd sooner see a layout operated prototypically, especially with regard to things like signally capacity, line speed and the rule book.

Canada Road used 3-link/screw couplings (magnetic lower link, IIRC).

So, on the assumption that Canada Street uses the same stock...  (I say assumption, I'm 99% certain it's the same stock - many of the em70s group share stock and certainly their layouts that I've seen/helped operate were all 3-link/screw coupled)

'tis a bloody nice layout, no question about that!

As for keeping the public entertained at exhibitions, I think the context of the show itself might also be a factor - at a ma, pa & urchins show then yes, keep the trains running (even if demonstrably way beyond line capacity or prototypicalness). At a 'scale' show, where the attendees will probably have a higher level of knowledge, I'd sooner see a layout operated prototypically, especially with regard to things like signally capacity, line speed and the rule book.

My experience is that not just mater, pater and sprogs who demand a continual steam of trains. Many so called "modellers" want the same but they often do not appreciate or recognise the effort that goes into creating a detailed model. Conversely, they would soon complain about a lack of "background".

Yes, it is different at the finescale shows, but how many of us actually know about prototypical operation for models of railways depicting a scene fifty, sixty or one hunded years ago? How many layout, unless modelled on a particular location are sufficiently accurate to the locality, company or period for correct operation?

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it is different at the finescale shows, but how many of us actually know about prototypical operation for models of railways depicting a scene fifty, sixty or one hunded years ago? 

Well, we'll just have to rely on the wisdom of Bob Essery I suppose.

• RMweb Gold

How many layout, unless modelled on a particular location are sufficiently accurate to the locality, company or period for correct operation?

Well, I suppose that comes under the heading of 'research', but 'operations' has long been a somewhat neglected part of this hobby. If you have sufficient information, photos etc., you can reproduce exactly the pattern of rust and weathering on your authentically-painted pagoda shelter, but who knows whether the little goods yard just up the line was served by the pick-up goods in just the Up direction only? **

** Edit - Bob Essery might have written about it somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

Canada Street will be at the Stafford Exhibition on 4th & 5th February 2017 along with a number of other EM & P4 layouts.

Full information of Layouts and Traders attending can be found on our website www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.uk/exhb

I will be posting updates of our exhibition now that Warley is over for another year following the Manchester exhibition.

I will be on the Stafford Railway Circle club stand at Manchester or operating Crimson Road a club Members layout.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

… and one train per day in each direction...

(Hat, coat etc etc…)  :jester:

Archived