MRJ 251 - Contents Only Thread

Zero Gravitas

• RMweb Gold

Well, we'll just have to rely on the wisdom of Bob Essery I suppose.

There are plenty of people around who remember how things were operated 50 years ago, including me unfortunately; I was actually operating them 45 years ago!  My impression of things 50 years ago was that they had not changed radically apart from the stock in the previous 50 years, so that takes care of 100 years ago.  150 years ago is another matter, I concede; we are now getting beyond the accepted steam age 'modern' methods of signalling, automatic brakes, and telephones.

• RMweb Gold

There are plenty of people around who remember how things were operated 50 years ago, including me unfortunately; I was actually operating them 45 years ago!  My impression of things 50 years ago was that they had not changed radically apart from the stock in the previous 50 years, so that takes care of 100 years ago.  150 years ago is another matter, I concede; we are now getting beyond the accepted steam age 'modern' methods of signalling, automatic brakes, and telephones.

Incredibly, 50 years ago is still after the end of steam on the Western Region!

If the walls on my house were transparent then where I'm sat right now woul, fifty years ago, give me a grandstand view of the south end of a still-busy Kingmoor shed, the WCML, Southern approaches to Kingmoor Yard and the (admittedly dieselised but no less interesting for it) Waverley Route and its own connections to the Yard. Beat that lot! :-)

Dave.

If the walls on my house were transparent then where I'm sat right now woul, fifty years ago, give me a grandstand view of the south end of a still-busy Kingmoor shed, the WCML, Southern approaches to Kingmoor Yard and the (admittedly dieselised but no less interesting for it) Waverley Route and its own connections to the Yard. Beat that lot! :-)

Dave.

Is there a prize for the person who gets closest to pin-pointing your house on a map?  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Dave.

Should we perhaps be glad, however, that the walls of your house aren't actually transparent? Mind you, if you watch George Clarke, that's no guarantee!

• RMweb Gold

I don't recall seeing steam on the Central section of the Southern either!

Stop making me feel old - I can remember doing a shed on the Central Section of the SR which that day actually boasted as many engines of Pre-Grouping build present as there were of any later period,  not to mention a shed on the South Eastern section (after Kent Coast electrification had been completed) where every engine present or nearby were all of Pre-Group build.  And yes - actually built Pre-Group - not just designed back then, and all were in everyday traffic.  However in both cases I was still in my teenage years.

• RMweb Premium

Stop making me feel old - I can remember doing a shed on the Central Section of the SR which that day actually boasted as many engines of Pre-Grouping build present as there were of any later period,  not to mention a shed on the South Eastern section (after Kent Coast electrification had been completed) where every engine present or nearby were all of Pre-Group build.  And yes - actually built Pre-Group - not just designed back then, and all were in everyday traffic.  However in both cases I was still in my teenage years.

Steam had gone from my local shed before I got to double figure, the only steam I got to see after that was when me dad took me to London (Vic) by train and there was a loco outside the suburban side carriage shed, usually for the Arrow.

• RMweb Gold

OK, well here's a serious question, which I was going to put on the 252 thread, but not to worry.

When one's subscription with Cygnet is due for renewal, can anyone confirm that it is normal practice to put the renewal slip in with the last issue that your previous subscription payment has covered, please?

Many thanks.

That's the way mine have always arrived.

Likewise. As I pay by cheque (is there any other way?) I also write the Issue numbers on the cheque stub, as a double check.

I nearly said "Did you see what I did there?" but didn't want to be accused of sausages.

• RMweb Premium

OK, well here's a serious question, which I was going to put on the 252 thread, but not to worry.

When one's subscription with Cygnet is due for renewal, can anyone confirm that it is normal practice to put the renewal slip in with the last issue that your previous subscription payment has covered, please?

Many thanks.

Yes. I think the cover label also notes the last issue covered by your subscription.

Archived