Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

Thanks Mike

You mean like this:

37969089104_7fe4778fbd_c.jpg

Sir William Stanier / City of Lancaster

I had thought the so called 'streamline' version on my old Lancaster was rather chunky!

It really does suggest to me that often our RTR models move sideways in quality!

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to note that this months RM reviews 46256. The reviewer had Andy's problem removing the tender body, contacted Hornby and was told by them that the third lug (the big one that hooks up the cast tender ballast weight) shouldn't be there and is only present on 'early production models'. RM reviewer snipped it off with no reported ill effects. Useful article in the same mag covering detailing and weathering 46256. 

By any stretch of the imagination, Hornby did well with the latest Duchesses.  For very little outlay, they managed to lay before buyers some loco that looked upgraded and well worth snapping up, and threw in the two Ivatt versions to spread the cost across a potential 38 different locos.  Improving their GWR/BR green is surely the next smart move...

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

By any stretch of the imagination, Hornby did well with the latest Duchesses. For very little outlay, they managed to lay before buyers some loco that looked upgraded and well worth snapping up, and threw in the two Ivatt versions to spread the cost across a potential 38 different locos. Improving their GWR/BR green is surely the next smart move...

I don’t think it was a small outlay... the toolings look too different.. little things like the lubricator box levers are at different angles between the two toolings.. which would be an odd one to retool to point to different angles for no benefit

but other items are sharper and more refined than the previous... they look very close but there are lots of differences on the body, most of them are refinements enhancing what the previous one looked like, which means from a side by side view they look the same.

The chassis of course is different.

Edited by adb968008

There is really isn't any comparison.

.. they look very close but there are lots of differences on the body, ..

24814393418_988222d09c_c.jpg
Sir William Stanier / City of Lancaster

Slightly amused to hear that RM have a review of the model presumably to allow purchasers to make an informed judgement before they buy off eBay?

Ray

• Like 3

Just as soon as Brassmasters rock up with an Easychas for this baby I'll be well happy! :-)

Nice comparative shot, Ray; the devil is indeed in the details!

D4

Might be sooner than we realise with their new Duchess kit on the way.

I like to read MR reviews so that I know whether or not to like what I’ve just bought. :jester:

RM was lucky to get one without any quality control issues apart from the three lugs on the tender. Perhaps Hornby should send advanced samples to the railway magazines so they can review the models before they become generally available.

• RMweb Gold

RM was lucky to get one without any quality control issues apart from the three lugs on the tender. Perhaps Hornby should send advanced samples to the railway magazines so they can review the models before they become generally available.

Which is what they ceased to do a few years ago....just ask Chris Leigh all about that issue,he buys his own..Exception appears to be Hornby Magazine

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Which is what they ceased to do a few years ago....just ask Chris Leigh all about that issue,he buys his own..Exception appears to be Hornby Magazine

RM state at the end of their review that the model was supplied by Hornby. Doesn't say whether it was submitted for review or simply bought direct though. Although struggling to remove the tender body they did contact the manufacturer rather than assault it with the nearest flat bladed implement!

• Like 1

I heard from a friend who contacted them that Brassmasters have stated there is "no chance" (the words used) of an EasyChas for this Hornby loco - presumably because of their plans to release a full hifi kit themselves.

Stan

Just as soon as Brassmasters rock up with an Easychas for this baby I'll be well happy! :-)

Nice comparative shot, Ray; the devil is indeed in the details! 

D4

• RMweb Gold

I heard from a friend who contacted them that Brassmasters have stated there is "no chance" (the words used) of an EasyChas for this Hornby loco - presumably because of their plans to release a full hifi kit themselves.

Stan

I’m surprised they didn’t do something similar to the black five detailing kit for the previous Duchess. An etch for the front frames and a section to block out the daylight behind the cylinders when viewed from the side would really lift the model.

Re the comment about Brassmasters doing an EasyChas for the Duchess, the reason there is “ no chance” has nothing to do with the forthcoming Duchess kit, as a kit and and an EasyChas are entirely separate, the EasyChas has to be made to fit the RTR loco which may be separate from a kit. The programme for EasyChas is separate from the full kits and each EasyChas takes about 18months to develop, with the G2 having recently been delivered. If every request for an EasyChas was produced it would take about 20 years! Other development work will also impact, so unless you see a definite notice from Brassmasters about a development it’s not happening!

• RMweb Gold

So the "RARE" version with three lugs will command higher prices on E bay! especially if the additional lug has not been snipped off. :)

I can just see it now from a certain seller "RARE Hornby, Kit Built Sir Wlliam Stanier"  :scratchhead:

Hornby has produced at least one blue streamliner, Princess Alice, from around 2004

Hornby have done 4 of the 5 original blue streamliners since the introduction of the scale length loco driven model. The only one not done is Queen Mary which was available years ago in the short tender drive version.

Hornby have done 4 of the 5 original blue streamliners since the introduction of the scale length loco driven model. The only one not done is Queen Mary which was available years ago in the short tender drive version.

They could also produce 6229 Duchess of Hamilton in blue, if they wished, to make it 6 blue ones. (From when they did swapsies and there was a red 6220 and a blue 6229)