Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Gold

Please forgive me for adding a modicum of sanity but I have just noticed that the Railway Correspondence and Travel Society has published The Stanier Pacifics by John Jennison. Including postage: £30·50 to non-members. Paul Isles, brace yourself!

http://www.rcts.org.uk/shop/publications/lmspacifics.htm

Just received my copy.........it is brilliant!!.........only one drawback for the modeler, which 10 days in any given year equates to the model you see in front of you!!! :scared:   the permutations and the frequency of changes of detail are endless. I think I will remain a 1959 trainspotter and try to get things as right as possible in that year..

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just received my copy.........it is brilliant!!.........only one drawback for the modeler, which 10 days in any given year equates to the model you see in front of you!!! :scared:   the permutations and the frequency of changes of detail are endless. I think I will remain a 1959 trainspotter and try to get things as right as possible in that year..

Mike

You need 'From Bridges to Big 'Uns' by Peter Coster now. Another £27.95 you wont regret spending :)

• RMweb Gold

You need 'From Bridges to Big 'Uns' by Peter Coster now. Another £27.95 you wont regret spending :)

Thanks Mike,

I should be the Worlds greatest expert on Stanier's Pacifics, I've got so many books on them!! :declare: Another one coming up then :imsohappy: . I just love these engines.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Rgds.......Mike

• RMweb Gold

Duly ordered!!!

Mike

• Like 1

Well that didn't take long.

R3553 Duchess of Atholl is now on the Rails 'Bargain' list at £149.50.    :scratchhead:

Not surprised.

I would think the early single chimney Duchess would have very limited appeal and would see very limited use on layouts compared to the later versions which span a load of years and are still remembered by many.

Good quality layouts that accurately portray the era of the earlier Stanier pacifics must be very thin on the ground and as they need to be representative of a part of the WCML they also need to be spacious with no tight radii.

The bulk of the Atholls have probably gone to loco Collectors and will probably never run but spend their pristine existence in a glass case looking nothing like a working loco and more like an expensive toy. 

Dave.

Edited by vitalspark

• RMweb Premium

Well well. I wasn't expecting it yet, but personally I'm pleased to see the streamlined version of the Princess Coronation being announced for 2018 ahead of new versions of the rebuilds. It will also give time for the first releases to sell, rather than announce more versions immediately which people then wait for rather than buying the current versions. Caledonian Blue 6221 is my first pre-order for 2018 from any manufacturer.

Well well. I wasn't expecting it yet, but personally I'm pleased to see the streamlined version of the Princess Coronation being announced for 2018 ahead of new versions of the rebuilds. It will also give time for the first releases to sell, rather than announce more versions immediately which people then wait for rather than buying the current versions. Caledonian Blue 6221 is my first pre-order for 2018 from any manufacturer.

While I model/collect LMS 1930's stuff, I thought the previous stream-liner was "good enough". I don't understand the continued calls to "re-do" a current model, just because there are things to nit-pick; there always will be. I would much rather efforts were put into creating something that hasn't been previously modelled. I bought the new LMS Duchess, but only because that particular one hadn't been done before. It may be ever so slightly better than the previous models, but not enough to warrant replacing my existing models if Hornby should start re-covering the same models previously produced. in this vein I will have a 6244, 'cos I haven't got one. I won't buy 6221, 'cos I have one, and if 6229 had been done in blue I would have had one of those; as it is this will be the 3rd red incarnation of this model. (matt, shiny, new tooling)

Edited by daltonparva

While I model/collect LMS 1930's stuff, I thought the previous stream-liner was "good enough". I don't understand the continued calls to "re-do" a current model, just because there are things to nit-pick; there always will be. I would much rather efforts were put into creating something that hasn't been previously modelled. I bought the new LMS Duchess, but only because that particular one hadn't been done before. It may be ever so slightly better than the previous models, but not enough to warrant replacing my existing models if Hornby should start re-covering the same models previously produced. in this vein I will have a 6244, 'cos I haven't got one. I won't buy 6221, 'cos I have one, and if 6229 had been done in blue I would have had one of those; as it is this will be the 3rd red incarnation of this model. (matt, shiny, new tooling)

It may be easier for them to retool the Coronation to fit the new chassis than using the old tools.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we've had a Streamliner for about 10 years apart from a couple of Train Packs.

Jason

It may be easier for them to retool the Coronation to fit the new chassis than using the old tools.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we've had a Streamliner for about 10 years apart from a couple of Train Packs.

Jason

It was only a few years ago with a rerun of Duchess Of Hamilton.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Duchess of Hamilton in Maroon has now sold out at Locomotion, with 46256 gone too, I suspect the prices of these are going to inflate exponentially given theres no new one in 2018.

I think MN's will do the same thing, I was holding onto a 35028 all summer, just in case, thinking i'd do a renumber unless they made a new one in 2018,.. looks like that renumber is on the cards.

Edited by adb968008

But that was in a Limited Edition pack. Only a few years ago was 2012. Six years ago!

There hasn't been a main range streamliner since 2006 according to Ramsey's which was Duchess Of Norfolk.

Jason

Internet search throws up three separate releases of a streamlined Duchess of Hamilton:

R2689

R3101

R3339

It would appear the latter 2 were main range releases, with the former an NRM special.

Internet search throws up three separate releases of a streamlined Duchess of Hamilton:

R2689

R3101

R3339

It would appear the latter 2 were main range releases, with the former an NRM special.

According to Ramsay's (Pat Hammond).

R2689 NRM Limited Edition released 2008

R3101 NRM Limited Edition released 2012

R3339 not in the book. But looking at it is NRM Limited Edition with Gloss Finish. 

http://www.hattons.co.uk/175366/Hornby_R3339_Class_8P_4_6_2_Streamlined_Coronation_6229_Duchess_of_Hamilton_in_LMS_crimson_la/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

• RMweb Premium

There was a Glossy Duchess of Hamilton last year as I was tempted to sell my Duchess of Gloucester to get the gloss red one, but didn’t in the end. They may not have been out for a few years but there does seem to be a few of them around on eBay

Shiny or not, I'm surprised that there are no stripey coaches announced to go with them.

If the new locos sell well the coaches may come later, but I fear the loco's won't do too well, as I have said before, I don't think they can be such an improvement on the previous ones to make people (certainly me) want to spend £150 just for a slight upgrade. If they haven't been produced before I'll have them, if they are "re-runs", I won't.

• Like 1