Revolution receives Gwyn Humphreys Award for Innovation at Warley

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

This morning Revolution Trains was presented with the 2016 Gwyn Humphreys Award for Innovation.

The certificate recognised our success in being the first - and so far only - company to successfully bring a crowdfunded RTR model to market, namely the TEA tanker.

The presentation was made by Pete Waterman, and we were given a shiny trophy that Mike and I can fight over later!

post-420-0-28779000-1480264486_thumb.jpg

We would like to thank the judging committee Trevor Webster, Les Richardson, Geoff Warren, Alf Hodgkin, Simon Richardson, Jim Ross and Bob Lockey for selecting us.

And of course a special thank-you to the late Gwyn Humphrey, in whose memory the award is made.

Cheers

Ben A.

Congratulations gentleman, you may not have an order from my (yet) but you have my respect as serious, considerate and innovative model railway producers.

The way you guys conduct yourselves in the face of temptation is an inspiration.

Oh and if you want to produce a OO 92 and blown up versions of your N products that "yet" will turn into firm money changing hands.

Congratulations on the award gentlemen - the produce you had on show at Warley was certainly worthy of such merit.

As an aside; it's great to see Gwyn Humphreys being remembered. In the very early days of the n-gauge (or was it n-gauge-modern?) Yahoo group he took a lot of time to help me out when I was getting started, even spending sometime talking through things over the phone. Scarily it's probably coming up for almost 20 years now. Is any of his stuff still online? I seem to recall he had an old Geocities site.

Pix

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pix,

Yes, I well remember Gwyn's contributions to the group when he was still with us, though I never met him.

I am delighted to read how generous he was with his time and advice to help you out.

Les or other members of the Newark group may have more details about any of Gwyn's work being available to view online.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Pix,

Yes, I well remember Gwyn's contributions to the group when he was still with us, though I never met him.

I am delighted to read how generous he was with his time and advice to help you out.

Les or other members of the Newark group may have more details about any of Gwyn's work being available to view online.

Cheers

Ben A.

If there is any, we've yet to find it.  Rise Park (on RMWeb) was started quite some time after he died, indeed so was its predecessor Farndon Road II, which replaced the original Farndon Road not all that long after Gwyn's death.  I have no idea if either of the Farndon Road layouts still exist.

One thing of Gwyn's that did make it onto RMWeb was his test track, which formed the boards on which Furtwangen Ost was built, and some of the track was reused also.  One of the locos on No Place (I forget which one but it is one of the Hornby J94s) has a decoder which was recovered from an Atlas loco Gwyn chipped for me, the loco having suffered a motor failure a few years later which proved terminal.

The trophy at Warley came about as the Newark group (at that time a fully functioning N Gauge Society Area Group) were passed the donations from Gwyn's funeral for use by the group.  We felt the money would be better spent on some kind of memorial.   We originally thought of commissioning a memorial wagon but weren't able to find a Welsh stone wagon of a type Dapol made - we hadn't enough to commission a larger Farish run. The family didn't want a coal wagon so the idea of a trophy was hit upon.  We offered the trophy first to the NGS, who turned it down on the grounds that there were "too many trophies at the AGM already".  Consequently Warley club was approached and they came up with the idea of the Innovation award.

First recipients were Dapol for the N-gauge close couplings.  Others have been Bachmann for Dynamis, Brant Hickman for portability in an exhibition layout, KK Eshindo for T Gauge, the 2mm Association for drop-in wheelsets, Hornby for Elite, Romily Methodist club for a large number of small innovations on Gillan and Brown, Dave Jones for using RMWeb in model development and MERG for pocket money kits.  That list isn't exhaustive.  Each year the trophy gets more difficult to award, and the crystal ball doesn't yet see a clear cut commercial winner next year.

However for the next two years we are at Warley with layouts (Whatton Parva in 2017 and Hawthorn Dene in 2018).  That should give us time on Saturday to trawl the layouts and demonstrations to find something a bit different and special - we have all been to enough shows to spot different ideas.  Perhaps the next award won't be commercial.........

All the very best

Les

• 2 weeks later...

Archived