Colas locomotive 37099 named ‘Merl Evans 1947 – 2016’

Andy Y

• 4 months later...

That's interesting Jim. I wonder when 099 picked up cp7 bogies. Never had them in its original BR service period.

I seem to recall hearing when SB bought it for preservation it was bought with a good set of bogies which were swapped after sale by Transrail with a knackered pair. When the "error" was flagged a comparable set of bogies was provided and the bogies swapped at Winchcombe (there was a photo in traction at the time and video footage on "The Gotherington Growler" video) so it potentially gained the CP7's then, although Jim's post is the first time I had heard it was on CP7s.

I seem to recall hearing when SB bought it for preservation it was bought with a good set of bogies which were swapped after sale by Transrail with a knackered pair. When the "error" was flagged a comparable set of bogies was provided and the bogies swapped at Winchcombe (there was a photo in traction at the time and video footage on "The Gotherington Growler" video) so it potentially gained the CP7's then, although Jim's post is the first time I had heard it was on CP7s.

The plot thickens. I did wonder if 37418 had come into the equation somewhere. But maybe not.

Next time we see SB, we will ask!

Assuming then Jim. Just for completeness. That 099 was limited to 80 as well?

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

Don't take it for granted from me it's on a certain type of bogie, as far as I'm concerned as long as it's got 12 round wheels and a sticker telling me how fast it can go that's all I need to know, I wouldn't know the difference between a cp7 a cp9 or a c3p0

I do know that the bogies under 099 aren't the ones it had when it went into barrow hill with the knackered engine but yes 099 was an 80 mph machine before it went pop

Edited by big jim

I am so looking forward to buying this locomotive, not just because its named Merl Evens (even though its a fitting tribute to this man), but because as a kid I simply loved the look of this loco. Iconic and recognisable and one that definitely stood out from the crowd.

The livery is very fitting as well.

Bachmann have updated delivery dates the website and all of the new class 37's including 37099 are now showing as May/June next year.

Thanks for that heads up. I have updated our pre order website accordingly. http://www.c37lg.co.uk/shop_item.aspx?category=models&item=2722 For those of you that have placed an order for 37099 or 37049, you should have received an email notifying you of the date change.

Cheers!

Martin.

Let's hope they don't decide to bin it.

In spite of it's worthy tribute, such a small time scale wouldn't make a very marketable model I'd think .

why should it be binned? All it needs (according to above posts) is a replacement power unit and bogies. Both are easily swappable components. Its not like there is structural damage or electrical rewiring... Plus it was ex-preservation, has (I believe) functioning vac brakes and steam heat, so would be a bit harsh to scrap it, especially given its connection to Bachmann.

Business is business - if it’s not earning its keep is a redundant asset!

But Business is NOT entirely business re 37099 - why was the vacuum brake system and steam-head systems retained/overhauled to enable it to operate on heritage lines? Not part of the Colas business, but as a tribute to the loco and its namesake it seems

But Business is NOT entirely business re 37099 - why was the vacuum brake system and steam-head systems retained/overhauled to enable it to operate on heritage lines? Not part of the Colas business, but as a tribute to the loco and its namesake it seems

Steam Boiler no longer operational and hasn't been for some years. Its more fuss than its worth to replace the boiler with a weight (the boiler can do this job quite well) and remove the vac brake system - 37099 got the work required to make it mainline usable and nothing more.

A bit of extra metal bolted to either side doesn't make it any less susceptible to withdrawal. A tribute it may be but that doesn't stand in the way of business.

Edited by DavidM