Colas locomotive 37099 named ‘Merl Evans 1947 – 2016’

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

whilst i don't know what work was done to it after it left the gwr.....i had to keep both compressors running last time i drove it on the gwr just to keep the air up on it, and it did have a number of wiring issues....it was in the condition expected of a non refurbished 37.....37s have been withdrawn with less but reinstated with more issues..

Edited by pheaton

• RMweb Gold

I had no issues with it the few times I've driven it other than there was an air leak from the compressor end of the loco, almost as if the safety valve was blowing off but the compressor wasn't running continually and was kicking in and out fine, persevered with it for the start of the evening as I couldn't see anything abvious and once I changed ends early in the job I was DBSO leading the rest of the night

Turned out it was just the small air pipe to the rear of the wiper on the 2nd mans side had blown off so was venting to atmosphere, small enough not to lose a significant amount of air but enough to be bl**dy annoying for the short time I was in the cab!

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning everyone

The Colas livery really suits the class 37 and thought I would post a couple of photographs of 37099 that I have re-sprayed myself.

The donor loco was a very cheap purchase on Ebay (£52.00) for City of Worcester which I fully stripped and modified the ends to match the noses on Merl. The plates are from Shawplan and the decals from Railtec, which are superb.

I posted photos on this website under layouts, mine being Parkway along with several other re-sprays I have completed.

Regards

John

post-6270-0-95837900-1510564269_thumb.jpgpost-6270-0-61912900-1510564281_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Good morning everyone

The Colas livery really suits the class 37 and thought I would post a couple of photographs of 37099 that I have re-sprayed myself.

The donor loco was a very cheap purchase on Ebay (£52.00) for City of Worcester which I fully stripped and modified the ends to match the noses on Merl. The plates are from Shawplan and the decals from Railtec, which are superb.

I posted photos on this website under layouts, mine being Parkway along with several other re-sprays I have completed.

Regards

John

attachicon.gifIMG_4375.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4376.JPG

Great re-paint - looks very good indeed - especially the repositioned and also working headlights  :good:

Edited by tractor_37260

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Noticed this on a well known railway forum the other day.

37 099 is going to receive an overhauled power unit ex 37 045 done in house very soon,the pu is in the workshop once twin tanks and new wheelset is fitted it will be fitted.

Cheers,

Mick

Noticed this on a well known railway forum the other day.

37 099 is going to receive an overhauled power unit ex 37 045 done in house very soon,the pu is in the workshop once twin tanks and new wheelset is fitted it will be fitted.

Cheers,

Mick

No surprise re converting it to twin tank, I doubt Colas have much use for steam heat. I wonder if the boiler will be coming out as well?

Along with your other two new toys Jim!

Can't wait to see 521 in its new coat of colours. Another new bodyshell opportunity for the COLAS collectors!!

Hmmm I see on another forum that Colas have allegedly sold their 3 47's to GBRF . . . . These extra 37's to bridge the gap?!?!

• RMweb Gold

No surprise re converting it to twin tank, I doubt Colas have much use for steam heat. I wonder if the boiler will be coming out as well?

The boiler....although complete and operational was never certified for use, but removing it requires installation of "the dance floor" to make up for the missing weight, likely they will leave it in situ as it's not a trivial job.... If the coil is still ok, and they can stand up to a lot of abuse its worth quite a tidy sum the boiler....the boiler reinstated in 37248 recently was in a far more demic condition having stood on the floor out of a loco for over 10 years although it's got modern control systems it's fundamentally exactly the same boiler.

Edited by pheaton

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks to wnxxforum. From Harry Needle:

its got a new engine and subject to final connection and static test procedures it will enter the world of IM sometime in January.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks to wnxxforum. From Harry Needle:

its got a new engine and subject to final connection and static test procedures it will enter the world of IM sometime in January.

Cheers,

Mick

37045s engine in it I believe?