Cardiff (Small) Model Railway Show 2017

br2975

The Cardiff (Small) Model Railway Show 2017

With a trade presence by Lord & Butler, Cardiff Model Rail Centre, Penarth Road, Cardiff..

Saturday 21st. January, 2017  10:00am – 4:30pm

Scout Association Headquarters, Fields Park Road, Pontcanna, Cardiff CF11 9HX

Admission £3.50p adults. Under 14s Free

Ample free parking
( I am informed that the adjacent car park is 'pay and display' on Monday to Friday, but not on weekends )

Public Transport – several Cardiff Bus services stop outside ‘The Halfway’ public house, Cathedral Road which is less than five minutes walk to the venue.

In cooperation with Messrs Lord & Butler,  several local modellers have agreed to exhibit their layouts in a one day show where all proceeds will be donated to local charities.

Further information will be published shortly, but  some of the exhibits and demonstrations so far offered include.........

Rosamund Street (Low Level) Sidings
Brian Rolley
Early 1970s dingy urban goods yard inhabited by a handful of wagons and a diesel shunter or two, which is operated using a card system, based upon the ‘Inglenook’ principle
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88144-rosamund-street-low-level-sidings/

Wales, rails and steel
Marc Smith
Beatifully modelled 4mm scale ‘00’ South Wales steel works setting with thunder, lightning and rain effects.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/21148-my-new-project-south-wales-steelworks/page-1

Sheep Lane
Rob Gunstone
4mm scale ‘00’ overgrown sidings somewhere off the Somerset & Dorset Joint, in its’ dying days, which features some fine examples of weathering..
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94613-western-diversion/

Trevanna Dries
Wayne Crowley
4mm scale ‘EM’ china clay dries somewhere in Cornwall, and which can be operated in several eras including ‘Speedlink’ and early privatisation.

Penny Lane
Joshua Lovell
A 4mm scale '00' work in progress, and featuring a night setting . An EWS depot with a wagon repair depot servicing mainly steel wagons. Mainly EWS locos with the last of the earlier railfreight sub sector making an appearance,.

Moose Creek
Brian Tucker
3.5mm scale ‘HO’ set in blizzard conditions, somewhere in the Canadian north west. Featuring Canadian Pacific and British Columbia Railway locomotives, both steam and diesel.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85615-moose-creek-a-world-from-abercynon-fach/

Hafod Road
Steve Dodd
4mm scale ‘00’ – a larger layout which can be operated in different eras.

Moorland Road
Chris. Locke
4mm scale ‘00’ set in the late 1960s / 1970s BR green to blue transition period; all in a length of 7’6”

Knotts Landing

Reg Owens, Pontypridd Model Railway Club

3.5mm scale 'HO' 13'0" x 2'0" Western USA based freight layout with a working ferry ( it carries wagons of stage and returns empty or vice versa).  The layout is operated by Southern Pacific & Santa Fe sound fitted diesels . A good sized shunting layout with switchers and road engines shuffling about.

Bishops Way

John Rance and members of the Bay Model Railway Group
4mm scale  British Railways Southern Region terminus in 4mm scale ‘00’ featuring third rail electrification.

Invited DEMONSTRATORS include amongst others........

Hywel Thomas
An accomplished 4mm ‘EM’ scale modeller. Hywel will primarily be demonstrating the construction of buildings for his Morfa Bank Sidings layout, set in the Port Talbot area in the early 1970s. Some of Hywel’s work can be found here:-
http://emgauge70s.co.uk/layout_morfabank.html

Graham Tierney
Another renowned modeller, Graham will be demonstrating some of the techniques used in building rolling stock and structures for acclaimed Cardiff 4mm Group layouts Aberdare, Ynysybwl and the clubs current project Pencader.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/33493-ynysybwl/

Barrie ‘Baz’ Jones
Not just building wagons, and weathering them, but their loads as well
Also, once you’ve seen what Baz can build from the household items other folk discard (e.g. an operating wagon tippler), you’ll never throw anything out again !
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115627-shepcote-lane-tippler-sidings/

Lionel Stout

Something different. Lionel is a kitchen table engineer producing working steam and gas engines. He will be explaining his techniques and showing some of his incredible creations.

Paul Gandy

Well known for his 2mm scale 'modern image'  model of Haverfordwest and its associated military trains; Paul will be explaining how he casts his model AFVs and other scenic fittings, showing off many of his models

Watch this space for further information, and any updates.

Brian R

post-1599-0-21855800-1480930171_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE as at 17th December
I'm back from Spain !
Paul GANDY creator of the excellent 2mm scale 'Haverfordwest' which features many military vehicles will be demonstrating his casting techniques.
CAR PARK - I am informed that the adjacent car park is 'pay and display' on Monday to Friday, but not on weekends.
Brian R

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well done, Brian.

With the obvious exception of Mrs L, you have posted a very mixed bunch of images the like of which would grace any episode of ' Crimewatch'.........

Robbie Blagger..

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's hoping there's some traffic on hand at Rosamund Street this Saturday, else it'll be "job and finish" for the crew of 4176 and boredom for the punters !

Remembering back to last year, shunting the traffic got in the way of the chatting - just like the real railway! 

Note to other visitors - there would appear to be some sort of 'sporting' event taking place elsewhere in Cardiff tomorrow which seems to sort of affect some 'bus routes 

Cardiff City v Burton Albion ?

I think Cardiff City are more concerned about their attendance suffering due to a competing model railway show !

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Further investigation reveals the Caerdydd Buses website to be specifically designed to confuse foreign visitors from beyond the big river.  The item is headed '20/01/17 Diversions' but on further reading seems to relate to diversions taking place in February.

Signed

A Confused Foreign Visitor (who never used the flippin' 'buses while living in Caerdydd and now he knows why)

Further investigation reveals the Caerdydd Buses website to be specifically designed to confuse foreign visitors from beyond the big river.  The item is headed '20/01/17 Diversions' but on further reading seems to relate to diversions taking place in February.

Signed

A Confused Foreign Visitor (who never used the flippin' 'buses while living in Caerdydd and now he knows why)

I'm sorry Mike, but I'm left with no option but to take you to task over your comments.

Cardiff Bus aka Bws Caerdydd are an all embracing organisation that doesn't discriminate against intending or regular passengers on any grounds whatsoever.

They provide  the same, confusing service to all members of the community, be they English, Welsh, Catalan, Nepalese or Vulcan.

Forays into the Metrolopes of Cardiff from here in the western suburbs are only made by omnibus when one intends to imbibe, and this is care of one's "crinkly card" which permits free travel.

There is an ATW station in my road, but the sole purpose of the ATW 'City Line' is to allow the valley line controllers to achieve some  morbid gratification by turning back services at Ninian Park in order to satisfy bean counters and not fare paying passengers.

Hopefully, we'll meet up tomorrow, I'm taking my soapbox !

After seeing the thread for this show I decided to pop over from Bristol this morning.

Well worth the visit with some very nice small layouts.

The ones that floated my boat were:

post-7071-0-57362100-1485017217_thumb.jpg

Rosamund street with visiting pannier. Had an enjoyable chat with Brian Rolley.

post-7071-0-65704400-1485017313_thumb.jpg

Sheep Lane.

post-7071-0-62434300-1485017377_thumb.jpg

Trevanna Dries.

There was a nice variety of models and demo's but these three floated my boat.

I had an enjoyable chat with Hywel Thomas about his canal locks on Morfa Sidings.

Also ran into some local friends and some from Devon.

A most enjoyable visit.

The catering looked good as well.

Gordon A

Bristol

Well done chaps

• RMweb Gold

I also popped over from Bristol on the train and after I found the venue (Streetmap UK was NOT my friend) I had an enjoyable few hours catching up with old and new friends. Much to see - my best photos are of Moose Lake which I liked a lot.

post-1107-0-51831200-1485020709_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-36448000-1485020725_thumb.jpg

Newtown (Powis), Shropshire, Bedford, Thames Valley, Bristol, 'Kernow' and even The Netherlands........visitors and RMwebbers came from far and wide to our little gathering.

We hope your trips were worthwhile ?.

May I thank those who made the journey, whether  locally or from distant parts, and also thank those who came and exhibited, demonstrated, fed and watered, and those who 'lent a hand' - all of whom made for an enjoyable day.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Excellent little show once again Brian - all the boys are due congratulations for some excellent layouts and diorama style layouts and of course,  as always seems to be the case in Caerdydd,  the chat was good (the new 'bus station sounds even worse than you thought it will be according to what the 'bus driver on the way back to St Mary St was telling me).

So trip definitely worthwhile and sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to everybody but I needed to get home in time for dinner - indoors by 18.25 after all the trains had managed to run on time (unlike at least one Cardiff 'bus).

Hope you all can do it again next year.

• RMweb Gold

John (Re6/6) and I had a superb day out at Cardiff today, with good trips either way from/to South Devon.

It was great to catch up with many friends, old and new at the show, and most of the time there was spent nattering and drinking tea.

One of the layouts I particularly wanted to see 'in the flesh' was 'Sheep Lane' by Rob Gunstone, and I wasn't disappointed. Here is a little detail shot at the end of one of the sidings:

post-57-0-77906600-1485030561.jpg

I particularly liked looking out onto the layout from the fiddle yard:

post-57-0-96223200-1485030587.jpg

The man himself poses for the hacks of the gutter press:

post-57-0-07644700-1485030615_thumb.jpg

I've seen Wales, Rails & Steel by Marc Smith before, but it was great to see it again:

post-57-0-93233700-1485030674.jpg

post-57-0-97106700-1485030688_thumb.jpg

I really liked Rosamund Street aswell, although I hadn't realised that the pannier is not the normal motive power, until Brian Rolley informed me:

post-57-0-68493100-1485030746.jpg

Another minimum space layout that 'floated my boat' was Trevenna Dries, which I think very cleverly offers a lot of interest in a very small area:

post-57-0-83909200-1485030815.jpg

post-57-0-16870800-1485030828.jpg

I liked the EMU action on Bishops Way:

post-57-0-96932500-1485030877.jpg

The weathering and also the 'weather effects' on Moose Creek was excellent:

post-57-0-06430400-1485030923.jpg

post-57-0-39156500-1485030933.jpg

post-57-0-69595900-1485030943.jpg

Penny Lane shows much promise, although is understandably a 'work in progress' at the moment, with a simple but effective track plan:

post-57-0-08648900-1485031022_thumb.jpg

This well-modelled wartime armoured train was on one of the demo stands:

post-57-0-80877800-1485031080.jpg

All in all, an excellent little show and one that I would definitely like to visit again.

Archived