South Eastern Finecast GWR 517 0-4-2T

Edwardian

Apologies if this is a duplication - I could not find a post on this release, but if I'm wrong, at least I'll be directed to the right place!

So, am I the only one excited by the announcement (as seen in January's BRM, p137) of a new kit by South Eastern Finecast of the delightful little 517?

"Whitemetal kit with etched N/S chassis. OO, EM or P4. Compensation compatible. Includes name and number for 'Fair Rosamund' and 5 others.  Options include inside/outside bearing trailing axle. Choice of brake hangers and pull rod styles.

For release early 2017"  

• Like 2

I am also very interested in this loco. Where is it on their website ? I cannot see it anywhere.

I am also hoping that now that a kit has been announced then Bachmann will reveal their plans for an RTR 817 :)

Edited by brian777999
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am also very interested in this loco. Where is it on their website ? I cannot see it anywhere.

I am also hoping that now that a kit has been announced then Bachmann will reveal their plans for an RTR 817

Give Dave Ellis a call he would be happy to fill you in with the details if it's not posted on the website.

I am also hoping that now that a kit has been announced then Bachmann will reveal their plans for an RTR 817 :)

Well, I could not find any reference on their website either.

The BRM ad. surprised me, because I have been poking around Finecast's website quite a bit lately, identifying spare parts to order.  So I double-checked the site before posting, but still no reference to this forthcoming release.

So far as I know, the only info so far is this small ad.

There is both an email and telephone number on the ad, which I take to be an invitation for further enquiries: dave@sefinecast.co.uk and 01342 824711.

Last night I was looking through my BRM on the train home after a couple of jars.  But, no, I did not imagine it, it was still there when I checked this morning!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

Apologies if this is a duplication - I could not find a post on this release, but if I'm wrong, at least I'll be directed to the right place!

So, am I the only one excited by the announcement (as seen in January's BRM, p137) of a new kit by South Eastern Finecast of the delightful little 517?

"Whitemetal kit with etched N/S chassis. OO, EM or P4. Compensation compatible. Includes name and number for 'Fair Rosamund' and 5 others.  Options include inside/outside bearing trailing axle. Choice of brake hangers and pull rod styles.

For release early 2017"  

No you didn't have a mirage or drink intoxicated delusion, the 517 appears in the January Railway Modeller as well (page 69a) as a quarter page advert from South Eastern with a photo of what I assume is an unpainted model, made from the kit. The stated price for combined loco and chassis kits (Ref F212) is £89.50, with stand alone chassis kit (ref FC212)  £32.50

For whitemetal-based, the Alan Gibson was inherited from M&L (Models & Leisure, Ron Cadman). For etched-based, Mallard/Blacksmith and, later, Mitchell.

It will be interesting to see how SEF choose an era for their 517.

Ah, snap!

• RMweb Gold

For whitemetal-based, the Alan Gibson was inherited from M&L (Models & Leisure, Ron Cadman). For etched-based, Mallard/Blacksmith and, later, Mitchell.

It will be interesting to see how SEF choose an era for their 517.

One box for the basic kit, a second similar size (or larger) box for the alternative parts?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What I take to be a catalogue number in the ad and a price is; F212 Loco and chassis kit £89.50   FC212 Chassis only kit £32.50  For release early 2017

Someone beat me to it.

Edited by nickwood

No you didn't have a mirage or drink intoxicated delusion, the 517 appears in the January Railway Modeller as well (page 69a) as a quarter page advert from South Eastern with a photo of what I assume is an unpainted model, made from the kit. The stated price for combined loco and chassis kits (Ref F212) is £89.50, with stand alone chassis kit (ref FC212)  £32.50

Ah, snap!

Yes, I see the RM advert.  Same ad, but bigger!  Add with a section at the bottom referring to the acquisition of the Nucast range and the intention to release under the name Nucast Partners.

I believe the 517 is a new, and original, kit, for the SEF range. 

Ah, snap!

Yes, I see the RM advert.  Same ad, but bigger!  Add with a section at the bottom referring to the acquisition of the Nucast range and the intention to release under the name Nucast Partners.

I believe the 517 is a new, and original, kit, for the SEF range. 

I agree that it is a SEF product, as the references F and FC for the product codes are standard SEF nomenclature for their own product range. The reissued Nucast range will be a joint range with Branchlines.

Oh no! That might mess up my plans. I hope 1880s and early 1900s versions aren't possible, so I can add it to my list of useless stuff that I don't need to think of buying!

I thought it might! 

1905 - you could not resist!

I hope it is open to both 1900s and 1930s conditions!

So there!

[wink]

• Like 1

Not having seen the advert, I am intrigued by the use of future tense for the Nucast Partners.  Several items have already been re-released!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105342-nucast-partners/

They've only really been available at some exhibitions and to those "in the know" up until now. They certainly haven't been advertised or been for sale on a website.

Maybe they were just testing the water to see whether there was a demand.

Jason

I thought it might! 

So there!

[wink]

If it's like the other SEF products then you'll get most of the variants as alternative parts.

With the LNER K3 you get loads of different parts in the box and they actually sell a "short kit" with just the main parts so that you can build two locomotives if you want.

Jason

I thought it might! 

So there!

[wink]

1905 is semi-resistable £90 (plus wheels, motor etc presumably), compared to £20-30 for a chassis and bits to convert my Hornby 2721 to an 1813 pannier. I don't need both.