What scale to use for gauge 1

Ohmisterporter

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Good question finescale and live steam done in both so both valid. However 1/32 seems to be the favoured entry line today with older items being 10mm to the foot - this is so very British !!! having two scales on the same gauge. I have models in both and have no problem mixing.

The exciting thing is to consider track and back to backs on wheels as if you have fine scale 1/32 then a slightly coarse track may give problems at points - it depends if you intend as many do and enjoy membership of G1MRA    and access the networks of regional steam ups on garden layouts or the several portable ( subjective title as some a big!) lines. - These tend to be 10mm to foot layouts but good fun can be had and friendships made - I certainly did and do!!

I think going for 1/32 will be the long term future even if the 10mm brigade point to easier scaling for models ! a fine example of English perverseness having a round metric value for a 12" foot - just love it really and makes me smile a lot.  But I enjoy owning several Hydraulics in 1/32 and a 121 rail car plus a 1/29 class 66 ( whoops-another scale in the frame !) along with some lovely Tenmille kits - see what they did there with the name.  

Track available from them , plus lovely 1/32 items from Cliff Barker all the same gauge but his track allows for gauge widening as well or you can get copper clad points from Marcway in Sheffield - lovely items seen on many lines, slips and 3ways etc to make up complex layouts.

I run battery radio control but live steam and 2 rail all possible.

Give a go and you wont be disappointed.

Robert 

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have only just discovered this section.

If I were a newcomer to gauge 1 I would use 1:32 scale.  Personally, I use 10mm for my British outline stock but only because that is the scale that the G1MRA Project locomotive was designed to when I built it some 30 years ago.  My latest acquisitions are American outline stock which are all to 1:32.  Even with this difference in scale they still dwarf the British stock!.

Regards

Chris Turnbull

I see you are in Lancaster so are unlikely to visit East Anglia but, as a taster of what is available, here is Peter Jackson's footage of the East Anglia Group's meeting at the end of February:

My Aster FEF3 is at 0.20 and my Big Boy at 5.35 (I'm the bloke with the ponytail).

I see there is a G1MRA North West Group: 

http://www.gaugeonenorthwestmodelrailway.co.uk/about_the_north_west_group.htm

I suggest you give them a try.

Regards

Chris Turnbull

Thanks for that Chris. Impressive models there, my interests lie with electric power rather than live steam. I have been pricing some kits and think that gauge 1 is actually cheaper than many think on a volume of completed model basis. The North West group's Withnell Junction I have seen several times before I thought about building in this scale. There was also an Inglenook type layout that showed gauge 1 is possible and practical in a small(ish) space and probably more my thing. Must admit I like to watch long trains running at speed though.

Archived