Kernow MRC - Bachmann Class 43 Exclusive Model Announcement

Andy Y

It looks like a Warship 

I'm sorry; I may believe in Father Christmas, the tooth fairy and pots of gold at the end of the rainbow but I refuse to believe one of those looks like a Warship.

• Like 1

I do tend to agree, Andy.  Observers believing the Lima Warship has any resemblance to the prototype have a few key questions to address, frankly.

Each to their own, but I regard myself as something of a hydraulic nerd, yet I had never heard of this tiny variant relating to D845 (or was it six?).  

If the price is so ludicrous, I question i) how hard is it to recreate the exorbitant loco with some very basic modelling and ii) how high up your 'must-have' list was this particular prototype before Kernow issued its press release.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry; I may believe in Father Christmas, the tooth fairy and pots of gold at the end of the rainbow but I refuse to believe one of those looks like a Warship.

I bet Black Rat has got one.  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

The latest edition of the Bachmann Warship has moved the bar upwards again no doubt - and the 42 we have had for the last 20 years based on the old Mainline model wasn't half bad either.

The Hornby/Lima model was built down to a price - and if that's what you want to pay, or all you can afford, then it's got to be better than nowt!

Horses for courses....

Phil

It is quite clear people like yourself cannot accept other people's opinion's, so I'll just sit back and have a good laugh.

There is really no need to get so worked up over the price of a plastic toy, so I'll be doing what Andy Y suggested and pull the pin on this one thanks. :imsohappy:

Brilliant.......Love it!

But hey.......who was the one getting worked up in the first instance lol xxxxx

• Like 1

No intention of getting a warship tho........unless it's got twelve wheels!

And, why not indeed!

post-6892-0-22629800-1482323636_thumb.jpg

By Ben Brooksbank, <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0"title="Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0">CC BY-SA 2.0</a>, <a href="https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15149523">Link</a>

Sorry, couldn't resist! This IS the 12 wheeled 'Warship' you meant, right? And, it's coming from Kernow!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A pot of gold......yes and very nice it is to.

It's allowed me to do all sorts of amazing things over the last few years.

No intention of getting a warship tho........unless it's got twelve wheels!

Please advise location of the end of the rainbow (presumably that's where you found your crock of gold?).  Grid reference perfectly acceptable or directions from the nearest lighthouse if it's at sea (best to consider both angles in view of your past professional involvement). :jester:  :jester: 

• RMweb Gold

It is quite clear people like yourself cannot accept other people's opinion's, so I'll just sit back and have a good laugh.

There is really no need to get so worked up over the price of a plastic toy, so I'll be doing what Andy Y suggested and pull the pin on this one thanks. :imsohappy:

Not ready to answer my question then?  

• RMweb Gold

I note he's changed his avatar! I'm sure that's a sure fire "win friend and influence people" strategy

Now niow... the poor chap has perhaps made an ill conceived comment.... it's hardly the first time that's happened as as he and Andy have said it's time to move on... it's the season of goodwill after all :)

Griff

Please advise location of the end of the rainbow (presumably that's where you found your crock of gold?).  Grid reference perfectly acceptable or directions from the nearest lighthouse if it's at sea (best to consider both angles in view of your past professional involvement). :jester:  :jester: 

I'll tell you but you need to be carefully Mike, for at one end is surely a crock of gold but just as surely is that at the other end is a crock of shi.............

• Like 2

Not buying models does bring the price down. For example the price of the Hornby R3376 BR green class 71 has gone down to £99 at Rails and even lower at some model shops due to lack of demand. One of the members of the Purbeck Model Railway Group bought a new Hornby Railroad maroon Warship for £30 as a Hattons bargain and is satisfied with it. It looks like a Warship and runs well.

It's a gamble - I don't think 'lack of demand' is the right phrase - it's more a case of whether the quantity supplied matches the demand. If you absolutely want a model you really need to buy when it's issued to be assured of an example. If you are willing to chance it, don't buy at full price and you may find the same item on sale at a hefty discount in a few months. However you may also find that it has sold out and is going for a premium on ebay......

In the case of the class 71, it seems that having been out a few months, Hornby are keen to clear the stock before the DJM version comes out, a not illogical move.

As for the Hornby (ex-Lima) Warship, that really is a case of paying your money and taking your choice. The Hornby Railroad model is a perfectly reasonable budget model, but the premium for the Bachmann model is reflected in it's much higher specification. 

• RMweb Premium

The latest edition of the Bachmann Warship has moved the bar upwards again no doubt - and the 42 we have had for the last 20 years based on the old Mainline model wasn't half bad either.

The Hornby/Lima model was built down to a price - and if that's what you want to pay, or all you can afford, then it's got to be better than nowt!

Horses for courses....

Phil

Indeed. The current Class 43 is truly superb but for those on a budget there are some nice Bachmann Class 42 bargains out there. While that model is basic in some ways and not as good as the new Class 43, it was way ahead of its time when tooled by Mainline and can still cut it on a layout alongside newer and more finely detailed models. The Mainline mech was a bit basic and not the best, but with the Bachmann mech it was a very sweet runner. To be honest, I'm not sure there is much argument in favour of the Limby model when you can pick up the Bachmann 42 pretty cheaply. My own feeling is that the Bachmann Class 43 is worth it, with their older Class 42 still a perfectly decent model for those on a budget.

• RMweb Gold

The hobby has been blessed with bar raising warships.

Even in the 1970's the flieschmann warship was 2 decades ahead of its peers.

The mainline warship on release was the same.

The only way to improve on the latest warship would be someone making miniature working maybachs (or MANs) to install in it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

I seem to remember a model "South Devon Railway," had a Warship with a smoke unit and no motor in the 60s for a truly realistic effect.

This headcode panel nonsense is too recent for me.

I want WR pre yellow panel era.  A time when the Kings bestrode the earth god like and proud shining resplendent in a glorious GWR Green, and the foul stench of overheating License built NB Man power units was but a novelty on the line Brunel built.  Not for me the yellow panel and filth everywhere era.

Will Kernow will ever produce a D600?   If so will that be before or after Bachmann or Hornby produce the WR 80XX class 4-6-2 in both Winston Churchill and Canterbury Cathedral guises?   Now that would be a limited edition worth saving up for.

• Like 1

If so will that be before or after Bachmann or Hornby produce the WR 80XX class 4-6-2 in both Winston Churchill and Canterbury Cathedral guises?   Now that would be a limited edition worth saving up for.

A fictional loco... I dread to think of the debates we'll get on the CADs and EPs. "Now based on standard practice, it's clear they've got the firemans egg moulded on the shovel completely wrong. A 1940s egg would surely have been powdered and not capable of being fried. I'm definitely not buying this unless this cardinal error is addressed."

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sprightly was the first class 43 Warship to have a yellow warning panel in September 1961. It may appeal to people who are modelling the transitional phase between steam and diesel.

The model railway hobby may have been different if Fleischmann had produced their Warship in 00 gauge. It is only recently that Bachmann have been able to produce models to the same standard.

Hi Robin

See post 10 in this thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91489-yellow-warning-panels/

Kind regards

Phil

Seems to me the transitional era from Steam to Diesel on the WR in the West Country was 1957 to 1962 which give or take a Dean Goods or two is the era I model, so really I am talking no headcode boxes or yellow panels, and only brand new shiny low number Westerns or Hymeks. In much of the country the transition was later or more abrupt certainly I remember the West Coast mainline in 1965 being a steam railway whereas my earliest memories of Dawlish circa 1962 are it was virtually steam free.

Think I'll risk starting on the 80XX,    There have been some nice models but I am sure it would have had the County Tender and 8'6" wide cab rather than the King cab, but would it have had a mechanical stoker?  Or be oil fired?...   Smoke deflectors? Double Chimney?   Decisions Decisions.

Edited by DavidCBroad