Kernow MRC - Bachmann Class 43 Exclusive Model Announcement

Andy Y

As far as I understand, the plan was to push for dieselisation region by region.  Originally, the western region was going to be third, of four, but then a new General Manager (Stanley Raymond?) was appointed who wasn't ex-GWR, and had a disliking for anything GWR.  He persuaded the BTC to change the order, making the western region the first in the queue for dieselisation.  So just a bit of internal politics!

• RMweb Gold

As far as I understand, the plan was to push for dieselisation region by region.  Originally, the western region was going to be third, of four, but then a new General Manager (Stanley Raymond?) was appointed who wasn't ex-GWR, and had a disliking for anything GWR.  He persuaded the BTC to change the order, making the western region the first in the queue for dieselisation.  So just a bit of internal politics!

The name that still sends shivers down the spine of ex-GW men.

• RMweb Gold

Seems to me the transitional era from Steam to Diesel on the WR in the West Country was 1957 to 1962 which give or take a Dean Goods or two is the era I model, so really I am talking no headcode boxes or yellow panels, and only brand new shiny low number Westerns or Hymeks. In much of the country the transition was later or more abrupt certainly I remember the West Coast mainline in 1965 being a steam railway whereas my earliest memories of Dawlish circa 1962 are it was virtually steam free.

Think I'll risk starting on the 80XX,    There have been some nice models but I am sure it would have had the County Tender and 8'6" wide cab rather than the King cab, but would it have had a mechanical stoker?  Or be oil fired?...   Smoke deflectors? Double Chimney?   Decisions Decisions.

FYI diesels only really made an impact in the West Country from mid 1960.Unreliability and initially slow delivery were the problem.The ineptitude and ultimate collapse of NBL was a major factor as well.Then came a major shift in motive power from late 1963 on with a switch to diesel electric as the hydraulics fell out of favour with BR management .The individuality of the WR became history.

• RMweb Gold

The name that still sends shivers down the spine of ex-GW men.

Or contempt - apparently he was regarded by many as a fairly obnoxious individual whatever he might, or might not, have thought of Western tradition and fortunately his reign at Paddington was fairly brief before being succeeded by the far more progressive Gerry Fiennes.  Many WR diesel orders preceded his arrival - the big change was the acceleration of mainline dieselisation and the mass arrival of diesel electrics.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The model railway hobby may have been different if Fleischmann had produced their Warship in 00 gauge. It is only recently that Bachmann have been able to produce models to the same standard.

Even if Fleischmann had produced a bit more HO then history might have been different. I believe that at one point in the 80's Roco seriously considered British outline HO, some of their UK dealers gave them very strong feedback that there'd be a decent number of enthusiasts willing to make the move given the state of British OO at the time and the fact that Roco HO was in a completely different class. The Lima British HO models weren't up to much, the Rivarossi models were nicely done although running was mixed.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Rereading this historical thread about D845 I actually find it quite amusing. Why ? Because I am availing myself of what I consider to be a real good deal from KMRC. I have decided to take the Cornish Riviera train pack offered by Kernow consisting of a D845 and 4 chocolate and cream Mk1s for 199:99.  The Mk1s will become part of my Paddington - Wolverhampton low level / Cambrian Coast Express service mixed in with some maroon Mk1s and maroon BR/WR vehicles, which can run behind D0280, Brush 4 and Western, whilst D845 will have it's eyebrows T Cutted off and new SYPs sprayed on, to become a standard green "class 43".

Brilliant deal and thanks very much KMRC   

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Only 1 set left, as just purchased this myself

Kernow just found some more, its jumped to 6!

Update. I spend about 15 minutes some nights with T cut, cotton buds and cocktail sticks and have successfully removed the white from the drivers side and half the second man's side at one end. Very pleased with mine but care and patience are required.

When D845 is done I am considering removing the coach letters using the same method. A Hornby Railroad SK and a Bachmann FK and a maroon restaurant car augment the rake nicely. The Railroad SK was acquired just to see how it matched the Bachmann vehicles. Generally it does although a little roof and underframe bogie dirt will help. The standout is the toilet windows where Hornby's are white but Bachmann have a more realistic hue.

Back to the comments, Kernow bundle the coaches and the loco so perhaps the D845s are in greater stock numbers than the Mk1s !!!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Kernow were selling these at £89.95 at the Basingstoke show this weekend, but it was for ones without the outer packaging sleeve on the box and no limited edition certificate. I don't care about either of those but at that price I bought a D845 to add to my other seven 43s. 

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Kernow were selling these at £89.95 at the Basingstoke show this weekend, but it was for ones without the outer packaging sleeve on the box and no limited edition certificate. I don't care about either of those but at that price I bought a D845 to add to my other seven 43s. 

Only another 25 to go then Robert!

Phil

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

No plans for any more 43s.  I have 23 Peaks though, but there were 193 of them.

Yes best not! 33 43s is pushing it but we have got there....

And probably easier to track down the photographic evidence too

Phil

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 08/04/2019 at 19:21, AmpleCharms said:

So all motors aside how does this differ from the Mainline model all those years ago?I can't see how anyone can justify that price!

Its a world of difference to the mainline ones.

Bachmann dumped the old motor / tyres and lights fitted class 42 back in the 1990’s for a much heavier stronger motor / drive system.

About 5 years back they completely tooled a new Class 43 NBL version with a more refined motor. Its a much improved model with more finery and separately added parts.

At the time there some negativeity towards some considerable price increases, but of recent they have been discounted somewhat.

• Agree 1

• 2 years later...

So D845 showed up in the post today.  Wonderful model, but I had not noticed in the photos, she has two red route indicators on one end.  Is this an error on the model or did the prototype have a pair of dots on one side?  Easy to correct, but I'm leaving as is, if it is correct.

You can see the double dots in the photos:

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/55468/32-066Z-Bachmann-Class-43-Warship-Diesel-Locomotive-number-D845

49 minutes ago, TheEngineShed said:

So D845 showed up in the post today.  Wonderful model, but I had not noticed in the photos, she has two red route indicators on one end.  Is this an error on the model or did the prototype have a pair of dots on one side?  Easy to correct, but I'm leaving as is, if it is correct.

You can see the double dots in the photos:

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/55468/32-066Z-Bachmann-Class-43-Warship-Diesel-Locomotive-number-D845

I've just checked a photo in the colour album 'Heyday of the Warships' and there it is - the extra dot. So Kernow have it right!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Isn’t it because the route availability dots are on the access hatches? Looks like she acquired an access hatch from another loco with a disc on it leading to this apparent aberration... being sprightly she certainly wasn’t a double red loco!

This issue happened with other components swapped between locos .... at one stage she was running, still in green, with a maroon side valance panel! 

Edited by Phil Bullock