4mm Hfirrs3 Cargowaggon IWA twin van kit - now with single van version as well!

jonhall

• RMweb Gold

Jon

Do you have w photo of the finished vans to show where the last remaining details go please?

Trying to find the locations for the air tank and distributor, I wil dig out a photo to show where to put the etched lashing points etc

Edited by The Fatadder

Jon

Do you have w photo of the finished vans to show where the last remaining details go please?

Trying to find the locations for the air tank and distributor, I wil dig out a photo to show where to put the etched lashing points etc

Finished? Whats this finished concept?  :)  

BOTH air tanks and the distributor go under the same wagon (there is an extra distributor - not required). Both wagons have a cylinder /actuator.  I might suggest really cheekily to look at Mike and Ben's CAD for the N gauge one for locations - my photos of the twin vans don't show the brakes because they are so well hidden by the solebars - even from quite close up.

Jon  

• Like 1

Jon

These should help...

post-2484-0-44457200-1511568359_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-84950700-1511568364_thumb.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 5

Thanks Ernie!

I should also add there are extra etched horns and hoops as spares, and to give options about how to mount them. For the rams horns my preferred method is to keep the etched 'tail' and drill a small hope through the solebar so that the tail can be glued into it - that way its a bit less likely to fall off when snagged.

Jon

Edited by jonhall

Thanks Ernie!

I should also add there are extra etched horns and hoops as spares, and to give options about how to mount them. For the rams horns my preferred method is to keep the etched 'tail' and drill a small hope through the solebar so that the tail can be glued into it - that way its a bit less likely to fall off when snagged.

Jon

Jon,

No problem.  I will post a drawing of the arrangement between the two halves of the twin.  It shows the buffer arrangement and couplings.  On this first batch of twins, if you pushed hard against another wagon or buffer stops on a reverse curve you could get plunger locked, ie the end of the plunger (headless buffer) slid off the side of the wearing face on the other half.  This happened on a couple of occasions on the trainferry when shunting onto the 'wings' (outside tracks).  It was an easy fix as you could pull the wagon and it would come back enough to go back.  Phew..  The later twins had an improved arrangement.  A UIC fiche was also introduced to lay down specific requirements for 'twin wagons' and the coupling arrangement was covered.

Regards

Ernie

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Finally got round to building the second half last night, along with a start on detailing. They are now pretty much ready for paint, with the exception of the below part and the hand brake wheels.

What exactly is this part and where should it go?

post-54-0-95256400-1512042413_thumb.jpeg

Looking forward to getting it painted, though I doubt the blue will be sprayed until the spring (the silver I find brush paints rather well)

• Like 1

Rich, its the air brake distributor, you only need one of the two and it goes on the wagon with both brake tanks, in line with them, and on the centerline of the length. It sits on three feet I think (I didn't produce the masters, I need thank Martin McD for printing his 7mm ones in 4mm) so I've never seen it in that level of detail before!

Jon

Edited by jonhall

• 1 month later...

In the spirit of the January sales, and because I need to make space in my workshop for actually working, the remainder of my stock of these kits have been reduced from £50 to £45 per pair 

£4.40 postage for any number of pairs of wagons to the UK, or if I have any left, they will be available for collection from me at the CMRA show at Stevenage in January

please PM for payment details.

Thanks,

Jon

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well, that's me finally got a chunk of space back in the workshop, the last of the 2nd and final batch have been dispatched to their new owners.

I remain uncertain what to do about the single van - I'd really like to do it as a kit, but the number of people who inquired but lost interest when the transfers weren't available has put me off - if only Railtec had taken up the challenge and done them for the twin van - 95% of the lettering would do for the single as well, and there are already customers for 50 twin-sets out there.

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That’s a shame to hear Jon,

Still please count me in if it does go ahead.

At some point I need to get my twin set painted (though I guess it’s the aforementioned lack of transfers that’s stopping it getting the top of the queue

Well, that's me finally got a chunk of space back in the workshop, the last of the 2nd and final batch have been dispatched to their new owners.

I remain uncertain what to do about the single van - I'd really like to do it as a kit, but the number of people who inquired but lost interest when the transfers weren't available has put me off - if only Railtec had taken up the challenge and done them for the twin van - 95% of the lettering would do for the single as well, and there are already customers for 50 twin-sets out there.

Jon

I replied to your email on 6th March Jon; perhaps you didn't receive it? (It may have gone into junk?). I'll PM you on here.

Jon

Agreed, The decal of CARGOWAGGON would be a big boost for lots of projects.  The yellow background is not essential as getting the correct spacing around the stanchions is a pain.  Fingers crossed....

I replied to your email on 6th March Jon; perhaps you didn't receive it? (It may have gone into junk?). I'll PM you on here.

Sorry Steve - must have got lost in the system - yes I'd be very pleased if you could do these!

jON

Did they run in any liveries other than 'cargowaggon' or complete filth? (Ford? Perrier? Tauntons Cider? etc)

Edit: or the Cargowaggon blue body like some of the bogie wagons were even?

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

For anyone who hasn’t already seen, Railtec are now doing transfers for these. Mine arrived this morning, so I really need to get on and paint them. I am thinking that ECC blue doesn’t look far off the top, and warning yellow for the yellow panels on the side under the Cargowaggon logos.

Hopefully I have enough silver left!

For anyone who hasn’t already seen, Railtec are now doing transfers for these. Mine arrived this morning, so I really need to get on and paint them. I am thinking that ECC blue doesn’t look far off the top, and warning yellow for the yellow panels on the side under the Cargowaggon logos.

Hopefully I have enough silver left!

Hello The Fataddaer

I agree with you on the use of ECC Blue Paint. I used this on a couple of Roco HO Guage  Single wagons re done as Cargo waggon singles and Jouef Van as an unbranded Cargo waggon HABFIS bogie ferry wagon  several years ago. Its a bit light compared to the Heljan offering but with a little weathering looks OK 

Cheers Trailrage 

Edited by TRAILRAGE

The blue should be RAL5017 traffic blue, I don't have a nearest match in the Halfords range, but would be open to suggestions, my set of Railtec transfers arrived yesterday, but I have not had a chance to inspect them yet.

Jon

Just a quickie to let folks know that after a very quick sell-out, these 4mm packs have now been re-stocked. I will endeavour to keep them plentiful!

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=cargowaggon&gauge=4mm

With our wanting to break topic too much, about to order 3 sets of transfers then remembered there's some other wagon branding I need but can't remember who does them: Grainflow transfers for the big bogie polybulk style wagons. Had a quick look through your list but can't see them so thought I'd ask if I'm just being blind or do I need to look elsewhere? Thanks.

With our wanting to break topic too much, about to order 3 sets of transfers then remembered there's some other wagon branding I need but can't remember who does them: Grainflow transfers for the big bogie polybulk style wagons. Had a quick look through your list but can't see them so thought I'd ask if I'm just being blind or do I need to look elsewhere? Thanks.

Grainflow is not something I currently do, I'm afraid.