Hawkins Bazaar

JohnR

• RMweb Premium

Their Hornby concession was very half hearted. I only ever saw a handful of lower end Railroad items and the RR Tornado. Nothing to attract modellers and probably not much to attract youngsters looking for trainset accessories either. Sad as since the demise of Modelzone the high street presence of model shops is all but gone.

• RMweb Gold

Hawkins Bazaar are clearing all their Hornby product at half RRP.

Got a few bargains, especially for the little one. Guess that Hornby are closing out their concessions.

The Gresley collection half price seems a bargain

http://www.hawkin.com/model-shop/Hornby/sort-by/price/sort-direction/desc

• RMweb Gold

Their Hornby concession was very half hearted. I only ever saw a handful of lower end Railroad items and the RR Tornado. Nothing to attract modellers and probably not much to attract youngsters looking for trainset accessories either. Sad as since the demise of Modelzone the high street presence of model shops is all but gone.

Think it depends on your branch. Plenty of accessories and track for youngsters in mine.

That doesn't mean that Hawkin's Bazaar will no longer stock Hornby, but I guess the range will be more focused and purchased on normal retail terms. Remember that Hornby is also Scalextric, Airfix and Corgi and these fit well with the market that Hawkins serve.

Worth a look if you have a local store - the one in Coventry has plenty of track and the the Hornby track packs at half price. Also couple of the Eurostar and flying Scotsman sets at 99.99 as well as numerous railroad wagons from 2.99 I think it was. Not many locos though just a single flying Scotsman for 39.99 (did have Tornado as well until I purchased if at 39.99!) as well as the small shunters at 13.49. All in all rather pleased TBH.

Edit: Spelling . . . iPhone predictive text not quite working . . .

When Modelzone went bust, all current Hornby / Scalextric / Corgi / Airfix / Humbrol items were not included in the sales. Only the old stock was allowed to be discounted. All the rest of the stuff went back to Hornby.

I wasn't aware that Modelzone had gone bust. I did notice that the new model shop in Bridge St, Peterborough seemed to disappear quite quickly, but that's a general comment on businesses like that - they don't seem to survive outside Queensgate, and Trains4U are right out of town with no passing trade at all

Hawkins Bazaar and other similar shops come and go in Queensgate, I don't even TRY to keep track of who is currently there

I wasn't aware that Modelzone had gone bust. I did notice that the new model shop in Bridge St, Peterborough seemed to disappear quite quickly, but that's a general comment on businesses like that - they don't seem to survive outside Queensgate, and Trains4U are right out of town with no passing trade at all

Hawkins Bazaar and other similar shops come and go in Queensgate, I don't even TRY to keep track of who is currently there

There have been two incarnations of Modelzone - the original widespread across the country ones went bust. The name was then acquired by WH Smith who have a few Modelzones in some of their stores,

• RMweb Gold

Yep.

Eventually you'll receive a message saying they're super-excited to have dispatched it.

Or if you are unlucky, nothing at all but a refund notice from PayPal.

I got everything I ordered bar two Colletts.

• RMweb Gold

I've just bought some things in the sale, and paid through PayPal, checked out that was as well because it is quicker. I got a confirmation email from PayPal alright but not one from Hawkins Bazaar themselves, is this normal?

Yes, just received the last LNER liveried J15 (for now?). Went through as normal on PP. Nowt from Hawkins until last night, then UK Mail today.

I called in at the Reading Hawkins on Saturday. The Tornados had gone, but still plenty of half price train sets, wagons, Smokey Joes and Bagnalls, along with track, point motors, signals and buildings (including some of the combined accessory packs)*. So plenty there for the younger modellers - but Hawkins didn't really strike me as a terribly child-friendly store with items like a Haynes build-your-own Routemaster or Starship Enterprise squashed in between Fifty Shades of Grey and the Karma Sutra.

* Though I do wonder if Hornby have been over-charging for most of these items for the last 20 years. None of them are super-detailed and most had long-returned their tooling costs before production moved to China. So the switch to cheaper Chinese manufacture rather than Margate should have resulted in lower costs to Hornby but I can't remember a permanent reduction in RRP as a result of Chinese manufacturing. If anything Hornby track is a little dearer than its Devon-made rival.

Archived