KiwiRail to end electric freight haulage

DavidB-AU

Following two years of studies, national railway KiwiRail announced on December 21 that it had decided to cease electric haulage of freight trains on the North Island Main Trunk line in favour of using diesel locomotives.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/infrastructure/single-view/view/kiwirail-to-end-electric-freight-haulage.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Kiwirail seem to have ironed out the initial problems with the DL class. If the Brush EFs have a poor availability perhaps Kiwirail could have a look at second hand Japanese electric freight locos. It does seem a pity to abandon electric haulage these days.

I take it back. Further reading suggests that the problems with the DL class are far from ironed out. I read the report and recommendation and think that it is typical of reports that aim to justify management's decisions. It is easy to write reports in such a way as to "prove" any case you want, or in this case what the management wants i.e. do away with electrification. If the reverse were true and Kiwirail wanted more public funds to expand the electrification on North Island I have no doubt that the same people could produce a report in favour of it.

• Like 2

Strikes me as a very retrograde step for a country that has no oil reserves but plenty of ways to generate clean electricity. Is this more about looking at the short term financial implications of having to change traction between electrified and non-electrified sections with the associated costs in time, traction and crews?

Is this more about looking at the short term financial implications of having to change traction between electrified and non-electrified sections with the associated costs in time, traction and crews?

Though it does add an interesting interlude on taking the Overlander (admittedly a passenger train). And I do like the KiwiRail colour scheme :)

8301080735_b3cc44f692_z.jpg

8302142258_63d2a6ba8d_z.jpg

• Like 7

Kiwirail seem to have ironed out the initial problems with the DL class. If the Brush EFs have a poor availability perhaps Kiwirail could have a look at second hand Japanese electric freight locos. It does seem a pity to abandon electric haulage these days.

It's a nice idea, but I doubt that JNR electric locos would fit the NZ loading gauge.

Cheers,

Mark.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

While visiting New Zealand in January and February this year the new Coalition Government had "told" KiwiRail no more DLs.

I only saw the odd electric hauled freight train on our trip from Wellington to Hamilton and then onto Aukland. The electrics were not used on the passenger train.

post-7650-0-41662900-1526573876_thumb.jpg

One freight had one Electric loco sans Pantograph coupled as a "Slug" but I couldn't tell if it was working or just dead. The Electrics have a "Day off" every week for maintenance but are roughly as reliable as the DLs

The DLs do seem to emit a lot of emissions when hauling heavy loads..

With the amount of heavy lorries on small main roads increasing KiwiRail needs to get a grip and come up with a full electrification proposal. 

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

The article linked above hints at ideas to fill in the electrification gaps, but ignores the Wellington end.

Eventual extension of the electrification all the way from Auckland to Wellington would probably make good sense (long-term). There is one fly in the ointment for that to occur though: Wellington's system being 1600V DC, whereas the rest is all 25kV AC. Unless Wellington can convert its lines to the 25kV system, it would mean running the two systems separately, side by side. Such things do exist elsewhere: I have recently visited Copenhagen and Hamburg, where exactly this scenario occurs. Indeed, Copenhagen's main lines use 25kV AC while its suburban lines (S-tog) use 1650V DC overhead, so the two systems exist on separate sides of the central station.

Whatever else happens, I am glad common sense seems to be prevailing in keeping the electrics going.

Maybe they looked at the parted-out remnants of NSWGR in the mid 1990s when in their wisdom, the operators binned the 85 and 86 class for diesel haulage.

And perhaps being a bit sentimental here, the good old MV 46 class which were known to be pretty much bulletproof.

I still cannot understand why Victoria de-electrified the Traralgon line. Short term gains appear to trump everything in the last 30 years or so, do these people never think ahead? In fact I was reading a while ago that the 1950s/60s VR electrification should've spread much further than it did, but was sadly curtailed.

Seems the Kiwis have thought about this properly, and after an investigation are not willing to repeat the policies of their Aussie neighbours.

It wasn't so long ago that this could've happened here, there was a semi-serious proposal to de-electrify the WCML north of Preston.

That was in the days of the real estate company ER ER I mean Railtrack, thankfully common sense prevailed (and Railtrack was wound up) but rumours at the time suggested it could've happened. IIRC Pendos may well have saved the day on that one (much as I dislike the things, credit where it's due?).

• RMweb Premium

if the Brush Electrics are getting a bit fragile , I'm sure the Chinese will build them some new locos to use. Glad to see the wires staying , and hoping that electric haulage extends to all trains under the wires.

Perhaps we could build them some new locos. After Brexit we will need the business.

The article linked above hints at ideas to fill in the electrification gaps, but ignores the Wellington end.

Eventual extension of the electrification all the way from Auckland to Wellington would probably make good sense (long-term). There is one fly in the ointment for that to occur though: Wellington's system being 1600V DC, whereas the rest is all 25kV AC. Unless Wellington can convert its lines to the 25kV system, it would mean running the two systems separately, side by side. Such things do exist elsewhere: I have recently visited Copenhagen and Hamburg, where exactly this scenario occurs. Indeed, Copenhagen's main lines use 25kV AC while its suburban lines (S-tog) use 1650V DC overhead, so the two systems exist on separate sides of the central station.

Whatever else happens, I am glad common sense seems to be prevailing in keeping the electrics going.

Dual voltage wouldn't be a major problem.  The French for example have been building locos and units to run under 1500V and 25kV for many decades, and modern power electronics makes it even easier. 

• Like 1

Dual voltage wouldn't be a major problem.  The French for example have been building locos and units to run under 1500V and 25kV for many decades, and modern power electronics makes it even easier. 

True: it does add complication to the locomotives and therefore more to go wrong with them, exactly the problem they are trying to eliminate. However, it is a very viable alternative solution that I had overlooked.

There are some European locomotives and units running under up to four different voltages and systems. The French have been standardising on 25kV AC but still have other, older systems in place, the Belgians are on 3000V DC, Dutch on 1500V DC, Swiss, German and Swedish railways use 16kV 16-2/3cycles AC ... the list could go on but you get the idea. 

In short, Edwin is absolutely correct in his suggestion, with the proviso I added that it does add a little extra complication. Probably cheaper than having two sets of railway tracks on two different voltages side by side, though. :)

Perhaps we could build them some new locos. After Brexit we will need the business.

I don't disagree with you on either of these points but where and by whom?

Derby's Litchurch Lane works is literally just an assembly point using imported components.

Loughborough, possibly.

I'm not aware of anywhere else in the UK capable of building a full locomotive any more, happy to be educated though.

Such a locomotive would surely need to be designed from the rail up, much as I'd love to see locomotives designed & built in this country again, I think it would be a tough call to gather the location and people not to mention the engineering together to do this.

Back to the OP, I'm very happy indeed to see sanity return to Kiwi Rail. De-electrification schemes are utter nonsense in my book.

• Like 2

I don't disagree with you on either of these points but where and by whom?

<snip>

Back to the OP, I'm very happy indeed to see sanity return to Kiwi Rail. De-electrification schemes are utter nonsense in my book.

I suspect you'd be talking to the likes of Siemens, Vossloh et al to deliver a variant of the many machines they already sell worldwide, rather than asking an unknown quantity to build you something from the drawing board...

Definately good to see de-electrification being cancelled though.

Maybe they looked at the parted-out remnants of NSWGR in the mid 1990s when in their wisdom, the operators binned the 85 and 86 class for diesel haulage.

And perhaps being a bit sentimental here, the good old MV 46 class which were known to be pretty much bulletproof.

I still cannot understand why Victoria de-electrified the Traralgon line. Short term gains appear to trump everything in the last 30 years or so, do these people never think ahead? In fact I was reading a while ago that the 1950s/60s VR electrification should've spread much further than it did, but was sadly curtailed.

Seems the Kiwis have thought about this properly, and after an investigation are not willing to repeat the policies of their Aussie neighbours.

It wasn't so long ago that this could've happened here, there was a semi-serious proposal to de-electrify the WCML north of Preston.

That was in the days of the real estate company ER ER I mean Railtrack, thankfully common sense prevailed (and Railtrack was wound up) but rumours at the time suggested it could've happened. IIRC Pendos may well have saved the day on that one (much as I dislike the things, credit where it's due?).

Good to see de-electrification cancelled - I’ve always seen it as a backwards step apart from in a few specific situations. I was under the impression that it was the ECML beyond Newcastle Railtrack was going to de-wire, supposedly because a lot of trains north of there also went north of Edinburgh and would have to be diesel anyway. I presume for dual voltage where both are from overhead lines that a neutral section is involved for changeover, but what happens if the pantograph type/wire height is different as well as the voltage?

• Like 1

Good to see de-electrification cancelled - I’ve always seen it as a backwards step apart from in a few specific situations. I was under the impression that it was the ECML beyond Newcastle Railtrack was going to de-wire, supposedly because a lot of trains north of there also went north of Edinburgh and would have to be diesel anyway. I presume for dual voltage where both are from overhead lines that a neutral section is involved for changeover, but what happens if the pantograph type/wire height is different as well as the voltage?

Dual-voltage locos generally have different pantographs for each system.  Sometimes, as with tram-trains, the same pan can be used.  This is possibly because the speed and/or the current is lower.