DJModels Ltd End of Year Report 2016

DJM Dave

Congratulations Dave. I am pleased to hear of your success to date and and for the future. It is all down to your hard work and enthusiasm, you are a credit to yourself, your business and this hobby. Clearly not all plain sailing but on the whole very positive.

Thank you for what you've delivered in 2016 and all the best for 2017! It promises to be an interesting and exciting year!

All the best,

David

Interesting behind the scenes information. While nobody wants to be the victim of a theft, it's good to know that a combination of vigilance and police work led to the conviction of the thief and the recovery of the stolen stock. 

• Like 1

That emboldened statement stood out, something you want to elaborate on?

Yes I'll gladly elaborate for you....

The ramblings above that were, I'm sure some people would appreciate, 'coming to an end' nothing more nothing less.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

I guess that the comment that you'll not be undertaking any more crowdfunded models (apart from be class 92) for a good number of years means that you've now officially ditched the proposed N gauge cars project.

G.

Great detective work on the theft and good to hear the outcome. Certainly makes me wonder about the source of some of the eBay new loco bargains... also, were the goods in transit covered by insurance?

David

Hi David,

Yes the goods were covered by insurance but getting blood from a stone takes time so I'm glad I got most back expediently. Lol

Cheers

Dave

I guess that the comment that you'll not be undertaking any more crowdfunded models (apart from be class 92) for a good number of years means that you've now officially ditched the proposed N gauge cars project.

G.

Hi Grahame,

It's fair to say that I didn't handle the car crowdfunding very well, but in all honesty I don't think I judged that market very well at all.

You could argue that it would be better if everyone knew exactly which cars etc, but I'm not sure it would have helped make the numbers to make the project work, bearing in mind how many needed to have been shifted.

I'm glad that Base and Oxford sell vehicles although I do tend to see large stocks still sitting on stockists shelves and for a 'start up' doing these it would worry me somewhat.

Lesson learned here I think.

Dave

I'm glad that Base and Oxford sell vehicles although I do tend to see large stocks still sitting on stockists shelves and for a 'start up' doing these it would worry me somewhat. Lesson learned here I think.

Although, of course, those stocks on shelves aren't from the era being proposed as BT and ODC don't make a range of basic comon or garden private saloon cars from the 70s, 80s and 90s. It would have been nice to test out whether there is a demand for them, but I accept you've now dropped the proposal. Nonetheless, thanks for the update.

G.

Curious as to why the theft was not made known - a loco or two nicked from a exhibition gets publicised widely but nothing re four dozen Austerities going astray.

It was part of the on going investigation, so we kept everything quiet so as not to spook the thief.

Plus there was liability issues, freight company involvement, etc etc

Trust me I still can't put all I'd like, but I am glad it's over.

Going public on a theft is always a balancing act. On the one hand, if you don't have anything to go on, then wider publicity can often help recover the stolen items, particularly if they've already been fenced and are into the wild, so to speak. But on the other hand, if you do have a good lead, then keeping quiet about it minimises the chance that the thief will dispose of everything before the police are ready to draw in the net. 

The worst case scenario is that the thief realises that he can't sell the swag, so just dumps it. If that happens, you've very unlikely ever to get it back, and there won't be any evidence if the police do catch up with him.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave, I read from this that you are somwhat nearer to swimming than you are to sinking, and I am pleased for you.

You talk of the J94 as if it's all done and dusted but there are some models still yet to appear including the one I ordered OOJ94-002.

Can I ask what the plan is for delivery of the remaining J94 variants?

Hi Dave, I read from this that you are somwhat nearer to swimming than you are to sinking, and I am pleased for you.

You talk of the J94 as if it's all done and dusted but there are some models still yet to appear including the one I ordered OOJ94-002.

Can I ask what the plan is for delivery of the remaining J94 variants?

See, I did say I could ramble on and in fact should have done lol

The remaining outstanding models are due the end of feb/march

Sorry, a big omission I should have included.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dave,

Many thanks for the update but one item missing was the N version of the J94. I think that in a previous message you indicated Autumn 2017. Is that still the case?

David

Hi Dave,

All the best for the new year and I look forward to my preordered king completing the Little Didcot express passenger fleet later in the year!

All the best,

Castle

Edit: and my second No.1363 to go with my etched kit too!

Edited by Castle

It's fair to say that I didn't handle the car crowdfunding very well, but in all honesty I don't think I judged that market very well at all.

You could argue that it would be better if everyone knew exactly which cars etc, but I'm not sure it would have helped make the numbers to make the project work, bearing in mind how many needed to have been shifted.

Dave

Hi Dave, Would it be possible for you to take cancelled projects off your Pre-Order page on your website so that people knows what projects are still going ahead? Also could you also update the Product Progress chart?

Thanks,

Samuel.

• RMweb Premium

Disappointed and puzzled about the high number of cancellations on the RMweb J94. Is there a rational explanation of why it was suddenly not what so many people wanted?

As someone who contributed to that cancellation rate, and certainly not with malice, I really think the website needs fixing. I ordered and then got no confirmation email, I tried again. Therefore my order was technically only 50% successful. Until I got the PayPal invoices, I was wondering whether I would get a model at all. Of course if the true order rate has been seen, perhaps the model would never have gone ahead - while I like the model, I would rather that than it causing Dave commercial challenges (that would apply to any business, not just Dave's!).

Dave was kind enough to confirm by PM that my orders for the 92s had gone through but that just takes up his valuable time.

As noted, other cancelled projects need to be removed too so that it is easier for people to order.

Dave, wishing you every success for 2017, looking forward to the 71 and Hope orders pick up for the 74.

As someone who contributed to that cancellation rate, and certainly not with malice, I really think the website needs fixing. I ordered and then got no confirmation email, I tried again. Therefore my order was technically only 50% successful. 

I agree; I had precisely the same issue - I had no confirmation of my initial attempt to order, so I assumed it hadn't gone through and tried again. I had no idea that I'd actually placed multiple orders until I got the PayPal invoices. This is something that needs to be addressed on the website - it's the sort of thing that ought to be done automatically by the system which takes the pre-orders, it shouldn't rely on a human manually sending out acknowledgements.