Jason's 2017 Mystery Tour

rapidotrains

Edit:

First report is here -             #47            

Second report is here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118446-jasons-2017-mystery-tour/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2573225

Third report is here (warning: some buses) - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118446-jasons-2017-mystery-tour/page-4&do=findComment&comment=2579780

Fourth report is here (warning: some more buses) - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118446-jasons-2017-mystery-tour/page-4&do=findComment&comment=2581176

Fifth report is here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118446-jasons-2017-mystery-tour/page-4&do=findComment&comment=2581790

And final report is here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118446-jasons-2017-mystery-tour/page-5&do=findComment&comment=2582646

-----

Hi guys,

Long time no speak!

I'm preparing to come to the UK for the first time since 2015. I'll be landing at Heathrow on Monday the 9th. There is no big show this time. It's just boring old meetings. But I intend to have some fun along the way.

This week-long trip has far less travel than usual. It's only:

Heathrow

Reading

Birmingham

Peterborough

Darlington

Shildon

Stockton

Darlington (again)

Leeds

Wythall

Birmingham (again)

Crewe

Manchester

Crewe (again)

Sheffield

London (finally!)

Leamington Spa

Birmingham (again)

Peterborough (again)

Somewhere yet to be determined
Heathrow

I will be posting updates to this thread. It should be interesting.... I hope!

For the first time since 2009, I will be in London for more than two hours. I will in fact be there for three hours, eating delicious vegetarian food with Ben and Mike from Revolution Trains.

I'm particularly looking forwad to Wythall. My fellow bus foamers will know why.

Best regards,

Jason

post-20909-0-36555300-1483321992_thumb.jpg

Wow, at least 3 different places per day!

I seriously would not feel confident just traveling all of them in such a short time, let alone have meetings etc....

Édit: unless Rapido have cracked teleportation technologies!

Wow, at least 3 different places per day!

I seriously would not feel confident just traveling all of them in such a short time, let alone have meetings etc....

Édit: unless Rapido have cracked teleportation technologies!

From the perspective of a Canadian, most of the mainland UK is within the boundaries of "day trip." We drove most of the way to Washington DC the other day. 500 miles with the three kids in the car. Thankfully no explosions.

The whole UK trip should work, unless we get The Wrong Kind Of Snow. In that case, I'll never leave Reading.....

-Jason

Remember, when in Sheffield you must visit the space centre, a comic/sci-fi/doctor who/geek shop in the shadow of the wicker arches.

And for those visitors to Sheffield expecting to see some artistic installation made out of reeds or willow stalks, the Wicker arches are in fact made of stone, and part of the original Sheffield-Manchester rail line, now only a freight stub.

From the perspective of a Canadian, most of the mainland UK is within the boundaries of "day trip." We drove most of the way to Washington DC the other day. 500 miles with the three kids in the car. Thankfully no explosions.

The whole UK trip should work, unless we get The Wrong Kind Of Snow. In that case, I'll never leave Reading.....

-Jason

Agree most of the UK should be within a day trip, though personally I found I could travel quicker from Toronto to Quebec than I could from Central London to Heathrow! Good luck on the trip and may the gods protect you from strikes, snow and leaves....

Ah, Jason is having meetings. Which means business meetings. Which means possible forthcoming models under review. Which means new announcements imminent. 

Yeah, pretty much that. Though this time I'm hoping we won't announce anything until we're closer to delivery. But with two Rapido factories working now, that should not be too onerous a task.

If you haven't seen our two factories at work, here are two videos I shot in China in November.

This one is the new factory starting up:

And this one takes you through our main factory when it is very, very busy:

-Jason

Yeah, pretty much that. Though this time I'm hoping we won't announce anything until we're closer to delivery. But with two Rapido factories working now, that should not be too onerous a task.

If you haven't seen our two factories at work, here are two videos I shot in China in November.

This one is the new factory starting up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlbMfyaOykE

And this one takes you through our main factory when it is very, very busy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo5vPMEc6v0

-Jason

Oh god, it's going to become the year of cryptic clues!

Ah, Jason is having meetings. Which means business meetings. Which means possible forthcoming models under review. Which means new announcements imminent. Which means: Let the frothing commence!

:jester:

(yes Jason, we're onto your game! but we like it way too much, so we'll play along :P )

Well, one thing which has not gone up in price in model railways is the froth!

That is some mileage! I'm off work this week so deciding where to go, decided any further than Shildon is too far for one week... (Actually decided to go to a certain cheese factory in Hawes, N Yorks tomorrow) but all those locations? You getting a private jet or something? haha

That is some mileage! I'm off work this week so deciding where to go, decided any further than Shildon is too far for one week... (Actually decided to go to a certain cheese factory in Hawes, N Yorks tomorrow) but all those locations? You getting a private jet or something? haha

When we lived in the UK we always found it amusing that there were hotels attached to the services on the motorway.

You can drive from London to Aberdeen in a day. Why do you need a hotel?

And then one Sunday I stopped in a services at the bottom of Pershore Road to use the loo, and I saw people sitting in the cafe reading the newspaper over a cup of tea. That's when I figured it out. If you stop at every services for an hour, you definitely need a hotel or two en route.....  :angel:

-Jason

When we lived in the UK we always found it amusing that there were hotels attached to the services on the motorway.

You can drive from London to Aberdeen in a day. Why do you need a hotel?

And then one Sunday I stopped in a services at the bottom of Pershore Road to use the loo, and I saw people sitting in the cafe reading the newspaper over a cup of tea. That's when I figured it out. If you stop at every services for an hour, you definitely need a hotel or two en route.....  :angel:

-Jason

If you haven't driven long distances in the UK in recent years, I think you'd find it a gruelling experience now. Part of the problem is that you can't rely on how long it will take. I did Peterborough to St. Ives, Cornwall, in around six hours last summer (with plenty of comfort stops) but the trip back took nearly twice as long due to heavy traffic, diversions and weather. We are also advised to take frequent stops after some serious accidents due to people falling asleep at the wheel. Most of our roads now are like the Gardiner Expressway the last time I was in Toronto - Ok when they aren't busy but hopelessly overloaded most of the time - like getting out of the NEC on Saturday evenings! (CJL)

Most of our roads now are like the Gardiner Expressway the last time I was in Toronto - Ok when they aren't busy but hopelessly overloaded most of the time - like getting out of the NEC on Saturday evenings! (CJL)

Oh dear... and I do remember how difficult that was! I also remember that same night we got lost in Sparkbrook, Birmingham, and I was trying to do a 17-point turn in a manual car while balancing a map on my knee and interrupting a drug deal being concluded in the lorry directly in front of us. Now THAT was an experience to remember.

Some things don't make it into the official Rapido newsletters...... 

-Jason

• RMweb Gold

All depends on the size of country you're used to, on the IoW my friends there think Ventnor to Newport is an big excursion! I mollified them by stopping halfway every time at the rather good cafe at the Old Smithy for the most impressive cake counter this side of the Mr Kipling factory!

• RMweb Gold

If you haven't driven long distances in the UK in recent years, I think you'd find it a gruelling experience now. Part of the problem is that you can't rely on how long it will take. I did Peterborough to St. Ives, Cornwall, in around six hours last summer (with plenty of comfort stops) but the trip back took nearly twice as long due to heavy traffic, diversions and weather. We are also advised to take frequent stops after some serious accidents due to people falling asleep at the wheel. Most of our roads now are like the Gardiner Expressway the last time I was in Toronto - Ok when they aren't busy but hopelessly overloaded most of the time - like getting out of the NEC on Saturday evenings! (CJL)

I used to think nothing of driving down from Reading to Cornwall.  I have never liked the M4/M5 (especially) route so used the A303 but nowadays I much prefer to go y train and hire a car down there - keeping well clear of the peak tourist season.  Many long distance driving journeys are no fun at all.

A lot of driving capability depends on the car you drive as well - Fairbourne to the South Coast non-stop in my Saab 9-5 is the equivalent of Rugeley to Cannock in my old Mk1 Vauxhall Corsa despite me being nearly 20 years older and more prone to fatigue!

Oh dear... and I do remember how difficult that was! I also remember that same night we got lost in Sparkbrook, Birmingham, and I was trying to do a 17-point turn in a manual car while balancing a map on my knee and interrupting a drug deal being concluded in the lorry directly in front of us. Now THAT was an experience to remember.

Some things don't make it into the official Rapido newsletters...... 

-Jason

Yep, that was one Heck of an evening!

Archived