Evesham (Midland) LMS Station & Goods Yard(s) c1927

• 2 months later...

Thanks - I' will take a gander:

Here are some update photos: The base boarding has been cut to size and is being braced (screwed and glued to pine battens) and then screwed to the supporting beams.

I had thought to use 6mm marine ply but our one and only local timber supplier did not have the advertised stock except for one piece - a fairly typical bait and switch tactic. Being a cynic I had also made plans for braced 7mm non-marine ply and also braced 9mm mdf. I settled on the 7mm ply and despite many of the standard advertised sized boards not being able (which meant a lot of additional cutting) I got the majority of what I needed. The truly eagle eyed will notice a few additional supports to the framing a well!

post-30837-0-74248500-1516090672_thumb.jpg

The bracing on the piece below is not on its edge as a thinner shim/spacer will be added to ensure the correct slope.when placed on the supporting structure.

post-30837-0-54542800-1516091096_thumb.jpg

I cut all the boards on Bro's table saw - a godsend for this kind of work! For the rest of the work I use an old dropsaw. For drilling/driving, again Bro has kindly loaned his lightweight cordless drill and driver. Otherwise I would be using my own much heavier drills. I strongly recommend the assistance of a near relative with a good assortment of power tools etc! :)

Being paranoid, I got exterior ply with at least one good face (BC). Should be pretty stable right?

post-30837-0-16629800-1516091676_thumb.jpg

This is what happened to one piece only two weeks after I bought it - it has been stored in the dry....

post-30837-0-36777600-1516091824_thumb.jpg

As you can see it has delaminated, bent like a banana and one of the plys has fractured. Subsequently, during some unseasonaly wet weather, I noticed that some of the laid out boards had actually flattened a little...which probably indicates that the ply was manuafactured in a very humid environment. Anyway, so much for quality control. On of the braced boards is also showing sign of delaminating so all I can do is apply some real wood glue and clamp firmly!

More anon- hopefully at a greater pace than before! 

• RMweb Premium

I used BB quality  birch ply. Special order to my local (proper) timber merchant, but more than happy to get it.

He cut it all, accurately and well to a cutting plan that I supplied.

Total cost for 3 off 8' x 4' 6mm birch ply and 1 off 8' x 4' 18mm ply, cut as required was ~£135. I thought that was quite good value, and a far better cut than I could have managed.

Looking good otherwise.

Regards

Ian

• 7 months later...

Just found this thread completely by accident on a search for coal traffic through Evesham. I thought I was the first to find the "perfect" actual location for a nice layout in the 11x6 space I had available. My layout is complete and although compressed somewhat I have been able to achieve I think a fair representation of the areas between the two bridges of the Midland line and also a little bit of the adjacent Great Western station. Look out for my efforts on facebook where my locoman 8f will be appearing on coal traffic. Incidentally I would love to know if a Stanier 8f ever ventured onto BRs version of this particular line, doubtful I know but hey ho.

• Like 2

Just found this thread completely by accident on a search for coal traffic through Evesham. I thought I was the first to find the "perfect" actual location for a nice layout in the 11x6 space I had available. My layout is complete and although compressed somewhat I have been able to achieve I think a fair representation of the areas between the two bridges of the Midland line and also a little bit of the adjacent Great Western station. Look out for my efforts on facebook where my locoman 8f will be appearing on coal traffic. Incidentally I would love to know if a Stanier 8f ever ventured onto BRs version of this particular line, doubtful I know but hey ho.

There is a photo on the excellent Warwickshire Railways site of Stanier 8F No. 48700 on a northbound goods train at Studley & Astwood Bank Station so they did work on the Gloucester Loop Line between Evesham and Redditch in BR days.

There is a photo on the excellent Warwickshire Railways site of Stanier 8F No. 48700 on a northbound goods train at Studley & Astwood Bank Station so they did work on the Gloucester Loop Line between Evesham and Redditch in BR days.

Yes thanks for that. I did a bit more research after my post and came up with a lot more useful information. I wonder how the member who started this thread is getting on with his layout? My effort is only a fraction of his proposal and it took me forever to build it.

• 5 years later...