Bachmann announce Midland 1P, Class 20/3, BEP buffet car, VEA, Prestwin and Carflat

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Rather worryingly, D6714 and 37041 are both shown still having the ruddy great gouge in the bodyside under the cantrail grilles.  37049 and 37284 both have smooth bodysides though.  I hope that the first two will not be produced as shown on the Bachmann website.  If they have the gouge I won't be buying either.  If not it could be a bit expensive.

Hatton's now has them in stock and their photos confirm the D6714 and 37041 have the gouge but 37284 does not. Presumably this has something to do with the version of the body tooling being used. I had a look at previous releases and it seems that all 37/0s with the boiler exhaust port in the roof have the gouge, but those with plated over exhaust port may or may not. I did not but 37251 because of it, so am happy that 37284 doesn't.

Hatton's now has them in stock and their photos confirm the D6714 and 37041 have the gouge but 37284 does not. Presumably this has something to do with the version of the body tooling being used. I had a look at previous releases and it seems that all 37/0s with the boiler exhaust port in the roof have the gouge, but those with plated over exhaust port may or may not. I did not but 37251 because of it, so am happy that 37284 doesn't.

Oh well, that's another large wad of cash that's not heading in Bachmann's direction then (or rather the retailers).

Surprised theres not more excitement about the class 20/3. Looks like it will have a good set up and detail. I wonder if it would be able to lead to a refitted class 20 by using the chassis to allow for the 20 to get fitted with lights and cab lights as standard. I would have thought Bachmann would move to get this done, but I guess it depends on tooling costs and if they think it would be a worthwhile venture given the 20s still made tend to sell well.

When this class 20/3 is released too will be interesting. Will it take years, or will it leapfrog items such as the class 158 or class 90?

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just noticed and read through this thread.

It's brilliant that the 20/3 has been announced in three different liveries with three running numbers. I have emailed Bachmann several times about producing these because I personally really like the DRS Compass and HNRC Orange versions. I will certainly be buying some of the Compass 20/3s to renumber and the a couple of 20311 models, one to keep as 311 and other to renumber to 314. These will work really well operating flask trains and the tube stock. Really pleased that these have been announced.

Also pleased that Colas 37099, Europhoenix 37884, WCRC 47245 and GBRF 66779 have been announced too. I will definitely buy the Colas and Europhoenix 37s and the GBRF 66779. I might have to leave WCRC 47245 because I would ideally want two of these to run in top and tail formation. It depends how much they are and when they are released as to weather I will be able to afford these.

Really pleased that all of the above models have been announced. I just hope that the 20/3s are not too highly priced. Hattons have £129 quoted as an estimated price. Although considering that the newly tooled 70s with the air intake modifications are priced at £145 I doubt that this will be accurate.

Just noticed and read through this thread.

It's brilliant that the 20/3 has been announced in three different liveries with three running numbers. I have emailed Bachmann several times about producing these because I personally really like the DRS Compass and HNRC Orange versions. I will certainly be buying some of the Compass 20/3s to renumber and the a couple of 20311 models, one to keep as 311 and other to renumber to 314. These will work really well operating flask trains and the tube stock. Really pleased that these have been announced.

Also pleased that Colas 37099, Europhoenix 37884, WCRC 47245 and GBRF 66779 have been announced too. I will definitely buy the Colas and Europhoenix 37s and the GBRF 66779. I might have to leave WCRC 47245 because I would ideally want two of these to run in top and tail formation. It depends how much they are and when they are released as to weather I will be able to afford these.

Really pleased that all of the above models have been announced. I just hope that the 20/3s are not too highly priced. Hattons have £129 quoted as an estimated price. Although considering that the newly tooled 70s with the air intake modifications are priced at £145 I doubt that this will be accurate.

I agree with most of that, not least the affording bit! I hope that Bachmann take a leaf out of Dapol’s book and wire the lighting on the 20s appropriately for nose-to-nose and top-and-tail operation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree with most of that, not least the affording bit! I hope that Bachmann take a leaf out of Dapol’s book and wire the lighting on the 20s appropriately for nose-to-nose and top-and-tail operation.

I just really hope that the 20/3s are not too expensive. Don't get me wrong I am really grateful and admire Bachmann for announcing them but the price does concern me.

I personally think that Hattons estimated price of £129 seems a bit low. Considering that these probably won't arrive until 2018/2019 their is a bigger chance that the price will increase.

Although on the other hand Dapol have offered their first batch of six standard 68s at £124 each. But this is a different manufacturer. I suppose we will have to just wait and see. The Colas 70 by Bachmann was originally priced at £98 on Hattons then increased to £132 and then increased again to £145.

• RMweb Premium

So the Bachmann 70 rises in price from £98 to £145. I know I will be lambasted for daring to say this , but why is it Bachmann need to raise prices by 50%, yet the SLW class 24 price remains the same after 18 Months and several Releases?

I completely agree. Not to mention that the Bachmann Colas 70 isn't available until August/September either so their is a chance that the price may go up even more. Hopefully not.

Don't get me wrong I am sure that the Colas livery will be great on the 70 and the model will be fantastic but when you think about the price and the only modification compared to previous Class 70 models are the air intakes on the sides and the livery.

When you also consider that Dapol have just produced six Class 68s using brand new tooling for just £124 each. When in fact all Bachmann are doing is adding the air intakes and changing the livery and price is £20 more.

So the Bachmann 70 rises in price from £98 to £145. I know I will be lambasted for daring to say this , but why is it Bachmann need to raise prices by 50%, yet the SLW class 24 price remains the same after 18 Months and several Releases?

I may be wrong but I don't think Bachmann released a price for the class 70 it was more of a hattons guess the price at £98 when the model was first announced. Agree though that £145 is a lot of money.

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I may be wrong but I don't think Bachmann released a price for the class 70 it was more of a hattons guess the price at £98 when the model was first announced. Agree though that £145 is a lot of money.

Mark

It might have been a case of Hattons just estimating the price although for the price to change twice and for three different prices to be noted they may have had some guidance/inclination from Bachmann about the price rises. Unless Hattons have just been estimating with all three prices?

Like we have said and I agree it doesn't change the fact that £145 is very expensive for one loco.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is expensive for something which has already been tooled up, even if it does have an extra box on the side. I hope that the extra has paid for a re-wiring to make it possible to extinguish the tail lights.

That would be brilliant.

Hopefully the extra cost for the Bachmann Colas 70 is because the tooling has been modified/adjusted to incorporate the air intake boxes, thus meaning that because the 20/3 will be just one lot of tooling (for the three locos announced) then hopefully the price won't be too high because the tooling won't need to be adjusted.

It's getting out of hand. Completely understand their reasons for starting these increases a few years ago (Chinese economy etc etc), but recent prices are very difficult to justify for me, sadly. Bachmann are now above and beyond the other manufacturers in terms of price in many areas (locos, coaches and wagons), and not just the new tool models either. Looking at the percentage increases over the past 5 years is quite shocking...

• RMweb Gold

Nobody was ever going to get a Bachmann Class 70 for £98; that was just an over-optimistic guess on the part of Hatton's which has been exposed to the cold wind of reality. You only need to look at the prices of Hornby's higher-end diesels over the last 12 months to see it was nonsense.

Sterling crashed against the US Dollar after the referendum result and shows no sign of making a significant recovery any time soon. All the Chinese factories trade in US Dollars, making the recent hikes in UK prices inevitable. Basically, everything from Bachmann and all the others, that us cost £1 immediately pre-referendum will cost £1.20+ for the next few years, assuming things don't get even worse. We'll have to get used to that or walk away.

Looking at your SLW comment from the other end, they were charging £160 for an, admittedly higher spec., Class 24 eighteen months before Bachmann began asking £145 or thereabouts for a model of a larger (and arguably more complex) loco. Because SLW supply direct only, they get the whole margin that will be split between Bachmann and the retailer in the case of the Class 70 and there's zero discounting. They therefore should/would have had a bit more wriggle room over pricing, at least until they order the next batch.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The Class 70s with air intake modifications were announced in 2015 and at the time the price was TBA. In the same 2015 price list there was another Class 70 (31-588) which was still in stock from the previous year which had an RRP of £149.95 (OK it was weathered) so it wouldn't be feasibly sustainable that Hatton's would be selling the new version for £98. The first price stated for the Class 70 was in the 2016 price list at £154.95 and the RRP when released later this year will be £169.95.

I completely agree. Not to mention that the Bachmann Colas 70 isn't available until August/September either so their is a chance that the price may go up even more. Hopefully not.

Don't get me wrong I am sure that the Colas livery will be great on the 70 and the model will be fantastic but when you think about the price and the only modification compared to previous Class 70 models are the air intakes on the sides and the livery.

When you also consider that Dapol have just produced six Class 68s using brand new tooling for just £124 each. When in fact all Bachmann are doing is adding the air intakes and changing the livery and price is £20 more.

Are you having a laugh? So retooling a body and a repaint, with a £20 increase is 'expensive?' Glad you aren't one of my customers.

• Like 1

Are you having a laugh? So retooling a body and a repaint, with a £20 increase is 'expensive?' Glad you aren't one of my customers.

Except that Bachmann are in the business of mass production, so it's really somewhat of a false equivalence.