Bachmann announce Midland 1P, Class 20/3, BEP buffet car, VEA, Prestwin and Carflat

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see another run of 85s. ACs don't sell apparently, seems no-one told Bachmann that. More power to their pantographs

Andi

Will this be the version some of us would have liked in the first batch, I wonder, i.e. dominoes with BR double arrows?

Just seen they've chosen 37049 again... We've already had it in BR Blue so why not choose a different number for the Railfreight version? 47444 in large logo is good to see and would suggest the current 47436 has sold well. Not surprising when it's a pretty standard version ideal for renumbering.

The weathered versions of the 2H would suggest that Kernow has had trouble shifting them in view of the price hike they had to impose. A pity Bachmann hasn't taken the opportunity, if that's the right word, to add a centre car.

That is quite a lineup actually for existing tooling - plenty for the 90s Modeller and a bumper selection for the Modeller of today's railways. 90 still in drawing room though! Although with the Hornby 87 out this year it's less of a problem now.

Virgin 47 will be welcome!

• Like 2

I'll have a BEP, thank you very much Bachmann.  A bit of a no-brainer really as at least 75% of the work was already done :)

However I wish the BEP was unpowered.  With tests my CEP would happily pull 8 coaches trailing, so there's no real need for the BEP to be powered as well.

I wonder what price difference there would be between a powered and unpowered version?  Given that the BEP is likely to be over £200 based on current pricing, running a 12 car set is a bit eye watering.  Especially if you need more than one...

Some nice stuff here, but a word of caution. As I read repeatedly on RMWeb, "you're not a proper modeller if you rely on RTR". However, who gives a stuff about that..? On behalf of all "non-proper-modellers", thank you Bachmann!

:blum:

Seriously, the BEP is much appreciated.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Coming back to the Carflat in OO, I see its not listed in the status update pages. I wonder if it's already some way along the development timeline with considerable investment already made, or you'd think with the Oxford version expected this year Bachmann might have preferred to avoid the duplication and a risk of not getting a return on their investment.

Ain't it always the case, I strart builkding my Tru-Scale carflats and every body and their grandmother brings one out, still, so far Oxford Rail's version is a different one, so fingers crossed for the so far unspecified Bachmann variety, could now be an interesting rake!

Mike.

It does state BR MkI Carflats, so they will be different to the Oxfords.  That's a great announcement TBH.  

MkI CCTs enter the range proper - very useful. 

Of course, Bachmann have still avoided the two most common Class 47 livery and detail configurations for the Nth year running!  Ho hum  :angel:

• RMweb Premium

Finally the 4Bep.  Not in plain blue though and no re-issue of the 4Cep in that livery either which must surely be out of exclusivity by now.

An interesting item with the 2H Thumpers.  No doubt some commercial accommodation has been reached between Kernow MRC and Bachmann but note they are still only 2-car units.  Those of us hoping one day to see a 3H might yet die in the waiting room.

Overall a reasonably well balanced selection of new and new-livery / number existing-tool announcements.  One hopes they are delivered in a somewhat more timely manner than many of the items still in the drawing office or tool room.

• Like 1

I'll have a BEP, thank you very much Bachmann. A bit of a no-brainer really as at least 75% of the work was already done :)

However I wish the BEP was unpowered. With tests my CEP would happily pull 8 coaches trailing, so there's no real need for the BEP to be powered as well.

I wonder what price difference there would be between a powered and unpowered version? Given that the BEP is likely to be over £200 based on current pricing, running a 12 car set is a bit eye watering. Especially if you need more than one...

I agree, my Hornby vep is a mighty puller too! Can i ask, are there major detail differences between later refurbed units? Im holding out for an NSE or Jaffa cep but no look so far.

• RMweb Gold

As a 70s and 80s era modeller I am quite happy. Not too many things, but much more and the wallet would not cope.

For me:

4BEP

20174 in blue (hoping they have added lights)

44006 in blue

47444 in large logo (think this is ok to become 47595)

VEAs

Will probably have to buy Merl for the sake of it

Already got DBSO and 4TC on order so progress there is welcome.

Roy

• Like 1

Carflats - seems modellers will get a choice between Bachmann and Oxford Rail.

Not necessarily a choice but variety, as the Oxford model is based on the carflat with the ex Stanier coach underframe and this Bachmann announcement is for ones with BR Mk1 coach underframes. I assume they ran together on motorail and car transport movements.

• Like 1

GRRR

No Scottish class 37/0 blue large logo with steam heat ?

No Scottish class 37/0 and 37/3 based Motherwell of Railfreight and trainload metals ?

37049 in TL coal livery was a ML based loco for working to / from Ravsinscraig and was often seen on the Iron Ore workings. Edited by black and decker boy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suspected an unrefurbished 4BEP would eventually appear, however to clarify matters, they also ran solo to/from Portsmouth Harbour, as portions off London Victoria-Bognor services.

I don't think the BEPs often ran to Portsmouth, they usually being the middle/rear Bognor portion from Barnham. And the Central had the prototypes 7001/2, which had rather more classy interiors w loadsa real wood, and which Bachmann are not offering. Nevertheless, enjoying a beer after early turn, while diving headlong down Sole Street bank in a SE BEP from the production batches is a good memory. Perhaps someone will model Faversham, with the 12-cars splitting 8 for Ramsgate, 4 for Dover. 

• RMweb Premium

Can i ask, are there major detail differences between later refurbed units? Im holding out for an NSE or Jaffa cep but no look so far.

7153 aside, which was the prototype rebuild, the rebuilt (rather than refurbished) Cep units were very different indeed.  The brake was moved to the centre of the unit in the trailer first releasing the vans at either end for seating, all the windows were replaced with hopper-style rather than sliding toplights, the gangways were rebuilt with Pullman (Cig) style ends not the original flexible bellows ..... In short you would require a complete new set of tooling and pay accordingly.

Wasn't expecting anything more for the GC and my expectations were more than met!  Ah well; I still have the fun and enjoyment to gain from scratch and kit building. 

More than a little disappointed that the GC-liveried Director announced LAST JANUARY is still no closer to delivery; nor is there an update on when it might be coming.  A little whinge maybe but perhaps I'm not unreasonable in believing that a mere relivery job should be able to be delivered in the year it's announced.  New toolings on the other hand, yes.... they'll be ready when they are ready. 

The Midland 1P looks a lovely little loco to model and I'm sure it'll sell like hotcakes; seems to be an emerging trend for attractive Victorian/ Edwardian tank engines at the moment- if you model the south or the north west.  Pretty please can those of us modelling the east have one too?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"RF 30 YEARS"????

Sorry, but that was in 1981. Now that Bachmann has taken over EFE they should know that...

Not sure if you're serious, but it is (I presume; haven't checked) 30 years since the railfreight sector was launched.

Please can Bachmann hurry up with website updates!!! I am egally waiting to budgeting my spending for the year!!! Need to know how much the 450 and 150s will be!!! V.Worried about increases in prices cause of the addition of the pound losing value this past year!

Edited by centraltrains

Not sure if you're serious, but it is (I presume; haven't checked) 30 years since the railfreight sector was launched.

Yup. That's exactly what it says in the first line of Post #1...

Railfreight Sectorisation 30th Anniversary

celebrated by Bachmann in 2017

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 4