GWR HST

Revolution Mike B

Rapido managed to produce the Limited Edition 4 car APT-E with 2 motors and sound in both power cars for £325.   This certainly makes the GWR HST power cars well over priced when you consider that they only have one motor and IMHO poor TTS sound.   Maybe Rapido should buy out Hornby?

That was as a subscription model - Hornby have to maintain a more expensive retail distribution model.

• RMweb Premium

The Rapido APT is a superb model which was sold at a bargain price. However it is not fair to use as a benchmark for Hornby prices. Quite aside from the fact that the APT price was set 2 or 3 years ago, the model was commissioned by Locomotion, the retail arm of a tax payer funded museum, and manufactured to pre-order numbers. Rapido faced virtually no commercial risk, had no distribution costs to worry about other than delivery to their customer, and that customer charged a £50 deposit taken a year or more before delivery to ease their cash flow (with many consumers paying the full cost up front). And Rapido needed to establish themselves in the UK market, I'm guessing that Locomotion got an excellent deal. If Hornby made this GWR HST under those circumstances I'm guessing the model would be significantly cheaper.

• Like 1

I think Hornby did a fantastic job.......

I'd love it if Hornby did the FGW Barbie on the new-tool power cars, now that would be amazing!

Well ! If you think I'm expected to drive one in this frock you've got another thing coming dharlling !

Mind you I think is a pretty good match !!!

post-20303-0-02828800-1484262965.jpeg

Yours

Ken

• RMweb Premium

Anyone noticed that the price has now been reduced on the Hornby website....

Curious , but still £289.99 , so only a £20 drop I think. Still way too much for this. I would prefer the Limby Railroad one introduced in a range of liveries.

• Like 1

Curious , but still £289.99 , so only a £20 drop I think. Still way too much for this. I would prefer the Limby Railroad one introduced in a range of liveries.

It's a £30 drop from £319.99 to £289.99. I wonder if retailers will also drop their price?

• RMweb Gold

Large is relative.

I'm impressed that a company the size of Hornby, listed on the stock market, is making what comes across as a very honest statement about the difference between what they'd like to do and what they can afford to do, rather than putting a positive spin on things and trying to pretend that everything is wonderful even when it's clear it's not. .

Hornby are listed on AIM rather than the main market, so the rules are more relaxed and the market less liquid, hence the share price has been static for months. They can be more open as it does not have the impact it might on the full exchange

Colletts of Exmouth have it listed at £246.35. Wonder if this is set at the new lower price?

Prices seem to be all over the place at the moment! Wonder if the price will increase nearer the release date? Is it safe to preorder I wonder..?..

Edited by Shoey

• RMweb Gold

What do you think is wrong with the cabs?

Roy

Hi Roy

Sorry for the delayed reply, been a bit busy. 

Now, we have to work on the assumption that the artwork on the box (or in this case, the advert) is correct......in which case, the yellow nose panel wouldn't be visible from the side as shown. It should be exactly the same as the XC version.

I'm not in a position to add pictures right now but if you google both the Hornby XC and the GWR version, you'll see exactly what I mean. And for the record, you can't see the top half of the yellow panel on the real version from the side either!

The green is wrong as well, it's actually Teal Green which should have a blue tint to it, but then they got the blue FGW wrong too.

Here's hoping it's just a simple mistake with the artwork and they'll get the model correct - lets face it, I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Cheers

Mike 

Edited by scoobyra

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roy

Sorry for the delayed reply, been a bit busy.

Now, we have to work on the assumption that the artwork on the box (or in this case, the advert) is correct......in which case, the yellow nose panel wouldn't be visible from the side as shown. It should be exactly the same as the XC version.

I'm not in a position to add pictures right now but if you google both the Hornby XC and the GWR version, you'll see exactly what I mean. And for the record, you can't see the top half of the yellow panel on the real version from the side either!

The green is wrong as well, it's actually Teal Green which should have a blue tint to it, but then they got the blue FGW wrong too.

Here's hoping it's just a simple mistake with the artwork and they'll get the model correct - lets face it, I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Cheers

Mike

I beg to differ on that. The front of an HST is curved. As a result, when at 90 degrees to the front, you can see a small amount of yellow. The yellow panel on the Hornby VTEC HST is right, the artwork for ghat also showing a little yellow.

As for the green, I don't think Hornby or Bachmann look to have it quite right.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

I beg to differ on that. The front of an HST is curved. As a result, when at 90 degrees to the front, you can see a small amount of yellow. The yellow panel on the Hornby VTEC HST is right, the artwork for ghat also showing a little yellow.

As for the green, I don't think Hornby or Bachmann look to have it quite right.

Roy

Here you go Roy, this is what I mean

post-18825-0-93534400-1484759135.jpg

You can't see the yellow.....and the XC is identical to the GWR version. I'm hoping it's just an artist's error?

Edited by scoobyra

• RMweb Gold

Here you go Roy, this is what I mean

XC HST.jpg

You can't see the yellow.....and the XC is identical to the GWR version. I'm hoping it's just an artist's error?

Those are photos of the real thing, camera centred on the loco, perspective negating the curve on the front. If a camera were set up in line with the front you would see yellow. The artwork has no perspective which is why it shows.

Look at the VTEC HST, it is exactly the same - side on shots show no yellow, the artwork does.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Those are photos of the real thing, camera centred on the loco, perspective negating the curve on the front. If a camera were set up in line with the front you would see yellow. The artwork has no perspective which is why it shows.

Look at the VTEC HST, it is exactly the same - side on shots show no yellow, the artwork does.

Roy

Let's hope you're right.....because they've used the same image throughout the train packs

I would say it is wrong because it is a computer representation. The artwork for the Mk3s is correct, also  the Hitachi Class 800/0 sample at Warley captured GWR green very well. (Better than Bachmann's take on GWR green. Wow just said it, Hornby have done GWR green more accurately than Bachmann who are usually spot on!).

What I am more interested in, is whether the GWR branding shall be etched. On asking Hornby they were unable to comment.

• RMweb Premium

Green seems to be the one colour which gives manufacturers the most bother when scaling for models.  Take a look at the various iterations of the Bachmann green BCK for example, or the Hornby Bulleids.  The Bachmann 4Cep and 2EPB units are to my mind spot on but the Hornby 2Bil and 2Hal units are way off.  I haven't seen the latest Hornby offerings in the flesh but the Merlin HST appeared correct though being of the Lima-style the decoration wasn't superbly executed overall.  The various versions of the GWR class 57 are quite different between Heljan, Bachmann and Lima and the "matching" Mk2 Hornby coaches and Mk3 sleepers (fag packet and Merlin) are another shade again.

• RMweb Gold

Roy

Just to let you know Roy, they're not photos of the actual model, they're CGIs. I take your point on the VTEC so we can assume that the yellow panel will be in the correct place.

In two years or so the only HSTs operating in GWR livery will be four coach sets running between Exeter, Plymouth and Penzance.  I haven't seen any indication about the composition of these sets but I doubt they will include a buffet and probably not a TGS.  First class?  Maybe one FO and three SOs.  I wonder if some of the existing stock will even get the new livery.  they are already sending coaches off to be converted to remote doors and retention tanks etc.  Those that are not planned for conversion or transfer to Scotland may remain in FGW livery.

Mike

I don't think it was ever the intention to paint more than two full sets in the new GWR green livery, as they were all expected to be leaving the franchise. Now that some short sets are to be kept, more IC125s will presumably appear in green but it remains to be seen whether they are repainted before getting the new doors.

surely it isn't too hard to add a yellow stripe too one of Hornby's Standard class with renumbering being not that hard either if you are bothered about such things.

The new GWR green livery doesn't have a yellow stripe for first class, the livery differences between first and standard are less obvious than that, from a distance it looks like a one-class-only train.

I too would like to see the Railroad power cars return; the Lima model with a good-quality motor etc. would be great. If they were cheap enough I might even be tempted to buy them in the VT livery for repainting (although I've never done a repaint of a ready-painted model, and not sure what the best thing to start with is).

Teal Green? Are you just describing the colour because I seem to recall when the new GWR green livery was revealed a press release was put out saying the colour was specially mixed for GWR and is called 'GWR Green'.

I don't think it was ever the intention to paint more than two full sets in the new GWR green livery, as they were all expected to be leaving the franchise. Now that some short sets are to be kept, more IC125s will presumably appear in green but it remains to be seen whether they are repainted before getting the new doors.  The new GWR green livery doesn't have a yellow stripe for first class, the livery differences between first and standard are less obvious than that, from a distance it looks like a one-class-only train.  I too would like to see the Railroad power cars return; the Lima model with a good-quality motor etc. would be great. If they were cheap enough I might even be tempted to buy them in the VT livery for repainting (although I've never done a repaint of a ready-painted model, and not sure what the best thing to start with is).  Teal Green? Are you just describing the colour because I seem to recall when the new GWR green livery was revealed a press release was put out saying the colour was specially mixed for GWR and is called 'GWR Green'.

Looking at the latest prices for this Years Railroad stuff, if the old power cars did resurface, I very much doubt that the price would be seen as a bargain.

Calling colours by name is meaningless - if I recall correctly, Teal was the green used on Midland Mainline original livery yet it is nothing like the GWR green. Equally, calling it GWR green doesn't mean it's the same as the green of the old GWR. I've had models painted by Dave Lowery, who also paints them for GWR and he mixes the green shade. Bachmann's version on their 57 has a curious 'greyness' and is markedly different from the 150 that Dave sprayed for me. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Calling colours by name is meaningless - if I recall correctly, Teal was the green used on Midland Mainline original livery yet it is nothing like the GWR green. Equally, calling it GWR green doesn't mean it's the same as the green of the old GWR. I've had models painted by Dave Lowery, who also paints them for GWR and he mixes the green shade. Bachmann's version on their 57 has a curious 'greyness' and is markedly different from the 150 that Dave sprayed for me. (CJL)

Is it not time for the manufacturers of UK stock to come together and agree paint codes? It has to be in both their and our benefit? That way we may be able to end all this discussion, have stock from different suppliers matching and be able to respray to match also.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

A good example of the problems around scaling green and viewer perception of green is british racing green. That is a much darker shade than that normally used for models, if you used true brg on a model I suspect that people would go mad about it being far too dark.