GWR HST

Revolution Mike B

At risk of opening an old subject has anyone else noted that the HST could carry any livery combination.

All the big four standard schemes would look good.

This is why it is a design classic.

However one might change the 'clothes' and the whole consist still works.

Replace the passenger set with a sleeper set and it still looks good.

Shoot it over to be the Golden Arrow pullman

Or Atlantic Coast express.

Perhaps Jubilee streamlines or ECML Apple green and teak.

Even the thought of it in Santa Fe warbonnet with polished stainless passenger stock the whole consist still looks good.

I'd love a display cabinet of Class 43 in all feasible liveries as I don't believe there is anything it would look bad in.

Trouble is I'd need a bigger house to take the cabinet.

• RMweb Premium

I'd love a display cabinet of Class 43 in all feasible liveries as I don't believe there is anything it would look bad in.

Trouble is I'd need a bigger house to take the cabinet.

Every livery carried by anything ever? Pete Waterman would need a bigger house!

Anyone else noticed that the HST set says due Nov 2017 on Hornby's website but the coaches say August 2017.

That means we should be able to sample the finish on the coaches before committing to the rather more substantial HST purchase.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

No you won't have them next month. The latest Engine Shed says January 2018. The blog shows livery samples of the HST Power Cars and coaches and I have to say I think they look great. The gloss finish doesn't look too overpowering, and the etched GWR logo is a nice inclusion.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/the-right-maroon-plus-etched-crests-for-our-gwr-hst/

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

I'm n gauge, so just watch this with half interest wishing Dapol had got the shape of the nose slightly better, but do the Hornby mk3s really have buffers!?

GWR-detail-1-web.jpg

For the record I think the gloss finish looks good, and the etched logos look good too.

Edited by njee20

I'm n gauge, so just watch this with half interest wishing Dapol had got the shape of the nose slightly better, but do the Hornby mk3s really have buffers!?

GWR-detail-1-web.jpg

For the record I think the gloss finish looks good, and the etched logos look good too.

Just my 2 pence worth....the buffers are removable. So if it's incorrect just pull them off. Also it may be a pre-production sample error

No you won't have them next month. The latest Engine Shed says January 2018. The blog shows livery samples of the HST Power Cars and coaches and I have to say I think they look great. The gloss finish doesn't look too overpowering, and the etched GWR logo is a nice inclusion.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/the-right-maroon-plus-etched-crests-for-our-gwr-hst/

What a shame. Until yesterday it said: expected September 2017.

• RMweb Premium

In one respect it gives us more time to save, will be worth the wait looking at the pictures....

Yes indeed it will be. The gloss is nowhere near as full on as I thought it was going to be. At least it doesn't look that way in the images.

Yes indeed it will be. The gloss is nowhere near as full on as I thought it was going to be. At least it doesn't look that way in the images.

To me the gloss is worse, it looks like a shiny 1970s kids toy, particularly around the cab.

Actually, I would like to thank Hornby for reminding me of something I had forgotten.  Seeing the actual GWR units had me thinking it might be something to model, but this reminded me of the private message I sent to someone when the GWR livery was introduced pointing out the reliance on paint texture would be problematic to model.

Needless to say the idea of a GWR layout has been abandoned as I suspect dealing with the toy plastic look would eliminate the contrasts in the livery.

To me the gloss is worse, it looks like a shiny 1970s kids toy, particularly around the cab.

Totally agree. The gloss makes a decent detailed HST Class 43 look like a child's toy at £289! It is something I would expect to see in a beachside arcade. Worse though, is how the gloss shows up the Mk3 coaches for what they are, below todays standard. Oxford Rail's Mk3 is walking all over the Hornby Mk3.

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree. The gloss makes a decent detailed HST Class 43 look like a child's toy at £289! It is something I would expect to see in a beachside arcade. Worse though, is how the gloss shows up the Mk3 coaches for what they are, below todays standard. Oxford Rail's Mk3 is walking all over the Hornby Mk3.

With respect, whilst I am no fan of gloss models, many people seem to like what Hornby are doing with this model, it certainly shows the difference with the matt stripe.

As for the Oxford offering, it shows potential but given other offerings from them and the livery errors that seem to persist in the MK3 examples shown so far, I would wait before making any comparison. After all, they have only shown us one side so far  :wink_mini: 

Roy

• RMweb Premium

I believe that previous Hornby Mk3's have had buffers....

Yes they all have buffers but they are removable.  Not ideal but remember too that the IC OO "trailers" were also numbered in the LHCS series and therefore buffers were correct.

It's all down to personal preference I know but I really like the gloss finish. In fact I really struggle to understand why everything in model form seems to be satin or matt when the real thing is glossy unless it has got mucky. Clean satin doesn't quite cut it. But then I do like Hornby Dublo shiny coaches....

• RMweb Premium

It's all down to personal preference I know but I really like the gloss finish. In fact I really struggle to understand why everything in model form seems to be satin or matt when the real thing is glossy unless it has got mucky. 

Because glossy models look rather different to glossy things in full scale.

After perusing Rails video, and seeing the rather Drab looking Class 800 sample in Green, plus Bachmann's 57, I think Hornby have made a good choice of finish.  It certainly looks more like how you see the things in real life at the moment, and to be honest GWR seem to keep things clean, so personally all for it.  Looking forward to getting mine...please don't disappoint me Hornby!  And if it looks good in the flesh, hope Hornby re-consider doing the Class 800 in Gloss too, so they match.  Logic to me would be, most people with a GWR HST will be the ones buying the Class 800, and as they span the same years, would be nice if people could run them together and they didnt look like chalk and cheese....

Regards,

C.