Finney WC 34048

Did all the rods and drain cocks come with the kit? I have always had to supply. I like the mounting holding the cocks so the cylinders can be removed.

Yes all included. There are so many parts it's amazing.

Yes all included. There are so many parts it's amazing.

Thanks it was me being stupid. I was just writing on the Ace A3 thread and got confused. I am led to believe it happens as you age. But I blame in on the children.

Edited by N15class

It's been a long weekend here (Mother's Day holiday) so I have spent eth tiem converting this:

post-13840-0-59199300-1502713663_thumb.jpg

into this:

post-13840-0-64845600-1502713666_thumb.jpg

Also made progress with the slide bar support.

post-13840-0-96390100-1502713670_thumb.jpg

I haven't shown the part that took the longest for the slidebar assembly: the slidebar and crossheads!

• Like 7

This week saw the completion of the ashpan and a start made on the injectors.

post-13840-0-22345800-1503231357_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-29104100-1503231358_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-07637400-1503231361_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-47769200-1503231362_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-52888300-1503231363_thumb.jpg

I've also taken time to laminate the spring and brake castings.

post-13840-0-48315200-1503231372_thumb.jpg

No pictures but the connecting rods have also been made up and joined to the crossheads, which are now a good sliding fit in the slidebars, but not yet fitted.

I have to divert from my plan to get the brakes assembled as I have discovered that the 1.2mm tubing required has gone walkabout and my plastic tube of 1.2mm tubing contains 0.5mm tubing. So that's now on the Telford shopping list. Pity as I had hoped to have a complete working chassis by next weekend.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Page 5!!!! I knew it had been some time since posting, but page 5!

Construction came to a complete stop through September. The trip home for Telford was followed by a two week business trip to Australia within a week of getting back to Bangkok, followed a couple of days later by a two day trip to Taiwan. So I haven't been capable of rational thought let alone holding a soldering iron in anger.

Now I am getting over the jet lag, activities have resumed.

I have been working on the brake gear. No photos yet - weekend probably - and only slow progress. The Telford trip did permit a supply of 1.2mm tube to be procured and lengths of these have now been soldered to the brake hangers. Additionally 14BA nuts have been soldered inside the frames so that 14BA screws will hold the brakes in place and allow disassembly. Having been away from the workbench for an age, progress was slow as I feel my way back into it.

It is good to be back at the bench............

• Like 1

Good progress at the bench yesterday saw the brakes completed.

post-13840-0-30095600-1507425110_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-27740200-1507425120_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-20930100-1507425142_thumb.jpg

I love the slack adjuster casting.

I strongly recommend making the brakes detachable or fitting the sand gear before doing the brakes. I have yet to add the sanders and I think it would be close to impossible to do it with the brakes in place. So I'll try and get these done today and then get the cylinders and slide bars completed.

• Like 8

I decided that the sanders will be fitted last: less chance of getting knocked. So I reverted to the slidebar/cylinder assembly.

As the slidebar mounts are separate to the cylinder mounts, alignment is more difficult than on a conventional arrangement with the slidebars hung off the cylinders. As well as vertical alignment the lateral alignment needs to be considered and although the design and etches are excellent, it is taking some time to get everything square. I suspect that I will open out the cylinder glands a little more than usual to compensate. 

Nearly there though and photos to follow.

I spent a few evenings this week getting the slidebar assembly set up properly. I watched two episodes of 'House of Cards' on Netflix running the crosshead up and down the slidebars to ensure no tight spots.........The centre wheels now rotate smoothly when the con rods are connected so I am sure that the chassis rolls freely. I had to pack under teh slidebar mounts to lift it. Probably a combination pf tolerances going the wrong way where I had made folds. Forgot to photograph that.

If you put in all the drain pipe runs around the cylinder assembly, you will not be able to detach the cylinders from the frames. I am still wondering whether or not this is an issue. I don't want the slide bars in situ when I spray the frames. The cylinders and slidebars have to be introduced at the same time so the cylinders will get sprayed separately.

Meanwhile I reverted to the few remaining jobs on the frames so that I can get them sprayed. I had given up trying to fit the generator in place: couldn't see how it should fit. Then I discovered that Mr Stupid (yes David, hand up - again) had forgotten to drill out the three mounting holes in the base plate. Once that was done everything fell into place.....

post-13840-0-56162100-1508035086_thumb.jpg

With the wheels out it is obvious where teh sandpipes locate, so the next jobs are completing the pipework and sanders.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Yes it's a stone's generator. I would imagine the two are very similar.

As far as I remember the power was used to power electric headlamps controlled from the cab and UV lighting in the cab to illuminate the gauges at night. There might even have been some inspection lights but my reference books are packed away so I can't check.

Jamie

The plumbers have been in today.

attachicon.gif004.JPG

attachicon.gif005.JPG

attachicon.gif006.JPG

attachicon.gif007.JPG

attachicon.gif008.JPG

attachicon.gif009.JPG

attachicon.gif010.JPG

attachicon.gif012.JPG

Hope you are checking the free movement of the trailing wheels. On mine in the end I had to make the wheels side movement as great as possible within the framework that's supposed to move. This may of been the poor kit design or me adding better casting from other manufacturers.

Looking great now. They are very busy under the cab.