GWR Toplights Poll  

156 members have voted

1. 1. What era Great Western / WR steam do you model?

• Pre 1920's
    • 1920 to 1939 - Shirtbutton era
    • WW2
    • Post WW2
    • Post Nationalisation WR steam
  2. 2. If R-T-R Toplight carriages were brought to the market you much would you spend?

3. 3. How many are you likely to buy?

4. 4. Given the plethora of types and how these changed over the years, which is important?

• 3rd class corridor stock
    • 3rd class non corridor
    • Brake 3rd (LH & RH) corridor stock
    • Brake 3rd non-corridor
    • Composite corridor stock
    • Brake composite corridor stock
    • Brake composite non corridor
    • 1st class corridor stock
    • Restaurant carriage
    • Full Brake van e.g.(Toplight K22 etc.)
    • Single slip
    • Double slip
  5. 5. Which actual stock would you buy?

• 48ft non corridor 3rd class C37
    • 48ft non corridor Brake 3rd D62
    • 48ft non corridor Composite E101
    • 57ft non corridor 1st class A15
    • 57ft non corridor Brake 3rd D49
    • 57ft non corridor Composite E89
    • 57ft corridor 3rd class C32
    • 57ft corridor composite E83/85
    • 57ft corridor Brake 3rd class E47
    • 56ft corridor Brake Composite E82
    • 70ft corridor 1st class A13
    • Restaurant carriage H16
    • Double slip carriage F21
    • Single slip carriage F15/16
    • Full Brake K22
    • 70ft 3rd class carriage C29
    • 70ft Brake 3rd carriage D51
    • 70ft composite carriage E84
    • C35 3rd class 57ft
    • D56 Brake 3rd 57ft
    • E98/E103 Composite

• RMweb Gold

I did see some gossip in a thread which I can't now find that Slaters have recovered or are in possession of their 4mm kit moulds , I gave up looking again after pouring through so much troll

tripe in the trade section did anyone else see it ?.                                                                                                                                                                                                                          :hunter:            

I did see some gossip in a thread which I can't now find that Slaters have recovered or are in possession of their 4mm kit moulds , I gave up looking again after pouring through so much troll

tripe in the trade section did anyone else see it ?. :hunter:

You aren't imagining that, guess was in one of the Coopercraft threads?

Afull k

it is now just short of £100 to buy a toplight coach kit without wheels so for an rtr you do not have to build, not unreasonable.

Mike Wiltshire

Agree. And for mere mortals getting a finish like modern day RTR for complex liveries or things like painting bolections would be beyond us. 

That does assume though that the kits are actually available eg are David Geen kits available right now - believe the business is to be sold and he has some (understandable) altered priorities in the meantime - and the issues with Slaters are covered elsewhere. So I'm exploring a DIY (ish) alternative to the latter.

• RMweb Gold

The last I heard is that David Geen is giving up at the end of ExpoEM South in Bracknell in May, I believe that he is also due at Scaleforum North in April.

The trouble trying to buy anything from him at shows he's surrounded by a load of old windbags not coming up for air I've given up on several occations. :threaten:

• RMweb Premium

The trouble trying to buy anything from him at shows he's surrounded by a load of old windbags not coming up for air I've given up on several occations. :threaten:

I always send him an email, of what I want a couple of weeks before the show, don't expect a reply, but I find that once I catch his eye he will sort out my stuff or have a word with his Mrs, she's always helpful and gets his attention if needs be.

davidgeen111@gmail.com

He may no

The last I heard is that David Geen is giving up at the end of ExpoEM South in Bracknell in May, I believe that he is also due at Scaleforum North in April.

I always send him an email, of what I want a couple of weeks before the show, don't expect a reply, but I find that once I catch his eye he will sort out my stuff or have a word with his Mrs, she's always helpful and gets his attention if needs be.

He is not certain he will be attending Bracknell, Scaleforum north is more likely to be his last show.

It is David's 'Mrs' that is his greatest priority as she is not well at all at the moment, railways are fitted in around family, when he has time.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Being realistic if a range of corridor Toplights were ever to appear rtr  and be viable we will need to compromise..... they would need to share a standard length underframe say 57ft .... if a longer length then this would look odd on the tight curves most of us favour

I would prefer the coaches to be panelled showing relief (not like the last Hornby clerestory coaches). This way would make it easier for any one wishing to adapt them to partially or flush coaches.

If there were 3 my preference would be a Brake comp (which seem rare in rtr), a composite , brake third, and maybe a full brake

Something"more exotic" like a slip coach or a restaurant car would be nice but I guess unlikely

R

Being realistic if a range of corridor Toplights were ever to appear rtr  and be viable we will need to compromise..... they would need to share a standard length underframe say 57ft .... if a longer length then this would look odd on the tight curves most of us favour

I would prefer the coaches to be panelled showing relief (not like the last Hornby clerestory coaches). This way would make it easier for any one wishing to adapt them to partially or flush coaches.

If there were 3 my preference would be a Brake comp (which seem rare in rtr), a composite , brake third, and maybe a full brake

Something"more exotic" like a slip coach or a restaurant car would be nice but I guess unlikely

R

There must be an all third.

Chris KT

• 2 weeks later...

R

The E95 brake compo would be ideal as there was a slip version the F20, the only difference being the corridor end being replaced by the three window slip and vacuum tanks fitted.

post-9992-0-37114400-1517004253_thumb.jpg

There was never an actual toplight restaurant as such as, although in the same 'style, there were not actually any toplight windows.

post-9992-0-05159400-1517004353_thumb.jpg

The closest was the converted tea cars.

post-9992-0-04872400-1517004368_thumb.jpg

It is a constant conversation as to how many toplights would actually sell. Kit sales of toplights have never been better. As I write this David Geen is packing more toplights to fulfil worldwide orders.

Worsley Works is introducing more toplight sides with the F20 mentioned above as a bespoke set of body sides and ends.

The Blacksmith ones have been around for 50 years now and still sell immediately second hand. 

If all these kits are being built would there be the mass sales? A group of us discussed how many they would buy and the sad reality is not many. My response was none at all. Having built all the toplights I really need and more on the bench, the rtr boys would not benefit from my wallet. They many not be up to modern rtr standard but they are acceptable to me.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 7

on the GWR.ORG web site it is listed as NYA, but that site has a lot of incorrect information on it as it lists all the Blacksmith kits as NLA which is incorrect as they are still available as etches only.

The Blacksmiths are listed as NYA as they are tied up in the black hole of Cooper-Craft, and I think most people will agree that it is best not to advertise them as 'available', because the kits are not available, and such etches that are available are only what Dunn may have in his old stock. I am not aware he is making new etches.

All corrections to the gwr.org.uk listing are nevertheless very welcome.

Edited by Miss Prism

Is the second coach in your photo a H16, and if so the door on the right hand end is hung around the wrong way as this coach and some of the other H coaches such as the H22, H25, H24 at least also had the door on the same side hung on the right hand side most likely so the commode handle was not so near the end of the coach. Auto coach A27 drivers doors (I think all the Auto coaches with the central doors opened the same end to avoid the leaver for the low platform steps) and B set E129 also had doors like this. 

Also it was the vacuum reservoir cylinders which were hung across the coach as in your photo, and not gas cylinders as you stated for your F20. 

Interesting if David Geen has got the door right for his H16 kit if it has come out yet as on the GWR.ORG web site it is listed as NYA, but that site has a lot of incorrect information on it as it lists all the Blacksmith kits as NLA which is incorrect as they are still available as etches only.   

Yes the H16 is wrong with the door position, some thing I have been aware of for over 30 years but I am not changing it now.

It is correct on the David Geen etch with his H16 kit which has been available now, for many years.

post-9992-0-64086700-1517172542_thumb.jpgpost-9992-0-94387200-1517172549_thumb.jpg

And the H15 as well.

post-9992-0-84554300-1517172576_thumb.jpgpost-9992-0-13865500-1517172570_thumb.jpg

Again you are correct with the F20 they are Vacuum cylinders not gas.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3

Let's not stop at toplights.
Non corridors, an extension of the Bow Ender range, B sets, pre war auto coaches and some more brown vehicles. While this won't be possible overnight, it Is not unreasonable to hope for many of these items over the next few years given what is available to modellers of other regions, especially the Southern.
It's disappointing that Hornby didn't extend their grouping non-corridor range and that Bachmann haven't released any GWR carriages (unless you count the superb Hawksworth auto coach) since the Collett sunshine stock which is an old mainline tooling.
If the demand is there to release many of these items in 0 gauge as Dapol have discovered, then surely there is demand in 00 for an up to date range?

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Premium

Let's not stop at toplights.

Non corridors, an extension of the Bow Ender range, B sets, pre war auto coaches and some more brown vehicles. While this won't be possible overnight, it Is not unreasonable to hope for many of these items over the next few years given what is available to modellers of other regions, especially the Southern.

It's disappointing that Hornby didn't extend their grouping non-corridor range and that Bachmann haven't released any GWR carriages (unless you count the superb Hawksworth auto coach) since the Collett sunshine stock which is an old mainline tooling.

If the demand is there to release many of these items in 0 gauge as Dapol have discovered, then surely there is demand in 00 for an up to date range?

It does strike as a bit odd that Bachmann have not done any new GWR carriages yet. Instead as you say relying on models that are some 30+ years old.

Hopefully as they are not shown in this years catalogue, might mean something new is coming for 2019.

• Like 1

It does strike as a bit odd that Bachmann have not done any new GWR carriages yet. Instead as you say relying on models that are some 30+ years old.

Hopefully as they are not shown in this years catalogue, might mean something new is coming for 2019.

I certainly hope so! Although I was very happy that Dapol announced the large prairie and 43xx, it was disappointing that the two big manufacturers announced almost no pre war GWR items. It'll help me save for the Dapol release, but I hope it's not the sign of a general trend from Bachmann or Hornby.

Another vote for some N gauge toplight coaches here. For the Birmingham suburban layout I'd like to build I think I'd need a selection of gangwayed and non-gangwayed coaches. Ideally coaches suited to the post-Second World War period, both pre-nationalisation and early British Railways.

• 2 weeks later...

Great poll Neal. Apparently I'm very late to the party. I'm sorry I missed it earlier.

I'd probably actually buy just about anything that was produced in terms of GWR toplights, but put my votes where my preferences were, rather than ticking all the boxes indiscriminately, which helps no one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great poll Neal. Apparently I'm very late to the party. I'm sorry I missed it earlier.

I'd probably actually buy just about anything that was produced in terms of GWR toplights, but put my votes where my preferences were, rather than ticking all the boxes indiscriminately, which helps no one.

Thanks for the comments.

We now have 122 votes. Hopefully we will get some new carriages from Bachmann soon....

• Like 2

• 3 months later...